AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally solved my SPDIF issue. I am now able to use the onboard SPDIF on my SK41G. It is nice, DD and DTS work, as opposed to DD only on my ATI AIW Radeon 32MB card. WinDVD sees it no problem. Those with a wife will understand this though, she is really bothered by the optical cable sticking out of the front of the box. If Shuttle only included one on the back, that would have been cool. But since they didn't I need to figure it out.

Is there a way to get a TOSlink, or even coax digital output from the onboard SPDIF header on the FX41 motherboard, to the back of the Shuttle? I know there is a punch out for an optional parallel port, so has someone figured out a way to get it back there? I do see that the front ports are on a board with many components, but I bet it is for the in/out functionality. I really only need SPDIF out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone but I removed the circuit board panel that holds the SPDIF out plug and carefully cut the board to seperate the connector. I then ran it out the back of the case and voila! no more ugly cord. I loose the mic in on the front but why would I use that anyways?

Optionally, if you can find an SPDIF connector elsewhere you could look at the connection to the front port and figure out the pins on the motherboard connector.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by HK43
Why not buy a toslink transmitter and connect it in parallel to the existing one?
Would the toslink transmitter still require a cable to be connected in the front, or does it piggy back the connector inside the case?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kelmk
I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone but I removed the circuit board panel that holds the SPDIF out plug and carefully cut the board to seperate the connector. I then ran it out the back of the case and voila! no more ugly cord. I loose the mic in on the front but why would I use that anyways?

Optionally, if you can find an SPDIF connector elsewhere you could look at the connection to the front port and figure out the pins on the motherboard connector.
I do have a SPDIF bracket from an Asus P4B which has coax and TOSlink on it. I have the pin out, and it requires SPDIF out, Gnd, and +5.

The problem I have is the manual for the Shuttle FX41 doesn't show an explicit +5v pin, but simply a Vcc pin, and I don't know if Vcc is 3.3v or 5v. I guess if I could find out if Vcc is +5v, then I just would use the bracket until I had to install a PCI card. The rest of it would be fairly straight forward, and I would simply install the three wires from the Asus bracket in the existing cable, so my SPDIF out would be on the back, and the input would still remain on the front panel, assuming it could still function with no Vcc going to it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeepman
I do have a SPDIF bracket from an Asus P4B which has coax and TOSlink on it. I have the pin out, and it requires SPDIF out, Gnd, and +5.

The problem I have is the manual for the Shuttle FX41 doesn't show an explicit +5v pin, but simply a Vcc pin, and I don't know if Vcc is 3.3v or 5v. I guess if I could find out if Vcc is +5v, then I just would use the bracket until I had to install a PCI card.
What a coincidence, I had the exact same question (I also bought the ASUS SPDIF bracket to move the SPDIF output to the rear). I've been told that Vcc is +5V.

Since I have a H3D card in the PCI slot, I used a Dremel tool to modify the ASUS bracket to let me mount it with the connectors going through the parallel port punchout on the read of the case of my SB51G. This is pretty easy to do and you don't have to touch the case (besides punching out the parallel port cutout).

I haven't yet made a custom cable to connect it to the motherboard.

FYI, the Shuttle store sells a SPDIF input/output PCI bracket - see Shuttle Store - CA10 - SPDIF Card . It would be easier to use this one (it comes with the right cable), but I found this out after I already installed the ASUS bracket. Also, the cable that comes with Shuttle bracket doesn't look like it's long enough for the location where I have to mount the bracket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.