AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Panny 6UY delivered to an address in the states, now I just gotta get it across the ocean and delivered to Italy. I can handle the customs once it gets here so as to not give the Italian government a dime (greedy bastages). I'm military stationed here and can have it delivered in the base and avoid customs. I just need a good shipper that won't charge me 1/3 what I paid for the screen. Best I've seen so far is 600 door to door and that was from UPS and will take a week to get here. I'd prefer price over speed so if anyone knows a cheaper way to get it here, even if it's slower, I'd be more than happy to hear about it. C'mon give me a hand so I can join the ranks of the "Plasma Gods"............ Muuahahahhahaaaa

BTW- for anyone curious it was 2X as much $$$ here in Italy so local purchase was not an option.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Heck, $600 door to door sounds pretty good US->Italy, as usually just to go from one state to another its $100-200!

Are you going to have power problems, or are these sets 110/220? The reason I ask is that the plasmas suck a lot of juice -- over 500 watts for a 50", about 400 for a 42".

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the commercial Panny TH-42PWD6UY and it only takes 120volts, but I already run a transformer for some of my other A/V equipment so adding the Panny to that powerstrip is not a problem. It'll handle the 50hz just fine!

·
Registered
93 Posts
There's a guy in NY who shipped himself in a crate to save airfare. Maybe he could provide a few ideas here:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a 1K watt and a 2K watt transformer, I think I'll be OK :) But thanks all the same :cool:

·
Registered
430 Posts
You could try the UK, Plasma prices here are quite competitive and compare quite favourable to the prices in the US. Also you wouldn't have to worry about customs as the UK and Italy are with the EU.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Any relatives in the service?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Make sure it ships insured, and don't forget to read the fine print: some shippers will take your money for insurance of a Plasma screen but will then refuse to pay when it is broken. It is just a high teck slab of glass, sort of like boxing a window from your house and shipping it away. Once cracked, there's no repairing it, and its value is zeroed out instantly.

Don't underestimate the customs folks: they broke my projector, and I was no longer covered by my shipping insurance as it had been signed off to the local freight forwarder who said: "your tough luck - sue me". I'm toying with the idea of bringing one back with me on the plane, as overweight baggage. Probably too big in its original box... :confused:

·
Registered
109 Posts
$600 is CHEAP! I wanted a pinball machine delivered from CA to MT and they wanted $1100 to ship it. The pinball machine only cost me $400, so don't base shipping cost just on price. It also is because they have to be extremely careful with it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sheggsl - I thought briefly about buying from the UK, but I'd still have to pay the VAT, 20% which I'd rather avoid. Locally they have it for 5,000 euro and I could have gotten that tax emempt to bring it to 4000 euro. Instead I bought it for 3,000USD and had it shipped from the states (600USD) here. No taxes paid to ANY government(The way it should be):D ) Customs is no longer an issue as it is coming to the base as "official mail" hee hee, gotta love NATO!

damon- No relatives left in the service, I was the last one in, and only did 11 years before crossing over into the DOD Civilian side of things (much better I might add). Was also in Italy though from 94-2001. Just came back this year!

Brett- The shipper I got was FEDEX and they're covering it for 3000USD. Heck the thing is already here in Milan awaiting transport to the base. That FEDEX was supa fast. Customs won't break it at the base cuz they're never gonna open it! Hookups on all sides.....................

McNasty- The more you guys post, the better I feel about the FEDEX deal I got. Thanks!:p

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My mom is fixing to come over and she looked into cheking it onboard. It definitely falls into the realm of "oversized baggage" with it's factory packing materials. The said it would have cost as much as another plane ticket to get it onboard. As far as stripping down the packing materials....... uh...... I got a question for ya. You ever been sitting in the plane at the gate and watched those guys load your "luggage". It's not a pretty site. You can write FRAGILE all you want on a box but it gets tossed around all the same and if you've ever tried filing a claim for damaged luggage with an airline..............................................:mad:

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Cool - glad to hear it is getting there fine. FedEx is one of the shippers with the no plasma coverage insurance clauses, even after saying otherwise and taking your insurance money. Try a search here and the horror story will turn up.

I'm a taxable civilian, so no PX for Brett! :(

So I'm looking into a 6UY at around 3500€ in Germany tax paid, with luck. :cool:

Let us know how you like it once set up.

Cheers,

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just searched and found the thread about FEDEX and plasmas that you mentioned. My brother in law did all the paperwork and mentioned nothing to me about disclaimers and we did get the insurance. Granted, the box DOES have the red "impact sensors" so I'd know if it was tipped or dropped, but still, that aint gonna do me any good if they're not going to honor the insurance I already paid for. I should take possesion of it Monday ot Tuesday. Until then, ULCER TIME........ (sobs quietly and goes back to his corner to bite fingernails)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did a search on FEDEX for "plasma" and came up with this:

Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of $500:

Glassware, including, but not limited to, signs, mirrors, ceramics, porcelains, china, crystal, glass, framed glass, plasma screens /flat panel display screens, and any other commodity with similarly fragile qualities.

So I'm not totally out, If they break my 3,600 dollar investment I'll still be covered for up to 500 of that. Geez, I could almost recoup the shipping costs I would have paid to have it broken in the first place. I feel sooooo much better now (goes back to previous corner feeling somehow more "religious" now and begins praying to God for safe plasma delivery)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.