AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has Anyone hooked up their PC to a big screen? If so how, have you surfed the net and did the text look readable? What was your method of connecting everything from PC to TV and what Video card did you use. I'm thinking of doing the same, I have a 61 inch Sony and want to surf from the couch and still be able to read. Thanks

Lisa

·
Registered
396 Posts
Lisa,

That is exactly what this forum is about. Just about everyone here has done exactly what you describe. Do some reading here and you will see what an impressive picture you can get with a PC and "Big Screen".

You could start by reading the FAQ which is posted at the top of the forum.

Larry

PS - Don't feed e vey, he bites :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I asked this, is because it seems noone can give me a good answer on one of my questions. I want to be able to "hook up my PC 2 my 61 screen. The main reason for this is to surf the net, read text and write some. But I have heard that on such a big screen that it will look like crap and not be able to read. I just want to get some opions on what to use so I can make my setup work.

Thanks again for the help,

Lisa Space

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Lisa,

Is your Sony HDTV compatible? If not, you can skip most of the discussions as you only real option will be the S-video output from your video card.

If your set is HD compatible, start off by reading the FAQ and Karnis's link above. I'm not familiar with your Sony but unless it has a VGA input you will need a transcoder (hardware) which will allow you to connect your PC video card to the component inputs on your TV. From that point you will need Powerstrip (software) to send an appropriate output from your video card or else your nice big TV might start smoking ;)

This is all described in greater detail throughout the forum. Welcome and happy reading.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I will post the obvious answer to your obvious question since all the "elites" would rather ignore you.

The answer to your question is quite simply: yes.

I have a 53" rear projection HDTV (Pioneer SD532 HD5) with an HTPC driving it. I have my HTPC set up at 540P timings (same timings as 1080i) with the screen resolution set to 480x856. I have no problems surfing the web, reading text, etc.

Oh and there is a whole bunch more things I can and do use it for too :)

We all suspect you are new to this. Don't let the huge amount of information here overwhelm you. Start with what you specifically want to do with an HTPC and you will discover all the other cool things later as you go.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Imxerox,

What type of big screen is your Sony? Is it HD or HD-ready? If so, it is possible to get a nice clean signal from your PC to your TV. If it isn't, then you would probably be best to surf the web on a regular computer monitor.

Getting a PC attached to an HDTV can get a bit complicated and you will need to do a significant amount of reading (starting with the FAQ), but basically the threshold question is this:

What type of inputs does your TV have?

Ignoring S-Video and Composite, If you have only component inputs (Y-Pr-Pb) then you will need to get a VGA-to-YPrPb converter. Alot of people have had success with the Audio Authority 9A60 Converter (I just purchased one myself). This will convert the VGA signal from your computer to essentially an HD component signal to feed into your TV (of course there is alot of software tweaking required in order to do this. Read the FAQ to learn how).

If the Sony's have RGB BNC inputs (which I doubt), then all you need is a VGA to BNC wire.

If the Sony has a VGA connector, then all you need is a VGA to VGA wire.

Of course all of these methods really do require alot of software tweaking. I cannot emphasize enough that to REALLY learn how to connect your Computer to your HDTV you must read the FAQ. Although it focuses alot on using PCs as DVD players for HDTVs, the information about the actual connection between the TV and PC is in there.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Imxerox, yeah read the FAQ, but I think you might have a Sony model KP61HS30. If not please post your model number for your display.

If so, it does have component (Y-Pr-Pb) inputs, you will need a transcoder (Audio Authority 9A60 Converter is a good one) and you will want PowerStrip to do a custom rez since I don't think you want to be stuck at 640x480 and this model doesn't look like it will accept computer resolutions.

Using PowerStrip, you will need a compatible video card (AFAIK Radeon, GeForce and Matrox are the only supported ones). If you want to watch DVD or HD from the computer, you will want the current crop of Radeon (7000, 7200, 7500, 8500) or the upcomming Matrox - the GeForce models don't have the color depth or saturation that these cards have.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. Rtx and Bolero, you mention "Audio Authority 9A60 Converter". If I want to buy this brand NEW where?How much is a good price? If I buy it used-what needs to come with it?What wires do I need to buy to make the above application work?

Yes, among other inputs, I have component (Y-Pr-Pb), So I guess I can use this. The TV model is the KP-61HS30.

When mentioned "custom rez"how much of actual screen size will I see on the tv? As for Radeon, which one is best? I do not understandthe brands. Is ATI same as Radeon 8500? Cause the oneat BestBuy is only ATI Radeon 8500 with 128mb. I also heard 1287 mb is over kill compared to the 64mb. That the 128mb is not put to its full potenial.

I read there is a chance of me, blowing up my tv, if true, how to prevent?

I understand alot of me doing the reading will help me a great deal. And I love doing things on my own, but I just want to get off to a good start.

Once again, thanks so much for all the help, this forum is by far, the best.

Lisa Space

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I think Digital Connection carries the converter.

Using PowerStrip and a compatable vid card should allow you to do just about anything you want. PS will test to see if your display device will handle the custom rez, but you want to check your manual first as I don't believe this model (KP-61HS30) will tell the computer if anything is not right nor do I believe there are computer drivers for this display device.

Post something like "Anyone using a Sony KP-61HS30 with HTPC?" on this forum and you may get a hit. Ask if they are running PowerStrip and what their setup is.

The 8500 is made by ATi (as well as the 7000 & 7500). These cards are recommended due to the way they handle color. The drivers for the 8500 are still broken for gamma, although a fix is on the way. The 7000 & 7500 drivers are OK. The differance between the 7000 and the 7500 are higher clock speed and a fan on the 7500.

What O/S are you using on the HTPC?

What do you intend to do with HTPC?

If you don't have to get a vid card right now, might be a good idea to wait for the new Matrox card.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Imxerox

I read there is a chance of me, blowing up my tv, if true, how to prevent?

Lisa Space
Lisa-

I have a setup just like you want, but my Sony is the KP61HS10, the model before your HS30. If you haven't already found this out in the FAQs, you need a program called PowerStrip, and it will let you create a '920x500p, 60Hz' Windows desktop. The program has some 'canned' custom resolutions, and that one is included. Your desktop will be a wide-screen shape on your Sony's screen, and Web pages will just need more vertical scrolling than you would need with a regular 1024x768 or higher Windows desktop on a 'regular' computer monitor. The text will not seem as sharp as a regular monitor because the screen is so big, but it's a great way to Web-surf like you hope. Some big-screen TVs can be damaged by feeding non-HDTV-type signals, but my Sony just ignores the 'bad' signal and shows a message 'this signal cannot be displayed' if I mistakenly switch to a 1280x960, 85Hz desktop, so yours probably works this way too. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Lisa -

I just purchased a 51" Sony last week and hooked my HTPC to it through the HD inputs (using the VGA converter that I purchased at the same time). Until now I've been using it on a 30" Sony which only had S-Video in. I can confidently say that it is a huge, huge improvement. I'm still learning the ins/outs of Powerstrip but I find the text very easy to read in my browser and the DVD and DIVX playback is fantastic. Stick with it and I think you'll be very happy.

Pat

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ramick I'm using Xp and I really just want to surf the net (read/write). I'm I have trouble sitting in a chair for long period of time, due to a back operation. This lead me to this idea of HTPC, guess things happen for a reason. I also want to do some photo/video editing.

You mentioned the new Matroon card, is it really worth waiting, how long till? Since you guys have told me I can do this, I have held off, but I really am getting ants to buy what is needed.

ChrisW6ATV, what was your setup method? Ex: video card, wires, keyboard.

beerguy, you mentioned hooking up your HTPC to the HD inputs (using the VGA converter). Where is the HD inputs and are you talking about the same converter that was wrote about in an earleir post? Also what video card are you using, and keyboard, and anything else I left out.

I'm that more closer to buying the right things, I can not explain enough how helpful you all have been. The net has changed things in so many ways, it is a great way to share ideas and knowledge. Thanks, just thanks

Lisa Space

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Depending on the budget, I would go for the Radeon 7000 graphics card, which can be had for approx. 80 USD or cheaper, if you search on the web. If you have a fairly new computer, you should have the AGP port that is necessary for installing this. If your system does not support AGP, you can look for a PCI version, but I do not know if it exists) This graphics card supports the custom resolutions mentioned here.

You also need the transcoder/converter mentioned above. What this piece of equipment does is plug into your graphics card (where your monitor is usually plugged in) and on the other end, it plugs into the component (Y-Pr-Pb) connectors. You probably need some cables as well. (I don't have a transcoder since I can just use an extension cable from the graphics card directly into the tv). PS the connector on the Pc graphics card is called a VGA connector or D-Sub 15, I believe.

If you are not familiar with computers, I suggest you get a friend or relative with computer knowhow to install the new graphics card, and take a look at the faqs here, to install and set up powerstrip for you. It is not hard, but it helps to have experience with computers, and read all you can in this forum...

I don't use a wireless keyboard/mouse for now, but I know that Logitech just released a nice combo.

PS: I hope this helps, I am not sure of the level of knowledge you have, so this might either explain a lot, or confuse you more ;-)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Karnis posted a couple of very good links. If you only want to surf, then a minimal setup will do. I really think you will "mature" into wanting to watch DVD and other things on your HTPC (games?). If you want to expand to this then you might want to wait for the Matrox.

The bottom line here is WHEN. If you want now, go with the ATi Radeon 7500, a VGA->component x-coder, PowerStrip, and use Karnis' links for setup.

Good Luck, Rich

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Quote:
ChrisW6ATV, what was your setup method? Ex: video card, wires, keyboard.
Lisa-

My computer has an Elsa Gladiac MX video board, with PowerStrip resolutions of 600x450 and 920x500 set up. Those resolutions allowed minimal 'overscan' (where the edges of the Windows desktop are cut off the screen, since you can't easily adjust height and width on your Sony), in its two screen aspect ratios. That card has been replaced by the Gladiac 511, I think, or maybe another since that one, with the Nvidia GeForce 2 MX 400 chip. It is connected with a "VGA-to-5-BNC" cable and five BNC-to-RCA adapters to fit the Sony's Video 5 input. On the KP61HS10, that input can be set to either RGB mode (as I use it) or component mode. If yours cannot use RGB mode, you will need the transcoder, and the cables needed will depend on its connectors. Many people here recommend high-end cables, but I have had no problems using brand-X ones.

I have an Airboard wireless keyboard (also called a Lite-on SK7100) and a Logitech wireless scroll mouse. The Airboard has a joystick usable as a mouse, but I prefer the 'real' one instead.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tomes, you mentioned the 7000 why? why not 8500 or 8500dv? As for the converter, there is only one type correct? Thanks

PS: I know, I know....this topic will end very soon.

Lisa Space

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.