AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im looking to have a pair of DIYSG Intrusive 1899 speakers built. I will pay for all parts plus cost of labor.

Please send me a pm if interested.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
An offer to good to refuse . . .?

ship to or provide everything for me.

I'll build them for free.
duratex finish or raw cabs?

I'll let you know when to come pick them up following a suitable break-in period.

What could possibility go wrong ?

Reactions: jsgrise

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Hi, Im looking to have a pair of DIYSG Intrusive 1899 speakers built. I will pay for all parts plus cost of labor.

Please send me a pm if interested.
I would look for a local cabinet maker. I found a few down here in Houston who said he would have no issues helping me with the build and could paint or finish them in WilsonArt Laminate.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi @LumensLover I know of two potentials:
1) Alethia Sound - https://www.facebook.com/AlethiaSoundLLC/ builds home speakers and they have live sound company (hennessey sound design) pretty sure they build some DIYSG for Sound Gallery
2) Rythmik is a sub company in Cedar Park who might http://www.rythmikaudio.com/contact.html

I would check with these two folks. I don't blame you to finish a speaker properly takes time and experience. Let me listen when you are done thinking about building some 1099's.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Stop being lazy. I love this hobby and love attending GTG to be around others that have similar interests in audio and make new friends. Now that I live in Australia though I cant do much of that. But when living back home (317) I always had plenty of people around that would easily help out or I would help out. Just let it be known what you want to do and see who's in the area. Most people in this forum are pretty friendly and tend to help each other out. This is the DIY crowd and we are all crazy according to other's standards.

SO attend a GTG or just see who is in your area. Make new friends and learn a thing or two. That is not difficult at all.

Not trying to be mean by this post just saying I enjoy the community and it has always been very helpful. I wish for the community to continue to grow is all.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
^Is that 317 reference to your old hometown area code? If so, man its gotta be a change from Indianapolis to Australia...... And if your back in town sometime, let me know, I'm in Brownsburg but lived for most of my life on the NW side of Indy.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
^Is that 317 reference to your old hometown area code? If so, man its gotta be a change from Indianapolis to Australia...... And if your back in town sometime, let me know, I'm in Brownsburg but lived for most of my life on the NW side of Indy.
Yes it is. Mainly grew up in Fishers but have family all over the place in Indy. Sister is in Brownsburg and I am hoping to make it there next year around this time. maybe:D And Yes a BIG difference. :)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hi @LumensLover I know of two potentials:
1) Alethia Sound - https://www.facebook.com/AlethiaSoundLLC/ builds home speakers and they have live sound company (hennessey sound design) pretty sure they build some DIYSG for Sound Gallery
2) Rythmik is a sub company in Cedar Park who might http://www.rythmikaudio.com/contact.html

I would check with these two folks. I don't blame you to finish a speaker properly takes time and experience. Let me listen when you are done thinking about building some 1099's.
Interesting products/services from hennessey sound design, thanks for posting about them.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Stop being lazy.

SO attend a GTG or just see who is in your area. Make new friends and learn a thing or two. That is not difficult at all.

Not trying to be mean by this post just saying I enjoy the community and it has always been very helpful. I wish for the community to continue to grow is all.
Not trying to be mean but you are a dick. Ever considered that maybe this person may be disabled or anything like that and can't do it themselves? There are tons of reasons why someone couldn't build them themselves. And also good luck finding someone willing to come help day after day the many weeks it would take to scratch build three 1899s.

·
Registered
521 Posts
(snip)... Ever considered that maybe this person may be disabled or anything like that and can't do it themselves? There are tons of reasons why someone couldn't build them themselves. And also good luck finding someone willing to come help day after day the many weeks it would take to scratch build three 1899s.
Agreed: there are tons of good reasons someone couldn't. There are also tons of good reasons someone simply doesn't want to, even if they could.

OP, I hope you get your hands on some 1899s... I'm a little jelly that you even have the space for them! :)

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Not trying to be mean.......
Hahaha. Wow. I must be a DIY person for way too long then. For those that have been here for a while they will understand where I am coming from. Its not hard to see who is in your area. He is pretty much doing that anyways. We seem to always want everything yesterday. I am just saying that he should TRY and be a part of the building process is all.

This is the DIY forum. Even AIY is offered. And while we can always make excuses why we cant do something there are plenty of reasons why we can. If this was a commercial product then buying off the shelf would be easy and not a learning experience or chance to make friends.

Sorry/not sorry if your offended by comments. Have not said anything that is rude. And I will stop there.
Interesting products/services from hennessey sound design, thanks for posting about them.
This guy checking out HIGH SPL midbass cabinets, LOL

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
form @chrapladm :

This is the DIY forum. Even AIY is offered. And while we can always make excuses why we cant do something there are plenty of reasons why we can. If this was a commercial product then buying off the shelf would be easy and not a learning experience or chance to make friends.

Thank You

DIY guys are possibility thinkers. Life happens and we prioritize as needed for ensuing problems.

Is this one of those problems that goes away by just writing a check?

I know that the xo's can be done for a fee.

so it's about managing resources for the basic box.

If the aesthetics of the box are that uber important, that's another whole can of worms

matching / book leaved quarter sawn Brazilian Rosewood veneers and solid Ebony /Purpleheart inlays / accents?
BRING IT ON!

after all it's only about $3K+ for just the kits . . . . why stop at writing small checks,

We're in Texas

and think about the room they are going to be in and the house it's that attached to. likely not too trifling

surely someone might be able to manage to at least get the boards cut

just thinking about the box . . . without picking up a pencil . .

we have a baffle,

do we need to have a double baffle?

even with a double baffle, that still just 6 pieces for the basic box.

for the sealed mid section, "instructions for a well braced midrange chamber "
and

This kit comes with the 3/4" thick baffle and the midrange chamber for the 12" woofer so you can easily make your own enclosure around it.

so it's basically a 5 or 6 piece "slice'm up"

overall cab bracing , there's enough good info around and plenty of volunteer advice, the least of construction worries . . .

I'm not going to figure out the cut sheet for this thing but anyone who has hung out around the DIY section for a while
knows a bit of sleuthing will reveal the simplicity . . . its just under 12 ft^3, smaller than a full sized Marty.

now having thought all that, I want 1 for a CC . . ., it just might fit between the F15's

At 11 feet from the mlp - just might be adequate . .

imagine that under the TV . of course I'd have to ditch/repurpose the VBSS sub and the 88 special CC

sounds like a challenging cut/paste resize graphic headache but it could look totally overkill cool . . .

Rabbit Hole?

What Rabbit Hole?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
It's been 2 weeks now . . .

Any progress to report?

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stop being lazy. I love this hobby and love attending GTG to be around others that have similar interests in audio and make new friends. Now that I live in Australia though I cant do much of that. But when living back home (317) I always had plenty of people around that would easily help out or I would help out. Just let it be known what you want to do and see who's in the area. Most people in this forum are pretty friendly and tend to help each other out. This is the DIY crowd and we are all crazy according to other's standards.

Telling someone to "stop being lazy" when you do not know their personal circumstances is asinine. I have watched your posts for years. They always ends with "I might buy x product one day."

I have watched you say this countless times over the years, however you rarely if ever actually buy any new products. I am sure there is a reason for this which I do not assume I know. So do not assume you know the reason for me asking for help to assemble products.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Months down the road and this is the update. Move on. You guys take posts way to seriously. My point was I encourage people to get to know other members around them and go from there. Lots of great people on this forum. SO if you take offense to my comments earlier I am sorry. BUT this is the internet and I dont get offended very much at all from the net.

And I dont need to take pictures of the stock pile of parts I have on shelves to show what I have. I dont go around telling everyone exactly what I buy. So you or most anyone would never know what I have or dont have. Simply put everything takes forever with my very small budget, family of six and things constantly breaking around the house.

If I was nearby I would build the cabinets for you. As I said this hobby is fun, not cheap but fun.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Telling someone to "stop being lazy" when you do not know their personal circumstances is asinine. I have watched your posts for years. They always ends with "I might buy x product one day."

I have watched you say this countless times over the years, however you rarely if ever actually buy any new products. I am sure there is a reason for this which I do not assume I know. So do not assume you know the reason for me asking for help to assemble products.
Holy Response Time Batman!

Are you still looking to have these built or are you just trolling Chrapladm at this point?
Where in Texas are you? I could be interested in the DFW area...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts