AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying ISF Auto on my DIY calibrated 111FD and I am pretty pleased with the results. But I've been wondering if anybody knows what the progression of change is in the profile as light levels change? And does it take a 24 hour cycle for the display to figure it out?

Let's say I'm using ISF Day as the basis for my ISF Auto settings. If I transfer them to the Auto slot and enable it at night, how does the light sensor know what time of day it is, or whether the amount of light on the sensor is at its minimum or maximum? Assuming that it has a way to know that, what does it do as the light in the room gets lower and lower?

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
From my experience, I have used the meter on automatic readings while in Auto to see what the changes were on a 151. I really wasn't all that pleased with the result. It does change quite a bit in light output with the lights on or off. In my opinion, I find it somewhat of a useless feature. You have optimized for day and night and scan rate...what else is there...a rainy day I guess?

·
Registered
360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony /forum/post/17010933

I've been trying ISF Auto on my DIY calibrated 111FD and I am pretty pleased with the results. But I've been wondering if anybody knows what the progression of change is in the profile as light levels change? And does it take a 24 hour cycle for the display to figure it out?

Let's say I'm using ISF Day as the basis for my ISF Auto settings. If I transfer them to the Auto slot and enable it at night, how does the light sensor know what time of day it is, or whether the amount of light on the sensor is at its minimum or maximum? Assuming that it has a way to know that, what does it do as the light in the room gets lower and lower?

Tony; I have my ISF-Day settings in ISF-Auto on my 111FD. I've found that as long as Intelligence is set to 1, the light sensor will adjust the picture in ISF-Auto for ambient light conditions. At night, in a dimly lit room (dark except for my bias light behind the TV) I've gone back and forth a few times to check the difference between ISF-Night and ISF-Auto. ISF-Auto is as dim (or dimmer!) than ISF-Night.

From what I've seen, the sensor is always active and always adjusting to ambient light conditions, i.e., there doesn't seem to be a 'lead' time required for it to kick in.

So the advantage I've found is that I can leave my set on ISF-Auto and the TV will adjust the picture to the ambient light conditions. However, I have my color sensor disconnected, so the only change is in the brightness of the picture - the colors are not changed.

Edit: There's LOTS more info on this in the Pioneer Elite threads.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks G. I must have missed the discussion about this in the Plasma threads. I have mine set up the same as you do. It didn't even occur to me to flip it over to ISF Night and check the difference!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
The last couple times I've done ISF auto, it gave about 28.5 fL with no light in the room and 45 fL with all lights on and a light shining on the TV. I was getting in the 50's with ISF day.

It takes several seconds to sense a light change and adjust accordingly, and the transition seems pretty smooth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts