AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm cross-posting this in the DVD Player Forum as well.

I'd like to gauge the interest in a dedicated section to

SACD/DVD-A hardware and software.

I think there is enough of both to warrant it.

TIA

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I think a spot for posting legit downloadable hidef content or links would be a good idea. I am just starting to look for some now.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Sometimes splitting off a forum becomes a kind of segregation. That forum doesn't get viewed as much and the result is fewer posts than before. This has happened. If there are a lot of posts on the subject, then it would be necessary, like in the DVD Recorders forum that was split off from DVD Players. But there would have to be a lot of interest in a new forum to create a new one. It's entirely up to David to decide.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Me thinks vinyl is a hi-rez format too. I'm intrested in any music format that's better than CD...I particularly like SACD. The SACD & DVD-A chat is rather limited around here. I don't know that a seperate forum would change that???

·
23,032 Posts
I would read/post in a hi rez audio forum, but the traffic now is

kinda light which just makes it hard to find if you don't frequent

this forum. The availble 'content' basically causes this (compared

to DVD video). Now that affordable universal players have hit the streets,

hopefully that will change.

larry

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would definitely read & post to a hi-res forum.

As several others have pointed out, there's very little discussion in this space here already just barely once a week. It would have to be worth the extra administrative efforts of the good guys at AVS Forum. I currently have to sift through movie and DVD reviews to find out if there's any new discussion about SACD or DVD-A. Generally, I browse through the last 2 days (in the normal view), and then if I don't spot anything, I do a SEARCH on "SACD". While time consuming, it works, but not as well as a dedicated forum for it. ;)

Don't forget there is another resource for opinions on SACDs, albeit without the excellent community that exists in AVS Forum. It is www.sacdinfo.com. There you can write a review for any SACD you want, discuss SACD issues, and see upcoming releases. It's frequented by at least one record producer (at the London Symphony). It also gives very smart links directly to stores that sell the disks you're interested in. (BTW, I don't work for them!!) While I highly respect the opinions I've read in AVS Forum about SACD and wish there was more, there seems to be avid discussion on the other site for those who want more.

It goes without saying that I still would love a hi-res forum here, because I love AVS Forum!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I won't buy a CD anymore unless it a SACD hybrid or DVD-Audio. High-res music is a big part of my home theater enjoyment. It should be an integral part of the AVS Forum. Much of the talk of DVD Players are whether they are SACD or DVD-Audio compatible, so there is a fanbase of highres/multichannel music.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RiPeti
I won't buy a CD anymore unless it a SACD hybrid or DVD-Audio.
I have a similar rule here too. And thankfully, record labels have been helpful with giving release dates for SACDs, which are typically after the redbook version is released. For instance, I saw the release date for Elvis Costello's new album was yesterday, but I also saw that the SACD would be coming in November, so I am holding out til I can get the SACD (which I believe is hybrid).

My tendency is to buy the hi-res version whether it's hybrid or not. Mainly, I have never really liked the sound of the CD format, and I don't have a lot of faith that redbook audio will last much longer given all the concern about copyright protection, and given the growing niche market that cares about greater audio fidelity (and multichannel listening).

I don't drive, but as an owner of a portable CD player, I can appreciate the need for more hybrid SACDs. It can only help to drive greater penetration if all the disks were hybrid.

I'm pleased that about half of the fall releases are hybrid, and now that SONY is also making hybrid disks, I hope the trend continues.

(I'm still hoping for SACD releases of THE BEATLES, U2, and SEAL. Crossing my fingers!)

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Indeed the 21st century has arrived. I just bought my first hybrid disc, Spyro Gyra, In Modern Times, unfortunately for me I can only play stereo. Is this the norm for non-SACD players? To be honest, I find it hard to believe that this CD in standard CD form would be 7X worse. To be fair I haven't given it a full test, just a quick listen and saw the lack of 5.1 and haven't listened much further yet. Need to grab a beer, sit back and crank it up I guess. Anyway, I guess my first impression, though quick, was disappointing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I retract my statement and say I will buy SACDs, SACD hybrids, and DVD-Audios, the fact that there are hybrids arent important to me, just that I like that catalogues are being reissued as hybrids.

I will add that I heard studios are rereleasing the early 2 channel SACDs to multichannel hybrids, like Dylans Blonde on Blonde.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've posted before, but I will bring back up, that there will be an SACD II, which will be more like DVD-Audios in terms of extras, and better copy protection. It will most likely be compatible with existing players, but wil need a SACD II player to get the most out of the disc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, it will have a video component, but will still behave like an audio CD; and hopefully the designers won't force us to go through much menu-ing to reach the extended disk features. Clever management of the layers on the SACD will enable this. :)

Currently, the DVD-A features requiring you to navigate screens before you listen to any music has to be considered a flaw. When I want to listen to music, I want to just put the disk in and hit play. I don't want to navigate anything except advance/replay track. And I don't want to hit a "data" track that has no sound. And I want the track numbers to correlate to the track numbers on the disk packaging. DVD-A designers have made them too much like movie DVDs and it has affected the usability resulting in an experience that is counter-intuitive to established (LP, cassette, CD, MD, 8-track) behavior and expectations when listening to music.

SACD II will be better than this. (Crossing my fingers!)

Yea, I think we definitely need a Hi-Res Audio forum. :D:D

·
Banned
460 Posts
A Hi-res forum would be GREAT!

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ALIENS
I guess my first impression was disappointing.
Listened...changed my mind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.