AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a project I'd like to do which would involve me installing a theater for free. You buy the equipment, I'll give you two days of my time to get this done, and I need to be able to do this in two days. I can't pre-wire and then wait for cabinets/carpet/paint. I've been installing very high end theaters, but need to do this in the DC area where I don't know anyone. I'll bring my tools, you bring the equipment. I'd like to do a projector/screen with surround speakers. I'll calibrate the projector and the speakers. If you don't know what equipment to buy, I can help you design it.

If you know anyone in the DC area that wants to do a simple theater and doesn't want some box store kid to cut up their house, let me know. This is a one-time offer that I'll be looking to make good on possibly in the next few weeks.

Yes, I know most theater installs can't be done in two days, but some can.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've installed $500,000 theaters and done calibrations that take all day. I'm not ISF certified. The people I work for don't care about certifications, they care about what it sounds like and what it looks like. I know people are going to think I'm some slack trunk slammer, but I'm offering to do this for FREE. I'm not asking for money, I have another need for this. It's a great opportunity for someone to have a professional CE come work on their project.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
I know people are going to think I'm some slack trunk slammer

Lol

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddonah /forum/post/16933919

I have another need for this.

You are among friends so tell us and maybe we can help you out. Are you taping a Video?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm with Big and the other's. Perhaps if you weren't trying to hide your reasons then perhaps you might have someone interested. Trying to hide the reasons, makes this seem very shady...

·
Registered
422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane.mba /forum/post/16934926

I'm with Big and the other's. Perhaps if you weren't trying to hide your reasons then perhaps you might have someone interested. Trying to hide the reasons, makes this seem very shady...

Giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he is trying to break into a new market I would at the very least want some references from the recipients of those $500,000 theaters. Is he licensed to do business in DC? Bonded? Insured?

This is curiosity on my part as I do not live in his target area but these are the questions I would ask. As a warning to others before I let any contractor into my home, to work on it or the equipment contained there-in, I would want a pretty damn clear idea of who they are and what kind of work they do. Even if they are doing it for free.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I knew this would turn into this. I have another interest that I'm willing to discuss with the person with the project. I'm not going to talk about it here. If you think it's shady, don't take me up on my offer.

Again, I'm offering to do this for free, so who cares what my certifications are? My work is my qualification. How many "certified" installers have you seen that don't know what the hell they're doing? Also, I never said "ISF calibrate", I said "calibrate". The calibration isn't what I'm interested in anyway, I was just going to do it so they got something out of it they might not be able to do themselves. Who knows, I may calibrate it and they don't like how it sounds. It's the client's ear in the end that you have to calibrate for.

It's probably all moot at this point anyway, since someone has pm'd me about his theater and I think it'll work out timing wise.

This country is awesome. I offer to help someone out for a couple days with some free professional work and everyone wants my credentials.

I'm not looking to get into the DC market btw. You guys can keep it.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddonah /forum/post/16937063

This country is awesome. I offer to help someone out for a couple days with some free professional work and everyone wants my credentials.

Let's say someone has invested 10-20K in their gear and a stranger says "can I come over and install it for you for free".

Anyone who opens their door without knowing more is a fool.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
The guy has 35 posts on AVS, what's more to know or credential about him?

As for why people ask for credentials, often you find that mistakes can be costly and a free employee who makes costly mistakes is too expensive to hire.

Case in point, I had a guy come to do some framing work and inside of one day he destroyed a modded HD Tivo and a Kaleidescape player while making a frame that didn't match the specs I gave him because he wanted to re-engineer it to be tighter and the racks then didn't fit when they had components in them. How much or little he charged per hour was of little concern to me at that point.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Man what a bunch of haters you guys here on AVS are.

Next thing you know you'll be insulting giddonah by asking him for "references" or some other such rediculous demand.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Trying to hide the reasons, makes this seem very shady...
Quote:
Just thought i'd toss this out.... maybe we change this up a little, you can buy all the stuff and drop it off at my place and i'll install it for free..... any takers?
Quote:
Tax deduction for a family vacation?

Reality tv show?
Quote:
The guy has 35 posts on AVS, what's more to know or credential about him?
Quote:
Man what a bunch of haters you guys here on AVS are.

You could have stopped your post here.

Isn't the horse dead yet?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm not trying to bash you, but more-of warn you about what you are attempting to do....

I'm sure you do absolutely wonderful work, and you're highly qualified (not certified) to do the work, but without references to contact, picture of your work, and a list of your qualifications, this IS going to look shady to many people. Many people around here are the DIY type and take great satisfaction on doing their theater themselves, and under tight supervision of their sub-contactors.

Also, not being licensed, bonded and/or insured and going into someone's home to perform work (especially in the DC area) is not a good idea. I have relatives in the DC-VA area, and they can't even put up a hook for a hanging plant on their porch without a permit. Any work done like electrical, in-wall, framing, etc... in the DC area without proper permits and a licensed contractor is a HUGE no-no. The homeowner is going to have a hell of a time trying to sell that home without being able to prove the work was done "legally". Not having a permit is going to end up costing the home owner a lot of money at the sale, because the buyer could ask for all of that work to be ripped out and fixed or installed properly or they could walk away from the sale or turn around and sue the owner after the sale for not disclosing that before the sale.

I wish you luck in your endeavors, and hope nothing comes back to bite you or the recipient of your work in the a$$ down the road.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgroves /forum/post/16948104

I have relatives in the DC-VA area, and they can't even put up a hook for a hanging plant on their porch without a permit. Any work done like electrical, in-wall, framing, etc... in the DC area without proper permits and a licensed contractor is a HUGE no-no.

Sorry, I live in the DC-VA area and this is a gross misrepresentation of the actual situation.

Perhaps your relatives live in a designated historical area and they can't modify the exterior of their house without approval (porch hook).

DIY framing, electrical, plumbing and mechanical work with permit and inspection is permitted in NoVA suburbs.
Any is in reality a very vague term with respect to what requires a permit. for example You can extend an in wall circuit but not add new circuits without permit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.