AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the concept demo at CES but didn't know about the 9Gs being shown. Anyone here see the 9Gs? How would you say they compared to the concept Kuro being shown at the presentation? Were the darks any darker than the current 8G? That concept Kuro looked great and the current Kuros look very good as well. The small size of the current Kuros is holding me back which is good since they will keep improving with time but if the 9Gs look even close to the cocept they were showing and if the rumors about them coming out with a 75" are true - I might have to bite the bullet this year.

THanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
After paying attention to the display device market for awhile now, and after many years of keeping abreast of audio components, one thing is clear. They are most similar. The BEST IT CAN BE is very a transitory concept. The 7G sets were "the blackest blacks". The 8g are purported to be MUCH better because of "yet deeper blacks". Now, black should be black no? Not sure how 9G sets can be BLACKER, if previous sets were IN FACT black. Ha!

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
So only certain people saw them in Vegas?I cant figure out what Pioneer is up to.I just want to know what I can buy next fall from pioneer

·
Registered
545 Posts
The discussions I had with Pioneer indicated that the current sets (8G) will be in production through 2008 and there is no plan to release a 9G set in 2008. They feel that they are still significantly better than the competittion and I would expect 9G release in 2009.

I don't think I can really discuss 9G details (at least I shouldn't, so I won't), but forget about it for 2008 as far as I was told.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTSteve /forum/post/12935360

The discussions I had with Pioneer indicated that the current sets (8G) will be in production through 2008 and there is no plan to release a 9G set in 2008. They feel that they are still significantly better than the competittion and I would expect 9G release in 2009.

I don't think I can really discuss 9G details (at least I shouldn't, so I won't), but forget about it for 2008 as far as I was told.

Thanks for the info - that is too bad, their Kuros are nice but too small for what I'd like. Hopefully panasonic will release their larger plasmas soon.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe /forum/post/12935592

Thanks for the info - that is too bad, their Kuros are nice but too small for what I'd like. Hopefully panasonic will release their larger plasmas soon.

??????? you can buy the panny 103" right now for $70,000. are you waiting on the new 150" ??????

·
Registered
474 Posts

Quote:

Steve, do you think that comment includes the new 11G Pannys?

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:

I was under the impression Pioneer released their model year announcements a little later than most people at CES.

D-Nice has stated multiple times, along with other members that the 9G panel will not have the absolute blacks of the concept Kuro, but will still be an improvement.

I was also thinking that if the new 11G Pannys that are coming out this year have Kuro comparable black levels or better (from the 2008 Panny thread), then Pioneer will not only be using its last gen to compete, but this year be outdone for a lower price. This makes no sense for a company to not do at least minor surgery to call it a 9G to compete with the new generation models.

D-Nice or anyone else for that matter, I was wondering if this no 9G in 2008 is true from your sources?

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I guess you have to choose what you want to believe.

If you look around the threads, there is info about the G9s. Saying that the black level from the G7s to the G8s is about 80% darker, and the G9 looking to be 80% darker than the G8.

Here is a link to pictures of the G9 and it's comparison to the G8.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688534

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman /forum/post/12940103

I guess you have to choose what you want to believe.

If you look around the threads, there is info about the G9s. Saying that the black level from the G7s to the G8s is about 80% darker, and the G9 looking to be 80% darker than the G8.

Here is a link to pictures of the G9 and it's comparison to the G8.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688534

Thanks for the link. That was a good read, and a nice taste of what's to come from Pioneer in the near future. Shame on those people that have been predicting Plasma TV's demise all these years. Could they be more wrong??? Not only will Plasma video tech survive deep into the next decade, but will be on equal PQ footing & video advancement as OLED. Pioneer's new plasma tech is set to be OLED's main competitor w/larger screens & cheaper prices. Amazing...

·
Registered
3,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy /forum/post/12940454

Thanks for the link. . Pioneer's new plasma tech is set to be OLED's main competitor w/larger screens & cheaper prices. Amazing...

That is amazing. Also, from several sources here on the forums, we should expect larger sizes for the G9s. The most common rumor is 75" with 70" being a close 2nd. (I hope it's at least 75"!!!!) Also rumored all G9s will be 1080p.

The comment that Pioneer said, "current sets (8G) will be in production through 2008 and there is no plan to release a 9G set in 2008." may be true or not true. What I'm thinking, a comment like that may be to help sales of current models from declining. And in a way, I don't blame them as I am one (along with others I'm sure) to withhold buying till new models come out.

Learning of standard DVDs, kept me from buying Laserdiscs, learning of Blu-ray a few years ago kept me from buying standard DVDs. And the march goes on.

·
Registered
18,918 Posts

Quote:

I can tell you that whom ever told you this is completly wrong. 9G Kuros are coming....and yes they are better than the current Kuros and anything else that will be on the market this year.

·
Registered
126 Posts
All I can say is whew...I know a lot of people think D-Nice's claims are often hard to believe, but he has an excellent track record and is kind enough to share some of what he knows so thanks for keeping us quasi-'in the loop'.

I was all ready to pull the trigger on a 5080, but it was near the end of the year and I decided to hold off to see what the 9Gs would entail to make my final decision. Im glad I waited, and as with every year, prices tend to fall due to better efficiency in production and such. So whoever almost crushed my 9G hopes for a second there, damn you for giving me a heart attack, and thanks D-Nice for the defib action...I kid obviously...but seriously, these TVs are out of control.

Now I just hope the whole absolute black bug doesn't bite me in a couple years...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing these show up. all they have to do for me is be brighter, mayber a little thinner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/12942762

I can tell you that whom ever told you this is completly wrong. 9G Kuros are coming....and yes they are better than the current Kuros and anything else that will be on the market this year.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip E /forum/post/12943135

I'm looking forward to seeing these show up. all they have to do for me is be brighter, mayber a little thinner?

Do you normally watch TV during the day or with all the lights on?

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Thanks D-nice

1 - 20 of 27 Posts