AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My receiver simply doesn't turn on anymore. I can only conclude this is due to overheating or damage from water. It happened at a party where someone dropped their drink and some liquid seeped through, so it seemed. It stopped right afterward. I opened it up and took a peek but didn't see any residue from the whiskey/coke combination. I realized overheating may have been the issue since a laptop was on top of the vents, and it may have coincidentally overheated right when the drink was spilled.


I know this is a vague description, but I was wondering if you guys could take a look at it and how much it could vary in repair. Does it sound like an easy fix, that is, to just replace a certain part? Like I said, it can't turn on at all. It may be a power supply problem, and I would hate to buy a new one if it only needs one part replaced.


I know it's probably a big list of potential problems, but could someone tell me the most likely situations? It seems hardly any liquid ever went into it, and so overheating feels like a better bet, even though it stopped right after the spill. The spill was only next to it and splashed onto the receiver. What could have overheated/shorted to make it so it won't turn on at all?


Thanks for your help in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's entry level, Pioneer VSX519V-K.


It's cheap but I mean, if I'm not ready to upgrade yet and wouldn't mind trying to salvage it. I'm just baffled that I can't see anything wrong with it from the inside. Everything looks perfectly fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,191 Posts
Take it in for repair, it has a 1 year warranty.


If they determine you spilled a drink in there (sugar residue or stickness) you probably wont be covered, but if something else went wrong maybe you'll get lucky and they'll fix it under warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well don't I need a receipt? I don't have one by the way, so that's the other issue. Then again, it's new enough to not need one, right? I'm unsure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Well, how about some of the obvious.


How long has it been since the liquid may have been spilled in the unit? 1 Day? 1 week?


Have you unplugged it for a while and run a fan on it to dry out any moisture? Either put a fan on the air vents for a few hours with the unit unplugged or a hair dryer on air dry only.


Try another outlet to plug the AC cord into? Did you trip a circuit breaker on a power strip or the house AC?


Have you looked online for a "Reset" option to reset the receiver back to factory default? This is from the recievers manual online...


Resetting the main unit

Use this procedure to reset all the receiver’s settings to the factory default. Use the front

panel controls to do this.

1 Switch the receiver into standby.

2 While holding down the BAND button,

press and hold the  STANDBY/ON button

for about two seconds.

3 When you see RESET? appear in the

display, press the ‘AUTO SURROUND/

STREAM DIRECT’ button.

OK? shows in the display.

4 Press ‘STEREO/A.L.C.’ to confirm.

OK appears in the display to indicate that the

receiver has been reset to the factory default

settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I accidentally lost the receipt in the process of moving. It may still be around but it'd be miles away in my home town.


It's been about 3-4 days. I've left it out for a while. I've plugged it in recently to check if it works. There was no moisture as far as I could tell though, even from day 1. I've tried another outlet too, but I haven't tried the reset button. I'll look into that. I tried looking for it but didn't find any results. Any help with what to google, exactly? Hrm.


Thanks for the input so far!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
If you opened it up to take a peek (as implied in your original post), you may have already voided the warranty.


NEVER EVER keep anything on top of the vents at least when the AVR is switched ON and working. (Just a bit of advice for the future)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannuge /forum/post/18207387


I accidentally lost the receipt in the process of moving. It may still be around but it'd be miles away in my home town.


It's been about 3-4 days. I've left it out for a while. I've plugged it in recently to check if it works. There was no moisture as far as I could tell though, even from day 1. I've tried another outlet too, but I haven't tried the reset button. I'll look into that. I tried looking for it but didn't find any results. Any help with what to google, exactly? Hrm.


Thanks for the input so far!

My guess is that the presence of liquid caused a short and "Something Went Wrong" (i.e. a capacitor blew, a resistor bailed out, a transistor took the short train to Lambeth, etc). So if you are lucky, you'll get it repaired under warranty if the tech doesn't notice "residue", otherwise you'll be charged for a board replacement.


It is possible to get things repaired under warranty without supplying a receipt: I got a Samsung TV-monitor repaired recently under warranty and was never asked for a copy of the receipt - either Samsung knew when I bought the TV through Amazon, or just assumed a valid purchase date since it was easily inside the warranty period even from first day of release of the product.


IMHO, YMMV,


shinksma
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't void the warranty since there was no sticker broken or anything like that. Anyway, yeah, I knew not to do that but wasn't thinking. ah, oh well.


I could still use help with finding a reset button too othough.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top