AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this? I know the Panny can be used with the Bravo, and the Bravo has some of the same electronics as the Momitsu, but I didn't want to make any assumptions before ordering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also have a Panny PT-L300U. I am interested, as you are, in finding a DVD player for it that will give top notch picture quality.

The Liteon is sounding interesting since reviewers claim it can do 720x576i (625i). That video mode would bypass the PT-L300U's internal scan-line converter and would therefore produce a AA rated picture quality as mentioned on page 61 of the projector manual.

It seems that I could disable the Macrovision and get the DVD player to output 720x576i.

I'm not sure that their is a DVD player with DVI that would dramatically outperform the aforementioned.

Any comments or replies would be greatly appreciated.

-Jordan

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't have a Panasonic PT-L300U, but I do have a Momitsu V880. If you upgrade it to the latest firmware, there are now dedicated mode settings in the DVI output menu for the AE/PT300. So I would assume they would work very well together with these modes engaged.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ktak
I don't have a Panasonic PT-L300U, but I do have a Momitsu V880. If you upgrade it to the latest firmware, there are now dedicated mode settings in the DVI output menu for the AE/PT300. So I would assume they would work very well together with these modes engaged.
Hello KTAK and thanks for the awesome news!

It turns out, since my earlier post, I did hours of reading on the boards and concluded that DVI was probably in my near future. Specifically, I was most interested in the Momitsu and the various "clones".

The only thing is that this player is difficult to acquire in the US. I've heard stories about having to send personal checks to California. I think my best bet would be to order it from Amazon-Japan where it is listed. Unfortunately, I can't read Japanese so I don't think I'll be able to go that route.

Thanks again.

-Jordan

·
Registered
483 Posts
Jordan, go to ********.com I got mine there for $275 shipped to my door in Michigan. No duty or tax either. Pay with credit card and if it doesn't show up, run a simple charge back on your card. All I can say is that ******** were very helpful.....even called within 2 hours of me placing my order to tell me it had already shipped! Ordered Wednesday evening, got it by Saturday afternoon.

I have a Panasonic PTL-300u with the V880 and 10-31-03 firmware update. I've tried component and DVI. The picture quality on either is not as good compared to the same movie being broadcast at 1080i on Comcast Digital Cable. I did the comparison last night with 'The Transporter' movie. I've used the 300u Wide 768 mode on the projector......just isn't as sharp in detail compared to the comcast HDTV broadcast.

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong. I'm yet to use Digital Video Essentials to calibrate my projector for DVI yet. Maybe that's my problem.

Also, I am unable to get 1080i on DVI....works well with component cable.

HTH.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Simon,

It's not really fair to compare HDTV 1080i broadcasts to an image upscaled from a 480 or 576 line DVD. Extra detail can't just be produced out of thin air! ;)

Steve

·
Registered
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sime
Jordan, go to ********.com I got mine there for $275 shipped to my door in Michigan. No duty or tax either. Pay with credit card and if it doesn't show up, run a simple charge back on your card. All I can say is that ******** were very helpful.....even called within 2 hours of me placing my order to tell me it had already shipped! Ordered Wednesday evening, got it by Saturday afternoon.

I have a Panasonic PTL-300u with the V880 and 10-31-03 firmware update. I've tried component and DVI. The picture quality on either is not as good compared to the same movie being broadcast at 1080i on Comcast Digital Cable. I did the comparison last night with 'The Transporter' movie. I've used the 300u Wide 768 mode on the projector......just isn't as sharp in detail compared to the comcast HDTV broadcast.

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong. I'm yet to use Digital Video Essentials to calibrate my projector for DVI yet. Maybe that's my problem.

Also, I am unable to get 1080i on DVI....works well with component cable.

HTH.
Hi, Sime,

The latest firmware is the one released on 11-10-03. It seems that the shop that you bought from doesn't have the latest firmware. The 10-31-03 firmware update is buggy.

·
Registered
483 Posts
hi kwokyan,

When I received my V880, it has firmware from June! I updated it to the 10/31/03 version. I have made an ISO CD of the 111003 and will be updating my player tonight. Hopefully it will be good! Although, I have not experienced any problems with the 103103 firmware.

Keep in mind though that it is unlikely that any players are being shipped with the 111003 firmware.....it was only released 9 days ago.....so likely no in-store players will have this firmware yet. If one wants it, they'd have to download it.

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.