AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing my basement. See the attached floor plan and proposed location for the speaker placement.

Has anyone heard or used Niles HD-LCR (in-wall) or HD-FX (in-ceiling) speakers. There aren't too many reviews out there.

These are the recommendation from my A/V consultant for the more expensive and nicer solution.

He basically recommended the Episode 300 speakers (Snap AV) (around $70/speaker) on a budget or these Niles speakers (~$290/speaker) to blow my socks off. I want to do this right the first time, so I figured that the Episode 300 speakers are probably too entry/budget level. The Niles speakers are overbudget but might be worth it if they are really as good as my A/V consultant claims they are.

He says that there is nothing in between the Niles and Episode speakers that he would recommend.

I do like that Niles speakers are made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like these were first made available for sale on Amazon in 2005 (according to the Amazon website)

Am I overpaying for old technology?

However, the description is exactly what my A/V consultant said I could expect (especially with the HD-FX speakers)
http://www.smarthome.com/67247/Niles...er-Each/p.aspx

I am curious if there is a more recent version of the Niles speakers that people are happy with for around the same price.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Don't worry about the date of design as speakers rarely change.

There are loads of options, that's why I asked what other brands he deals in.

I would ask about the Episode 700 in wall LCR speaker as it has a engineered enclosure and can be had for around the same price. I don't know what you're doing for rears so I can't respond to that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor /forum/post/20800945

Don't worry about the date of design as speakers rarely change.

There are loads of options, that's why I asked what other brands he deals in.

I would ask about the Episode 700 in wall LCR speaker as it has a engineered enclosure and can be had for around the same price. I don't know what you're doing for rears so I can't respond to that.

He claimed that none of the Episode speakers were worth the upgrade from the Episode 300. He basically said to either stick with the Episode 300 or move up to the Niles LCR-HD/FX, but not worth getting anything in between.

The HD-FX are the 2 rears.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
The Niles is a good speaker and MSRP is $329. The Episode 700 series that compares is $399 MSRP. The 700 series which has an enclosure is $699 MSRP. You'd have to see what discounts you can get.

IMHO, both are good speakers. However, although they are an upgrade if you could stretch the budget a little more I would look at speakers that have an enclosure.

A speaker has to be designed for the best performance based off of what size enclosure it is in. ANY in wall speaker with an open back is using the stud bay as its enclosure. Sizes of stud bays differ, some have fire blocks, headers, different height ceilings, different insulations or none, etc. All of this effects performance and you rarely know the specifics for which it was designed but at least if you make all your stud bays the same it will at least be consistent if not ideal.

An enclosed in wall speaker will give better performance and has no sound bleeding through the studs, walls, ceiling, etc. The 700 series mentioned is the lowest price Episode with an enclosure, The Niles Stage front series with enclosures start at $500 MSRP. I'm not sure what other brands are available from your dealer for this type of speaker. But, the Episode and Niles are both good brands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts