Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kain
Nope, I wanted to ask this in the plasma forum to see how its performance is with plasmas.
Ask me in about a month -- There is a 50% chance that I'll have a TH-42PWD5UY. (Also a 50% chance I'll have the Sony KF-50XBR800 :)

Either way, I'll post my findings.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just got my Pio 503cmx and Denon 1600. Right now I'm running it directly into the Pio with cheap Radio Shack coax cable. The picture is very smooth and nicely detailed. I haven't tried to compare it with my Pio combo player yet though, but I'm sure it's better (it's several years newer). I'll post more impressions when I have the time to do some extensive comparisons.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kain
If so, how do you like it?
Have had the Denon 1600 with Pio 533 for about 8 months. Works great with an excellent picture. It is running in progressive mode at 525P and looks as good as the 1080i HDTV signals from Comcast. I will be getting a Key Digital processing board when it is released. I am interested in how much better it will be at native rate.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I was able to compare the denon 1600mk2 on a panny 42 SD a few months ago, with a few other dvd players, including some miscellaneous sony and [onkyo?]. They were all connected with s-video. The other two dvd players left alot of faint shimmering pixels in the letterbox blacks and color gradients, the Denon did not. Very smooth, very dynamic.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the 1600 mated with a Panny TH-42PWD5UY (2-months worth of viewing by now); I think the picture is excellent and I like the player very much. I wish the layer-change was still a bit faster, the 3 meg memory buffer doesn't seem to do anything to speed up the layer change, but video quality is what I cared about most and this one is an outstanding performer for the $$ IMHO.

The remote is only marginal--the critical buttons (advance, skip, play, pause, etc.) are all really small, relatively the same size, and are right up at the top of the remote which is a little backward from what I'm used to--I personally find it's a pain to use in the dark which is why I almost never use the stock remote anymore, but that's just me.

I only have 2 DVD-A titles on hand but they sound wonderful, unfortunately, the bass management is very limited as there's only a single x-over point that I find a bit high for my speakers (100 Hz). In direct A/B tests, even after channel level equalization, I also felt that the internal DD and dts decoders just aren't as precise as you might get when using a HT receiver with its own surround processing. I'm sure this isn't a big surprise to many, but just FYI in case you've only got a 5.1-ready receiver and not one that has its own decoder built in; again, this may be due to the limited bass management capabilities.

All in all, it's a very fine player though there are surely others out there with equal or greater performance, but I doubt you would be disappointed.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I had the denon 1600 and returned it for the panny xp-50 because it didn't have a few features I needed in a DVD player(time remaining,position memory).The pq for both players was the same and if you have a DVD with good transfer you will be amazed at the picture.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Kain, check your PM...

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.