AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a desktop case that is NOT ginormous. All I need to fit is my 5970 and the PSU 1 optical drive and a SSD. Every case that seems big enough to fit the card tends to have 10 drive bays in front which looks stupid and compltely unnecessary for my needs. I have it in a smallish case now but I cant put the sides on because its like half an inch too small for the PSU to fit when the cables are plugged in. I think it might have to be a top mount PSU case but all the small cases that fit an ATX board seem way too big for what I would like.

Any ideas? Id prefer ~$50ish

Thanks

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I have an Antec Solo. In it is a 4870, 2 HDDs, 1 optical drive, multicard reader, and a 650w Enermax PSU. It all fits in there just fine even though it's not a modular PSU.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but thats a $100+ case. If I was going to spend in that range I would probably get another Lian Li. I really dont have the money right now and its hard to justify spending so much on a case.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/18143275

Yeah but thats a $100+ case. If I was going to spend in that range I would probably get another Lian Li. I really dont have the money right now and its hard to justify spending so much on a case.

I hadn't checked prices on it lately. I got it on sale for around $55-60, but that was black friday '08

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is my desktop or home office computer. The problem is the odd sizes of the components. The card is long and wide as well as the psu is wide. I have just been using this rosewill case which is fine but the sidse wont fit with all this stuff inside. I am not looking for a budget I am just trying to find a decent case witout overspendng.

·
Registered
288 Posts
What's your gaming computer? a Kray?

I'd say what you listed will work fine, the nMedia case listed, or an Antec 900/1200, but the Antec might be more than $50. Have you tried E-bay or Craigslist? I bought my current gaming case for $60 off a place like that, MSRP for $200.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask /forum/post/18144155

This is my desktop or home office computer. The problem is the odd sizes of the components. The card is long and wide as well as the psu is wide. I have just been using this rosewill case which is fine but the sidse wont fit with all this stuff inside. I am not looking for a budget I am just trying to find a decent case witout overspendng.

Isn't a $600 video card just a bit overkill for a home office machine?

·
Registered
96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo /forum/post/18143480

How about a media box?

This case will not even come close to handling a 5970. I have the same case with a 5750 in it and the card sits flush with the top cover. It also only leaves about 2 inches between the card and the drive bays. You may need to do some cutting on a small case to get the card to fit.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well its my gaming machine I should have said lol. I guess that does seem crazy for a home office machine but I do work from here as well.

Why is it so hard to find something like this though? They literally dont make anything. Just make it wide enough to fit a good PSU, long enough to fit todays super long GPUs and then short because not everyone wants 10 drive bays. Even the case I got now can barely fit the GPU. I realize they werent this long even 2 years ago but cases need to catch up. I guess maybe the case would look stupid I just described, short, fat and long lol.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ended up going with the Antec 300. It looks like a really nice case and I found it for $60 with shipping. It doesnt have a PSU but I am looking at something else to solve that problem. I already have a PSU in this rig anyways. I also like the cooling the 300 has. Some of the other cases I was considering had a single 80mm fan. That doesnt sound good with so much gear in a case. This has the 140 and places for 120s all over. I have tons of extra 120s here so thats good as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.