AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the fact that George Remero included a DTS Sound track in the Day of the Dead & Dawn of the dead DVD releases.. He also remastered them in HD.. I'm looking for a great quality DVD transfer of Land of the Dead.. I love Gore & Zombies.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
I like the fact that George Remero included a DTS Sound track in the Day of the Dead & Dawn of the dead DVD releases.. He also remastered them in HD.. I'm looking for a great quality DVD transfer of Land of the Dead.. I love Gore & Zombies.. :rolleyes:
Actually it was Anchor Bay that did the remastering on those discs. Romero contributed commentary and appeared in the documentaries. Still I am looking forward to the 10/25 release which will have some omitted scenes put back in. Hopefully Universal considers it worthy of a DTS track. On a somewhat related note SOTA toys will be releasing LOTD action figures soon. Gonna get a Big Daddy figure for my center channel.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbrazil
Actually it was Anchor Bay that did the remastering on those discs. Romero contributed commentary and appeared in the documentaries. Still I am looking forward to the 10/25 release which will have some omitted scenes put back in. Hopefully Universal considers it worthy of a DTS track. On a somewhat related note SOTA toys will be releasing LOTD action figures soon. Gonna get a Big Daddy figure for my center channel.
Wow, it's coming out that early..Cool.. I knew Anchor Bay did the DVD, I just thought George Romero played a part in remastering in HD.. If a DTS track isn't included in this version.. It will be in the Double dipped version.. I wish we got all the extra gore clips..

·
23,031 Posts
Quote:
On a somewhat related note SOTA toys will be releasing LOTD action figures soon. Gonna get a Big Daddy figure for my center channel.
They're realing milking this for all it's almost worth. :) BTW, is there a "Bub" action figure? I'll definitely get the DVD for my collection, but it won't get the same repeat views (if any) as the original trilogy. I enjoyed the movie, but it's not in the same league as the first three.

larry

·
Registered
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper
They're realing milking this for all it's almost worth. :) BTW, is there a "Bub" action figure? I'll definitely get the DVD for my collection, but it won't get the same repeat views (if any) as the original trilogy. I enjoyed the movie, but it's not in the same league as the first three.

larry
SOTA is a small toy manufacturer that caters to the comic book collectors not to toy stores(you won't find these at Toys R Us) so they're hardly milking it. As for the film I feel your pain. I really wanted to like it more than I did. I suppose like Day it may grow in stature in the years to come. No Bub figures yet but there were some cool Dawn figures a while back.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Speaking of "Day", I'm interested in why this film has gotten such

an appreciation over the years? I loved Night and Dawn, but I saw

Day when it was first released, and was let down. I thought it was

a talk-fest. Boring mad scientist vs. loud gruff military stereotypes.

The opening scene was great, then the story moves indoors and

slows to a crawl. Didn't Romero say this is his favorite? Maybe I

missed something... :rolleyes:

·
23,031 Posts
I think Day was the movie of first three that had the most "social commentary" which it seems Romero wanted to be a big part of all the movies. This is why it may be his favorite. Somebody told me that Romero only got about 1/2 the budget for Land that he felt he needed to do it the way he envisioned. That could explain some things. Time will tell how well it stands up. I thought it was quite "shallow" compared to the others ---- pretty funny using comments like that on zombie movies. :)

larry

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Any advance notice on the audio/video, LFE present, etc., of this one due for release tomorrow? The film itself?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:
Speaking of "Day", I'm interested in why this film has gotten such

an appreciation over the years?
I just saw "Day" for the first time last week (saw Night and Dawn years ago for the first time and loved them), I thought it was one of the most boring films I've EVER seen. The acting is atrociously bad and the story is just ridiculous. I couldn't believe that Romero actually wrote and directed this one. After 30 minutes I was at a breaking point and almost turned it off, somehow I managed to trudge through it because I wanted to see the first 3 before seeing "Land".

What I love about the stories is that they're about the end of the world and how people react to that situation, but in Day I just didn't find the characters believable.

·
23,031 Posts
I wasn't impressed with "Day" the first time I saw it - compared to the first two. But, each time I watched it, I liked it more. "Land", at least the theatrical release, is the weakest (IMO) of the "set". Maybe the extra footage will help. I'll be buying it tomorrow.

larry

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
So what's the consensus on LOTD DVD? Blind buy? Transfer any good?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Yeah, couldn't quite ascertain that myself from the responses, which were many fewer than I would have expected. Oh well, went impulsive and blind purchased anyway. I will know soon enough all that is pertinent concerning this one.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Probably buy this one, if only to complete my Romero DEAD series (at least for now! :cool: )

·
23,031 Posts
Just got finished watching it. I liked it a little more this time than at the movies. Could be because I knew what I was going to get and not somewhat of a let down. PQ was pretty good but there was a fair amount of ringing - not very distracting, but more than one would expect from a good DVD. Audio was very good. I don't remember the exact details of the whole movie in the theater so I can't how much was added. It seems there was more gore than I remember - always a good thing. :)

larry

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I tried to rent Land O the Dead at Blockbuster and they didn't have it. They said they may never get it because of contract or something or other issues. This is the only somewhat major release I've ever heard of that was refused to Blockbuster. I'd like to know more about that.

·
23,031 Posts
Doesn't Blockbuster only go "up" to R ratings? Don't know if there's an R and "unrated" version of this or just an "unrated".

larry

·
Registered
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCrazy
I tried to rent Land O the Dead at Blockbuster and they didn't have it. They said they may never get it because of contract or something or other issues. This is the only somewhat major release I've ever heard of that was refused to Blockbuster. I'd like to know more about that.
Has nothing to do with the fact that it is unrated. BB often carries Unrated films. (But they still balk at NC-17! Go figure!) The problem is a contractual dispute with Universal. As such, you will not find the CARLITO'S WAY prequel in the stores either. Unless it is resolved quickly, that means that you shouldn't look for CINDERELLA MAN or other Universal releases anytime soon.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusnak
Has nothing to do with the fact that it is unrated. BB often carries Unrated films. (But they still balk at NC-17! Go figure!) The problem is a contractual dispute with Universal. As such, you will not find the CARLITO'S WAY prequel in the stores either. Unless it is resolved quickly, that means that you shouldn't look for CINDERELLA MAN or other Universal releases anytime soon.
Amazing - I guess it's just another sign of BlockBuster's fall from grace.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.