AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I`m just planning a new HT room - 16ftx 25ft. Problem is , there is an 8ft window in the wall where the screen will be. Her majesty (the wife) has decreed the window must stay to allow the room to be mult functional , so what I was thinking was to "frame" the window with timber (it is right in the centre of the wall) , making a 9ft x 5ft "carcass", and fix the screen (planning on a 9ftX5ftStewart Firehawk) to the front, hinged at the top, so that it can be lifted up and attached (somehow !) to the ceiling when not in use. I would use blackout curtains behind the screen to stop light ingress behind the screen.

Some problems - how to raise and lower the screen ?

how to attach to ceiling ?

how to attach hinges to screen ?

Of course the easy answer is to have a "pulldown" screen , but I don`t like them ( have had "curling" problems in the past) and would dearly love a fixed screen !!

Can anyone offer any help/suggestions ?

All gratefully received

cheers

·
Registered
523 Posts
You might want to do a search for "hinged" in the Screens forum. There are a few hits there.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I considered that in my HT. Make sure you mount some kind of backing board onto it, otherwise light will come through. I was going to hinge the top, and then it would just lift up to the ceiling and store with some kind of hook on the ceiling.

I ended up just permanently mounting it to the wall to avoid the hassle, but I didn't have the window issues you do.

-Tom

·
Registered
457 Posts
I considered something similar until I saw how cumbersome it was at a friend's house. His screen was closer to 5' x 8', but when you consider the arc the outside edge takes to go all the way from the bottom of the wall to the ceiling, it covers a lot of distance. He had to stand on a small step ladder to unhook it from the ceiling, the hand it off to someone on the ground to keep, it from slamming into the wall. A piece of string or small rope would probably help alot with this arrangement.

A bit more expensive route, but how about a motorized, tab-tensioned screen? It kinda adds a whole neat-o factor to the movie when it drops down out of the ceiling, and is really easy to get ready for those impromptu guests. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey trevor,

There was a post about 6-8 months ago in the screens forum with a how to and pictures of a hinged screen to deal with the same problem you have.

In regards to the problem mentioned in the above post, the designer had made a very interested way of hinging it so that the pivot point was about 1/3 of the way down the screen. Hard to explain you need to see the picture. I will see if I can find the link and post it for you.

Rick

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have to side with JHILL with his suggestion of a tensioned electric screen. I have a 165" DaLite High Contrast Cosmopolitan Electrol that I wouldn't trade for nothing. A flick of the switch and down it comes! The tensioned assembly keeps the screen flat and smooth...not a single wrinkle or wave to be seen. I bought mine new for $2300.00, but yours would be quite abit cheaper due to the size.

One important feature in a Media room is the "cosmetic feature". When the audio/visual is not in use, you want these items to either blend in with the atmosphere of the rrom...or disappear altogether. Yet, when it is called upon a smooth, seamless transition should occur, transforming the room into it a/v featured intention.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi guys,

sorry - been away a few days.

Thanks for all the input - it`s really appreciated.

If I could convince myself there wouldn`t be a problem with an electric screen I would go for it - oh well , we`ll see !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.