AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyways, there are plenty of UPS's out there that, with the installation of software on the target pc, will parachute down the system to prevent data loss as the battery runs down it's charge during a power loss event. What I wonder is if there is any kind of UPS out there that is smart enough to do the same with a projector such that when it runs down it's charge to a certain point it then shuts down the projector so that only the cooling fans are running.

It would be nice to know that if i wasn't home and the power went out while the wifey or kids were watching a movie that the UPS would be able to gracefully power the device down, keeping the lamp below it's thermal limit until it was no longer in danger of failing. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi arjo,

I don't think what you want exists. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. It's usually safe to power off a projector without the cool down cycle. The issue is re-starting. Cool down cycles are primary intended to get the lamp to a safe temperature for re-starting. ( they also help preserve the electronics ) If you lose power without a cool down cycle, you'll have to wait quite a while for the lamp to naturally get back to a safe restart temp.

So, the advice to the wife and kids would be if you lose power, don't restart the projector immediately when the power comes back.

Jonathan

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
arjo I recall a few years back that Monster made such a thing, which included iirc an IR-output to turn AV stuff off automatically, just as w/PC UPSes that turn PCs off via their USB ports.

I see Monster still makes upses. Not sure if this particular one does what you want but give their product line a look:

http://www.smarthome.com/44318/Monst...pressor/p.aspx

BTW in the scenario you mention, when wifey and/or kids encounter a power failure, they will lose sound (you'd not want to put your amp-hungry power amplifier in a battery-backed outlet) so that should be their signal to power-down gracefully anyway!?

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan /forum/post/19574035

arjo I recall a few years back that Monster made such a thing, which included iirc an IR-output to turn AV stuff off automatically, just as w/PC UPSes that turn PCs off via their USB ports.

I see Monster still makes upses. Not sure if this particular one does what you want but give their product line a look:

http://www.smarthome.com/44318/Monst...pressor/p.aspx

BTW in the scenario you mention, when wifey and/or kids encounter a power failure, they will lose sound (you'd not want to put your amp-hungry power amplifier in a battery-backed outlet) so that should be their signal to power-down gracefully anyway!?

That's the one I have. I don't use it anymore. I'd sell it but I'm not sure the battery works. Not sure if you can get new batteries for them. I used this one for my Samsung DLP. It has an IR emitter that powers off the tv when the power goes out and lets the fan run. The only problem was if the power dimmed but didn't go out it would shut off the tv.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts