AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Without knowing your specific brand/model, it's hard to say but most commonly:

The port on your receiver is probably an INPUT. If you have an IR repeater or distribution system, you can just run a direct cable into this port, rather than glueing an IR emitter to the front of the box. Works the same - just a lot cleaner.

The port on your PVR is probably just an OUTPUT. You connect an IR emitter here so the PVR can control your cable or satellite tuner box.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimre /forum/post/0

Without knowing your specific brand/model, it's hard to say but most commonly:

The port on your receiver is probably an INPUT. If you have an IR repeater or distribution system, you can just run a direct cable into this port, rather than glueing an IR emitter to the front of the box. Works the same - just a lot cleaner.

The port on your PVR is probably just an OUTPUT. You connect an IR emitter here so the PVR can control your cable or satellite tuner box.

Yep.

Except, most low to mid-end receivers *I've* seen, the IR port on the receiver is an *output* as well, to allow it to control other audio components (a cd player, etc)...

·
Banned
2,646 Posts

Quote:
If you have an IR repeater or distribution system, you can just run a direct cable into this port, rather than glueing an IR emitter to the front of the box. Works the same - just a lot cleaner

Except that the IR inputs accept demodulated data, and most IR extenders output modulated data.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus /forum/post/0

Except that the IR inputs accept demodulated data, and most IR extenders output modulated data.

Well it works for me. I run a cable directly from my Xantech IR distribution block into this jack on my receiver. Works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.