AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
40" LED, my Best Buy just put it out on their floor yesterday.

Are Insignia's still to be avoided these days?

·
Registered
360 Posts
At one time the Insigna brand was manufactured by LG for Best Buy as a "value buy". Not sure if this is stilll the case. Check out the LG threads for comment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jay since you saw it on the floor any first impressions. From the pictures on Best Buy's website I am not that impressed with the bezel design. Appears a bit wide and curvy.

I don't think LG makes any 40 inch panels so Insignia may be getting it's tech from the same source as Samsung/Sony. I wonder whose chips/software they are using for image/motion processing. The specs for their dynemic contrast is only 16000:1 much less then the 5000000:1 numbers other manufacturers are throughing around. I wonder if the processing is realy worse or a more realistic number.

Looks like an interesting set. At this price it has caught my attention.

Update: They just raised their price by $100. Less interesting now...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was looking at it today and one of the staff in Best Buy (and one who was vastly brighter than the usual underpaid and undereducated kids they get) told me he thought it was made for them by Toshiba. It looks like a terrific buy to me: Super thin, LED, 120hz. Picture looked fine to me (but they all do in the store). A bit too large for my room. I was seeking a 37onch screen but I think I will buy it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm comparing this set with a Sony Bravia (KDL40EX700) and I'm considering going with the Insignia because of the price.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I picked it up and I'm taking it back. The colors are subpar, the pixel performance made the image muddy in games and the contrast is not great and mostly washed out.

My 50 LG 720p plasma looks way better in all of those areas with the exception of the fine detail the 1080p resolution provides for in the brighter scenes.

I think I am stuck in plasma land if I want contrast in this price range.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuycheap /forum/post/19120508

I picked it up and I'm taking it back. The colors are subpar, the pixel performance made the image muddy in games and the contrast is not great and mostly washed out.

My 50 LG 720p plasma looks way better in all of those areas with the exception of the fine detail the 1080p resolution provides for in the brighter scenes.

I think I am stuck in plasma land if I want contrast in this price range.

You are stuck in plasma land if you wan high contrast at that price point

I would tell you in LED you need a Samsung 7000 series....and that more than twice the price of this set

I bought one yesterday open box for $434 with 36 months same as cash

For the performance/price ratio I could not be happier

However..this is not for my main TV....so if that was the need this one would not do

However for me..I like the Samsung C8000 Plasma/LED models for that type of application

Warren

·
Registered
6,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastevenson /forum/post/19119766

Who makes the panel on these?

I saw some one say that it is a SAMSUNG PANEL

From the link they posted it seemed accurate

However..even if that is the case it is using another company's operating system..as the menus, remote and navigation are not Samsung

The color also is not like the Samsung LED's

Warren

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings,

I've had this Sony for a few months now and it plays beautiful. I connected an ethernet cable to my router, it works fine for Netflix video streaming. Now I'm having trouble setting it up to stream videos from my PC Hard Drive. I've tried using the Windows Media Center and I couldn't get it to work. Any help

or somewhere I can read about setting this up.

Thanks Joe

·
Registered
265 Posts
In doing some research on Insignia product they get their panels from a number of places. Something like Xaoing, Acer/AU Optronics, Samsung, and LG even.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Still curious about the Best Buy own brand Insignia NS-40E560A11. For $499 it seemed a great deal: an LED tv that is 1080p + 120Hz and also comes with a two year warranty. I didn't buy one but if it shows up again (and I can't see why it wouldn't) I think I will pick one up.

I just would like to get some feedback from someone who owns one.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
This particular model had gone on clearance quite a while ago so you might be out of luck.

I have seen 1-2 in the stores but some stores are likely out of them. The removed it from their website long ago.

There is a replacement 42" model out that is several hundred dollars more.

The 46" model is still available and you will likely see it go on clearance..like the 40" did earlier this year

The fact thats its still on the BB website says they have enough inventory to do something with it

I snagged one of these for $434( open box) when they marked for $499 fort those two days

For that price and as a general use TV/monitor its a great deal

Warren

1 - 15 of 15 Posts