AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,577 Posts
I believe Ash has a 12' Stewart AT curved with full sized Aerials behind. CIH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw /forum/post/20839496


Guys, I'm looking for feedback from anyone using (or have viewed/listened to) an AT curved screen. Thoughts/opinions? Thanks.



Jim

Yup...I have an AT Stewart Cinecurve STudioTek 130...what would you like to know....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'll also check with Ash.


Joel, looking for feedback on the sonics in particular. I'm clear on the stated benefits (A-lens, contrast, light, etc.), but wondering what owners are experiencing in their setups. Any compromises? Thanks!


Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw
Thanks guys, I'll also check with Ash.


Joel, looking for feedback on the sonics in particular. I'm clear on the stated benefits (A-lens, contrast, light, etc.), but wondering what owners are experiencing in their setups. Any compromises? Thanks!


Jim
I have not been in all home theatres but am very happy with the sonics of my home theatre and, among those dedicated theatres that I have been in the sound in mind is right up there...in short I am very happy with the setup and have no thoughts of changing it...


I would also add that one of the first things that I did notice with the benefits of having the speakers behind the screen was that the sound "tracked" the movie better...the audio / video integration was improved...


Hope this helps and have a good day...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
Jim,

Jeff is correct, I have a 12 foot wide AT Screen Stewart Cinecurve with masking..

We all know the advantages of AT screens and many in the forum can comment.

The Stewart Cinecurve costs a bundle and looks great 'huge cool factor'... but I am not sure of the benefits of a curved screen over a flat screen - and Stewart touts the benefits on their web site...

So in summary, the curved screen is cool and there are so called advantages of the curved screen which is hard to compare until you do a side by side comparison in the same room and same conditions....

I am not sure if next time I would go with a 16 foot flat screen versus a 12 foot Cinecurve..

Ash
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
I've had a 15 foot wide 16:9 Stewart curved AT screen for eight years. As Ash says, side-by-side comparisons would be ideal but rare, and I can't make that comparison. Other than the debate about sound through an AT screen which comes up every so often, the only compromise that occurs to me is the need for greater proscenium depth so that the center channel is at an optimum distance behind the screen. With my wide screen and its attendant curve that's a significant issue. I have a difficult time doing maintenance to speakers/electronics behind the screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joel, Ash and jmanthey, thanks for the comments, very helpful.


I just ordered the 12' AT Cinecurv with the cover so we'll see how it goes. Cannot go any bigger given the room size of this new house in FL.


Ash, until we do what Art did, we'll always be looking to go bigger!



Thanks again guys!



Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,725 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma /forum/post/20841237


Jim,

Jeff is correct, I have a 12 foot wide AT Screen Stewart Cinecurve with masking..

We all know the advantages of AT screens and many in the forum can comment.

The Stewart Cinecurve costs a bundle and looks great 'huge cool factor'... but I am not sure of the benefits of a curved screen over a flat screen - and Stewart touts the benefits on their web site...

So in summary, the curved screen is cool and there are so called advantages of the curved screen which is hard to compare until you do a side by side comparison in the same room and same conditions....

I am not sure if next time I would go with a 16 foot flat screen versus a 12 foot Cinecurve..

Ash

Isn't the screen to projector distance an important factor in determining if a curved screen provides a benefit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampfox /forum/post/20842189


Isn't the screen to projector distance an important factor in determining if a curved screen provides a benefit?


Yes, if the benefit you are looking for corrects for pincushion (which was one of the main reasons why the curved screen was developed, IIRC). Obviously, the shorter the throw, the more pincushion. Implied in your comment is these screens may not be helpful at long throws where pincushion is less apparent, or eliminated (visually), and I agree. I've only got 24' to work with which is why I opted for the curved screen. I was mainly interested in what curved AT screen owner's thought about the acoustical properties of the screen, but also appreciated the overall comments about performance.


There are additional benefits to these screens as well, but mostly subjective.


Jim
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw /forum/post/20842158


Joel, Ash and jmanthey, thanks for the comments, very helpful.


I just ordered the 12' AT Cinecurv with the cover so we'll see how it goes. Cannot go any bigger given the room size of this new house in FL.


Ash, until we do what Art did, we'll always be looking to go bigger!



Thanks again guys!



Jim

Jim,

Good luck... Stewart is the best when it come to screens..

I do remember that Stewart customs the screen when you tell them what projector you have and the distance of the projector lens to the screen...

The screen material is also to be matched with the projector as I remember that when I switched from Qualia to Sim 2 Lumis Host I got moire on my Greyhawk screen material...

Ash
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Dennis erskine told me distance from the edge of screen to the side wall was the big factor. If too close the curved screen keeps light reflecions off the sidewalls. My distance was "enough" so I saved money and went with the flat AT Vistascope. Quite a bit cheaper vs Cinecurve (neither are cheap!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedoc2be /forum/post/20844345


Dennis erskine told me distance from the edge of screen to the side wall was the big factor. If too close the curved screen keeps light reflecions off the sidewalls. My distance was "enough" so I saved money and went with the flat AT Vistascope. Quite a bit cheaper vs Cinecurve (neither are cheap!)

This is why Dennis specified a custom screen for me...the "curve" in my screen as specified by him is less that 3" and the screen is 10' wide even though the room is wider...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,710 Posts
The recommended 150 in room ANSI CR is difficult to achieve. A curved screen will assist in reducing light reflected off side walls and, for very wide screens, help maintain consistent luminance from left to right. One needs be careful to match the lens system so the curve does not cause visible distortion of the picture.


Jim --- be careful of the ST100. It is an excellent reference screen; but, unless you have an almost, if not totally, black room, I would suggest you go to the ST130.


My 2 pence
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top