Registered
6,242 Posts
Westinghouse... BOO!

RCA... BOO!

Sylvania... BOO!

Zenith... BOO!

Magnavox... BOO!

Emerson... BOO!

They were all great American brands at one time that have now been farmed out to China and beyond and relegated to the bottom of the proverbial barrel. Only the great names remain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was torn between this set and an Element Electronics TV at Walmart, I decided on the Element because during the Black Friday weekend Walmart had it on sale for $xxx as well and Best Buy didn't allow you to pick up the Westinghouse in store and after a four year warranty the total cost was $ ~$250 more (cost of TV, Tax, and warranty) where the element was $xxx (free shipping, no Tax, warranty, and I had a $100 in Walmart gift cards). I just checked Best Buy (12-07-10) and they are now allowing me to pick up this TV in store, total price for the TV, and four year warranty would be $xxx, ~$150 more than the Element.

However, after setting up the Element there are a few things that although small are rubbing me the wrong way:

1. There was no remote/batteries in the box. Yes, they literally omitted it when they packed it/QA'd it.

2. After you remove the bag that the TV and stand shipped in there are no protective plastic sheets on the Piano Black finish. I knew that the finish was piano black, it's just that since it scratches so easily I like to keep the protective plastic around the bezel and stand. Over the years I've bought several Vizio's and Dynex's and they've all had the plastic film. As of now I'm covering the TV with the bag it shipped (definitely NOT ideal).

3. From the moment you hit the power button it takes about 9-10 seconds until you see the 'Element Electronics logo and another 4-5 seconds until you see an actual picture on the TV, about 15 seconds total.

4. There's no back light control in the menu (great way to save electricity), so whether you are watching a movie, playing a game or sitting at a black screen you're burning ~250 watts. In comparison my Dynex 46" which had back-light control if put down to zero Back-light (which BTW, in my environment was plenty bright) would consume 100 Watts.

5. The power/AC cable is attached/fixed to the TV. You can't physically remove it and attach it, think toaster/blender/microwave, etc.

6. You can't rename/relabel the channels or the inputs.

7. When deleting/skipping channels you have to go through your channel lineup, write down all the channels you don't want and then go into the menu and check the aforementioned (picked) channels. Again, unlike other TV's I've owned which allowed you to go to the channel add/delete menu and view what was actually playing on the channel in real time the Element does not.

8. Arguably the most important, the image isn't as sharp as the Dynex 46" it replaced, I'd say it's about 10-15% less sharp, crisp, and more jittery than the Dynex.

If anyone could please comment/take the time to compare your Westinghouse directly on my points I would truly, TRULY appreciate it!

Thank you in advance!

Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone own this Westinghouse? Could you please share your feedback on a couple of specific questions about this Westinghouse 55" LCD TV ($799)? I could really use some answers before deciding whether or not to get it.

1. Does it do 1:1 pixel mapping through HDMI? (also known as "Just Scan" i.e. no overscan or underscan)? This is important to use with a PC.

2. Can the backlight be adjusted (slightly different from brightness, which is of course available. most LCD HDTVs backlight is too bright for use as a monitor and needs to be adjusted lower)? Sometimes it is marked as for dark room / bright room on some TVs but if incremental backlight level can be adjusted instead of preset, that would be great to know. (Mike above mentioned this about the Element 55".)

Please help. Thank you.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALLYTANGY /forum/post/19611547

I was torn between this set and an Element Electronics TV at Walmart, I decided on the Element because during the Black Friday weekend Walmart had it on sale for $xxx as well and Best Buy didn't allow you to pick up the Westinghouse in store and after a four year warranty the total cost was $ ~$250 more (cost of TV, Tax, and warranty) where the element was $xxx (free shipping, no Tax, warranty, and I had a $100 in Walmart gift cards). I just checked Best Buy (12-07-10) and they are now allowing me to pick up this TV in store, total price for the TV, and four year warranty would be $xxx, ~$150 more than the Element.

However, after setting up the Element there are a few things that although small are rubbing me the wrong way:

1. There was no remote/batteries in the box. Yes, they literally omitted it when they packed it/QA'd it.

2. After you remove the bag that the TV and stand shipped in there are no protective plastic sheets on the Piano Black finish. I knew that the finish was piano black, it's just that since it scratches so easily I like to keep the protective plastic around the bezel and stand. Over the years I've bought several Vizio's and Dynex's and they've all had the plastic film. As of now I'm covering the TV with the bag it shipped (definitely NOT ideal).

3. From the moment you hit the power button it takes about 9-10 seconds until you see the 'Element Electronics logo and another 4-5 seconds until you see an actual picture on the TV, about 15 seconds total.

4. There's no back light control in the menu (great way to save electricity), so whether you are watching a movie, playing a game or sitting at a black screen you're burning ~250 watts. In comparison my Dynex 46" which had back-light control if put down to zero Back-light (which BTW, in my environment was plenty bright) would consume 100 Watts.

5. The power/AC cable is attached/fixed to the TV. You can't physically remove it and attach it, think toaster/blender/microwave, etc.

6. You can't rename/relabel the channels or the inputs.

7. When deleting/skipping channels you have to go through your channel lineup, write down all the channels you don't want and then go into the menu and check the aforementioned (picked) channels. Again, unlike other TV's I've owned which allowed you to go to the channel add/delete menu and view what was actually playing on the channel in real time the Element does not.

8. Arguably the most important, the image isn't as sharp as the Dynex 46" it replaced, I'd say it's about 10-15% less sharp, crisp, and more jittery than the Dynex.

If anyone could please comment/take the time to compare your Westinghouse directly on my points I would truly, TRULY appreciate it!

Thank you in advance!

Mike

Thanks for the writeup. I was considering one of these to go over my fireplace since it is the right size and the price is very appealing.

This wouldn't be where movies or main tv shows are watched (we have a projector upstairs), just mainly to have something in the proper place with proper proportions in the the family room.

Would you recommend it for this situation or do you think it would be worth spending more? The channel thing wouldn't bother me as I use sage.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19536090

Westinghouse... BOO!

RCA... BOO!

Sylvania... BOO!

Zenith... BOO!

Magnavox... BOO!

Emerson... BOO!

They were all great American brands at one time that have now been farmed out to China and beyond and relegated to the bottom of the proverbial barrel. Only the great names remain.

You can add ProScan to your list.

Then there are other brands like Dynex, Haier, Insignia, Curtis, and others.

Consumer Reports actually check rated the AOC L42H961.

LCD TVs are increasingly becoming commodities like microwave ovens, and there are a lot of low income people who will buy the least expensive brands.

Think about what has happened to LCD computer monitors. When they first came out they were way expensive. Now, 23-24 inch monitors are less than $200.

LCD TVs are headed down the same path.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.