AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sounds like its a nice deal...havent seen one, just wonderin what people thought about it...thanks :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Do two separate searches, one under "x80" and another under "x80u" (the search engine reads them differently). You will get several pages of threads. Do not type both into the same search, or you will get next to nothing.

You'll find my views and the views of other forum members there.

Mike

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have had one since March

Good points:

1. Needs no calibration for a normal human being. (Set mine in a brown (cedar log) room to: Contrast 8, Brightness -1, sharpness 10.

2. Has very rich colors.

3. No DLP issues.

4. Virtually no screen door

Bad points: for 1080i a 4:3 1024 x 768 projector delivers half as much picture as a 16:9 WXGA.

The forum Members seem to prefer the Panasonic LC-75U and the NEC -LT 150z.

But I am completely satisfied with the X80U and it has a next day 3 year replacement policy as well as Colorview using cyan magenta and yellow in addition to RGB. (I have edited my post which previously inaccurately described this as a colorwheel.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok...thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just ran a slide show of digital camera stills. And I, who have never seen HD on the X80, finally got a a jaw-dropping experience. If I can get source material of this quality rolling at 24 fps or better. I will be in heaven. The colors on this projector are mind boggling. It will be some time before I can post the screenshots, as I am ponying up for the HD gear now...But when I do Panny lovers take cover. I seriously doubt you can do better.

Other Superlatives: Razor Sharp, Crystal Clear.

Alex

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome!!!

i think im going to get one of these projectors!

thanks man!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is this projector pretty quiet?

·
Registered
280 Posts
ahagen:

The X80 is an LCD projector and does not have a "6-color wheel" or a DLP wheel of any kind. It has three stationary panels which would cause absolute chaos if they decided to spin.

I owned two different X80's. The first had all the virtues you describe, although it was weak on contrast compared to most other projectors I have auditioned (like the Panasonic 711Xu, Sanyo XP21N, Sanyo PLV-60, NEC-LT150, etc, etc.) But the richness of the colors and overall smoothness of the picture were very gratifying, and I came within one day of my 30-day trial period of keeping the machine.

In fact, I liked it so well that I bought another one later, after being disappointed with several other models, but the second machine was not nearly as smooth and sharp as the first and was also afflicted by highly visible vertical lines. It went back fast.

At this point I think I would find it hard to accept the weak contrast of the X80, in spite of its wonderful colors, when the Panny 711Xu has much deeper blacks for about the same price and colors just as good, although I felt that my first X80 was sharper.

It also appears from the Mits website that the X80u is discontinued, so anyone interested in this very attractive machine should move fast. I would also try to put a little extra pressure on the salesman; dealers should be getting factory incentives to move out existing stock so that the newer models can reach their shelves.

Mike

·
Registered
149 Posts
Catullus is more authoritative as he has seen other PJ's. I have not demo'd other units at home. All I can say is if he is correct - I will eventually upgrade the unit. Based on the discussions the Toshiba MT7 refurbished might be the way to go for about 3500.00 Native WXGA.

·
Banned
770 Posts
Catallus, while manufactureers will often lower their cost on a unit that they are going to discontinue, they do not offer "factory incentives". It is usually up to the dealer to lower cost after that. I own the Mitsubishi X70 and would agree with your assesment although the contrst is a bit better on the X70

·
Registered
149 Posts
Are you guys using the Mitsubish with an HTPC ?

I assume your saying that very light scenes are the problems ?

I have noticed in extremely white scenes a washed out quality. I am using a dalite 1.5 gain white screen though, which may not be as ideal as a grey screen. (I have no idea about grey screens - but that won;t deter me from opining.)

Other than that the clarity and colors are fantastic.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I believe that the X70 has a contrast of 250:1 vs 300:1 on the X80 so it is hard to believe the X70 has higher contrast. From all the talk maybe I just lucked out in getting the best X80U possible.

·
Banned
770 Posts
Ahagen, I've had them side by side, I'll take my blacks on the X70, regardless of specs. Same thing with the Hitachi X275 and Hitachi X380. X380 says higher contrast but side by side shows different. This often happens with a nunregulated spec. Don't believe everything you read. I love my Mitsu so that would be two happy people. By the way you might want to catch my thread "filter question" . The Hoya works great on the Mitsu's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.