AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this HDMI Switcher/7.1 audio extractor from ebay. And it seemed like a good price, especially since I didn't want to wait until January for octava's product.

I'm too new to post a url but you can google it. Here is a non-clickable url: h t t p: //gomax-electronics.com.tw/Product/vconverter/CV505/cv505.htm

Anyhow, the user manual is very ambiguous and I'm not exactly sure how to use some of the features. Namely the 2 push buttons on the front and the EDID learning. Here is a non-clickable link to the user manual so you can see what I mean. h t t p: //gomax-electronics.com.tw/download/manual/CV-505_HDMI%201.3%20Audio%20Extractor%20User%20Manual.pdf

It says it's HDCP compliant, and I have been able to use the blu-ray and 7.1 audio from that, however I cannot seem to get the xbox 360 to work with it on the 2nd input switch. I get no video or sound from the xbox.

I'm VERY new to hdmi and switching for my HT setup, so please bare with me. Any help will be very much appreciated.

I welcome all input, even if it is to tell me to cut my losses and toss this thing and go for the octava here: h t t p: //octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch%204x2_7_1audio.html

·
Registered
631 Posts
are you able to get HD audio through hdmi in on the unit and out analog to receiver ?

man, how much was it ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to add to this... octavainc.com has a better unit coming out that I think I might grab instead... just cuz it has a lot more features, but the MSRP is $350.

But I'm too new to all this to really know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruman /forum/post/15456308

I wonder what DAC's are used in it to achieve this ?

I'm not sure. Just to clarify it doesn't DO the decoding, but it does allow the HD audio to go through it, it also somehow seems to be able to process a PCM signal into 7.1 analog, that's how I'm currently using it, and to be honest it does sound better than the coaxial connection I've been living with for so long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I contacted the seller, and he noted that it decodes every spec it supports to the analog connectors.

Just wish it had a remote

On the other hand, octavainc has one, that ONLY supports LPCM (they recommend it for the PS3). It also costs almost as much as a new AVR!

·
Registered
631 Posts
seems like alot of money for something like this. paying the same amount for this unit that I did for my S350 doesn't seem right.

guess I will stick with DD and just buy the PTC HDMI unit to have an extra input. thats only $30, I just dont see how the audio portion has to add that much cost. I can't justify spending that amount when I can sell my unit and buy the sony with analog outs.

oh well, DD does still sound good anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check out my post here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post15512878

"Cirrus Logic CDB4344 D/A converters (4 of them, for 8 channels). These are rated for 192kHz operation."

I bought two of the units to experiment with --- and I took one of them apart (and of course, broke the little warranty sticker on that one).

The big problem with this unit is no time and/or bass management.

I am considering producing a mod for the unit that will add those features, digitally, by taking the cirrus DACs out of the loop (they use a standard interface), and moving the data out to coax outputs of 2 channels each. I can then pull that data into a DSP, and perform the functionality there.

Of course, this is just a project, it would be much cheaper to buy a receiver with these decoders (or just HDMI PCM decoding), and using the pre-amp outs to drive your previous receiver/amplifier setup.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm very interested in one of these....

I'm running all pro equipment with a HTPC as my front end. I need something to take the HDMI feed from the HTPC and convert it to 8 channels of analogue. These 8 channels can then be processed through my two Soundweb 9088's.

The Soundwebs can do time delay but bass management will already have been done by the CV505. I understand that the CV505 does LF crossover at 80hz......

·
Registered
250 Posts
Aqua,

If you're still around here somewhere, what do you think of the quality (build and sound) of this unit?

Do you think it's worth $150 for someone like me who needs to take an HDMI (LPCM) feed out of my HTPC and get analogue? Or, would a sound card like the Xonar DX2 be a better option?

Just intetrested in your thoughts....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci /forum/post/16396021

Has anyone actually tested whether the CV-505 decodes compressed audio and converts to 7.1 analog output?

For example, if a Blu-ray player does not decode TrueHD, but rather sends the TrueHD bitstream (still compressed) to the CV-505, does the CV-505 decode the TrueHD bitstream and produce 7.1 analog output?

It does decode it and put it on 7.1 analog, however I wasn't satisfied with how it sounded so I actually bought this and love it: http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20swit..._7_1audio.html

Alternatively for around the same price you could just buy another blu-ray player that has 7.1 multi-channel output.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaffer /forum/post/16396260

It does decode it and put it on 7.1 analog,

Thanks. Which of these did you happen to try: DD, DD Plus, TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD HRA, DTS-HD MA.

Does it also convert them to 7.1 LPCM on its HDMI output? (which could be fed to a receiver that supports 7.1 LPCM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaffer /forum/post/16396260

however I wasn't satisfied with how it sounded

What was unsatisfying about the sound exactly?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci /forum/post/16396907

Thanks. Which of these did you happen to try: DD, DD Plus, TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD HRA, DTS-HD MA.

Does it also convert them to 7.1 LPCM on its HDMI output? (which could be fed to a receiver that supports 7.1 LPCM)

What was unsatisfying about the sound exactly?

I have used it with TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD HRA, DTS-HD MA and it decoded each. Not sure about DD or DD plus though.

As for LPCM, no it does not send an LPCM signal that can be decoded to my knowledge. I wasn't satisfied with the sound crispness and depth. I don't exactly know how to describe how it sounded but it just didn't sound as vibrant as I expected. The octava product definitely made me happier.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Bump, anyone else use this device?

They are still on ebay and Im considering it to replace a complete AVR setup to test out a Active DSP design concept some one is bantering around in the DIY forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.