AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked around and can't find any dealers around here that carry the Panny... anyone have one I can take a peak at before ordering it online?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm in the same boat. But I think I'm just going to buy mine based on all the reviews and not worry about it. This way, I can begin to obsess about what DVD player and cables to get.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm in the processs of purchasing a used AE300. I'll just have it set up on a coffee table and projecting on a wall, but you're welcome to come see it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the AE300 at home now. I'm using the cheapo component video cable that came with it, I have almost no light control, and it's projecting on a side wall (no screen), but... I think it's great! I even took it to my sister's home to watch Star Wars I. Try that with an RPTV!

You're welcome to come over for a demo. The conditions won't be ideal, but you can get a good idea of the projector's capabilities. E-mail me at .

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a ton for offering-- I've decided to go with the HS10 as I found a local dealer that has one in stock for $2700 and I talked him down to $2550. He's holding it for me and I'm walking out the door to pick it up in 15 minutes.

I'm pretty stoked--

Thanks again though!

FoundSoul

·
Registered
293 Posts
I know you'll enjoy the HS10. I saw one at Sound and Cinema, and it looked very good. I went with the AE300 because it's more portable and the fan(s) are less noisy. But I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

If you ever feel like doing a head-to-head comparison, let me know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any chance that either of you new owners (300 and hs10) can let me spend a few minutes viewing them with you?

I also live in Duluth and have been trying to decide between those 2 machines and getting to see them in person

would make my final choice very easy.

Please call or email me if that would be possible.

Thanks,

Warren

678.467.2039 cell

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually picked this HS10 up at Sound and Cinema in Alpharetta... I had demo'd it there and at Melton's off of Jimmy Carter Blvd. Dave Sereno at Sound and Cinema sold this one to me-- it was the only one they had in stock so I felt like I had to move pretty quick on it or lose it.

I built a temporary mount for it last night (shelf on the back wall) and built a screen out of 1/2" mdf and mounted it. I primered the screen white and I've got two coats of flat white paint left to go on it. I went ahead and mounted it primered to demo the system and I'm really impressed. I'll come back and paint it in the next couple of days. The image size right now is about 88" but I may reduce that a little due to the room size (15' x 10'8").

It's funny-- my wife has been getting tired of hearing me talk about it lately but all she could say after seeing it in action is how much she likes my new toy. I think she understands a little better now.

I'd be open to demoing my system with you sometimes and checking your's out as well. Lemme finish getting it setup first and I'll drop you a line...

-FoundSoul

·
Registered
426 Posts
Aw man....You got my HS10!

Just kidding. I saw it there this weekend and considered going ahead and buying it.

I don't even have my house yet ( I close next week) so I decided I should wait. The guy there was extremely helpful and nice.

Though I wish that they had the HiDef feed going to the HS10. I was drooling watching the 12HT playing the Rice University Baseball game in HiDef. I wanted to compare to the HS10, but couldn't.

Gladiator definitely looked better on the 12HT, but it wasn't more than twice the price better. Both were somewhat noisy. I want to use Magenpan speakers and clarity is where they shine. I'm hoping the fan noise doesn't detract.

If you guys get together to compare the Panny and the HS10 let me know. I've got Video Essentials and the Avia disk I can bring along too if needed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I knew someone would grab it quick if I didn't-- sorry about that (sortof.... ok not really... well maybe I am... darn. I'm so conflicted)

I was pretty surpised they didn't have a Hi-def feed going to the HS10... the other store I demo'd it at didn't have HD to any of there RPTV's or FP's so I still haven't seen it with a Hi-Def feed. I'm going to looking into getting HD at the house soon-- not sure what's available in my area yet... I'm sure I have options though.

I've only put an hour or two on it-- you can hear the fan when it's a really quiet scene but I don't think it's going to detract too much from the whole experience.... I can build a hush box down the road if it bugs me....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those of you in the Atlanta area you can demo an HS10 at Melton's Home Theatre in Norcross or Sound and Cinema in Alpharetta. They don't have an HD signal-- just DVD. Buts that's all I have right now too....

·
Registered
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FoundSoul
you can hear the fan when it's a really quiet scene but I don't think it's going to detract too much from the whole experience.... I can build a hush box down the road if it bugs me....
Sony should use a fan that makes a ratching click like a reel to reel projector at the theater. Then they could claim the noise is a actually a feature. ;-)

(everyone remember this post so if they try to patent it we can claim prior public knowledge)

(Sorry for Hijacking the Panny thread and making it an HS-10 thread)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually-- I think I'll patent that... from here on out nobody can stick a piece of a drinking straw into their HS10's fan without paying me royalties! (And then we'll slap you for being an idiot)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.