AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 106", very inexpensively priced (even less than Monoprice) and includes a remote, but I couldn't find any information on it anywhere. Going by appearance, it doesn't seem to be the same screen that Monoprice sells.

I don't expect high end, but paired with a used 720p projector, it would allow the non-DIYer (i.e. someone who's not willing to build his own screen, or doesn't have the space for it) to set up a budget theater for well under $1,000.

Here's a link.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found this thread hoping to get some info on the screen myself, but it looks like you're in the same boat I am.

Decided to take a risk and spend the $133 it cost total with shipping since the Monoprice screen is much more expensive and does not include the remote. Hopefully I won't be disappointed, but I'll definitely let you know how it goes and take some pictures once I have it up.

For reference sake, I'll be doing my initial testing in a white room with a little ambient light and shooting a Viewsonic pro8100 onto it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I received and installed the screen, but haven't had a chance to take pictures yet. I will if there is still interest after this post, though.

It's definitely a $133 (shipped) screen in build / image quality and I do wish there were some that fit in the market segment between it and the crazy 4 digit priced screens, but it will have to do for my needs for a while.

Basically, it's your usual white screen with a black border painted on that was made in China. The border does not do a good job of absorbing the light. The screen has a slight texture that is still visible about 14' away from the screen when there are large planes of a single color, but not distracting at all when there is a large amount of detail on screen.

Doesn't seem to provide much gain, but I'm lacking in the tools to accurately measure it. Just kind of eyeballing it compared to the white wall it was originally projecting onto.

The motor is quiet and it does come with an IR remote, which is a huge plus over the Monoprice one, since they wanted to charge extra for that kit. Overall, the mechanical side of the screen is the best part. Retracts and glides down just fine and can be stopped at a point of your choosing with the three button remote. The wall kit does have a bright red LED, but a piece of putty or tape will take care of that.

Finally, my biggest complaint is the aspect ratio. Unless my projector isn't throwing the right ratio, the screen isn't true 16x9. It's too wide and there are white areas on the right and left of the image when the top and bottom are scaled to fit. I'm going to update the firmware on my pro8100 to see if I can get more scaling/geometry settings, but I have a bad feeling that this is something I'm going to have to live with.

If I do end staying with this screen long term I will be getting more thorough border paint or velvet to cover over the original border and to also fill in the horizontal gaps.

It's cheap, but it works. After the wiring, paint that isn't painted yet, the projector, furniture, and a down payment on the house... I ran out of funds for a while, so a budget screen will do me just fine.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your review! Some pics would be great, if they show more than what the geeks.com ad showed. Think you can get a close-up of the texture? How about some screen shots?

Regarding the aspect ratio: I think your best bet would be to measure it. The firmware on your projector shouldn't affect the AR, as we're talking about a fixed pixel device.

So it seems that this would be a good solution for a (very) budget theater, as I surmised. I know a couple of people who love the big screen idea, but who aren't as fussy as us enthusiasts regarding PQ. And it's cheap enough that if you decide later that you want something better, you won't feel bad about replacing it (you might even be able to get a few bucks on ebay for it, so save that box!).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did anyone else here take the plunge on this $100 electric screen.

This is exactly what I need for my setup, and was wondering if anyone had any reviews of this. Right now I don't even have a flat wall.

BTW, you can get an additional 10% off by using a code for geeks.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.