AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says. Has anyone installed their own carpet in their theater?

I'm a DIY'er and like to save costs where ever possible. I know there are tools I would need to buy-rent, but is carpet laying an art form that requires years of practice or can anyone with a brain do it?

Anyone run across a website teaching the process with tips and tricks?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
It requires care and thought but Yes anyone can do it. We did ours and it looks great. including riser, steps, stage etc.

·
Registered
445 Posts
That's the only thing in my theater I left to the pros. I have a good relationship with the local carpet one and they did a very good job. With the columns in my theater there were just too many cuts to be made. I'm glad I let them install it because it turned out great.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Many times but after the tool rental it's almost not worth it. It also depends are you going to need to seam? Steps etc?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Not worth it unless you're doing 1 tiny room. It's about 50 cents/sq'. Money well spent to avoid mistakes and the hassle of renting tools and figuring out the process.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had mine installed as well and that was the only thing I didn't do in my movie thetaat. It is definetely doable as long as you have the necessary tools. I paid $250 for a room that is 19X14.5 and it included the stage (the half moon shape lip was the hard part) as well as the premium padding. If i rented the tools and bought the pad myself I might have saved $100-150 but it was not worthed, he did an excellent job.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I am going to let the pros do mine but I am sure if you go on YouTube and do a search, you will probably find some sort of tutorial if you want to do it yourself. I just checked and there was 219 videos on youtube on how to install carpet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts