Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in a predicament, I live in Burbank right at the foot of the mountain up by Glen Oaks and Buena Vista (Just before Sunland area). I have a Samsung 151 and just got a gigantic radio shack antenna and a channel master amplifier and hooked it all up and I get NO signal whatsoever.

Is this normal for this area? shouldn't I get something?

Please help!

Thanks

·
Registered
725 Posts
Check http://www.antennaweb.org for information on your location. Most of the LA area stations broadcast from Mt. Wilson. I believe your is area blocked from Mt. Wilson by the mountains to the east of you. You will need to get satellite to get HDTV.

·
Registered
135 Posts
User Glenn_L posted a great deal of information about reception in your area. Do a search of his posts on all HDTV forums for user name "Glenn_L" and keyword "burbank". Note that many of the posts preceded the reception forum.

Three hints for better reception: (1) Remove the preamp and its power injector, (2) get a different antenna like the Channel Master 4228, 4248, or 3021, and (3) you may have to aim SE to receive San Diego stations if nothing else works.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'm totally blocked here in Santa Clarita too, or so I thought. A friend I met on this forum brought over his Channel Master 4228 and I'm able to get KNBC, KCBS, KCET, and KTLA, all with a fairly strong signal. It's a great antenna and will probably work for you. Someone else mentioned that being at the base of some mountains you might have to tilt the antenna up slightly.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Kreed10,

I live close to that area. Check my site and see what I went through to get good reception. I can now get all the stations, but when I started I got nothing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello, thanks for the reply everyone.

I have been able to get san diego stations but only on certain days.

GlennL,

I see you settled on the stacked ATF-X300 Precision Antenna as being the best solution. Is this antenna available for purchase somewhere?

Searching google I could not find it.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kreed -

Just stumbled across your question and thought I'd share some insight. I'm receiving digital channels OTA using 2 "bow tie" style antennas purchased from ARC TV on Magnolia Blvd in Burbank. The antennas were about $30 each if I remember.

My reception is kind of weak, but I am able to get a usable picture fairly consistently using a MyHD receiver installed in my HTPC.

I installed the antenna in the attic and receive the major channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 11, 28-1, and 28-2 along with a number of minor channels. I also used to get 13, but they're apparently having problems now. I tried to install on the roof and, oddly enough, got worst reception - I know it doesn't make sense.

My location is above Kenneth, below Sunset, south of Olive, and north of Alameda. So, considering the location and being close to the mountains, I feel somewhat lucky I get anything at all.

Good Luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mngtcon: Thanks very much for the reply. I just got dual UHF yagi style antennas and welded a mount for them and I still get nothing local on the highest point of my roof.

Your information helps. I will try out what you have and hope for the best.

I am cursing HDTV now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.