AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ot there loking forward to The Adventures of Robin Hood or The Treasure of the Sierra Madre? They release on 9/30/03. Does anyone know if the transfers will be as fine as the Casablanca SE?

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I'm definitely getting SIERRA MADRE. I'm pretty happy with my Laserdisc of ROBIN HOOD but might buy the DVD for the extras??? It's great to see the DVD format mature some and release more classics.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Treasure of the Sierra Madre is right up there in film lore with Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Maltese Falcon and holds its own with any other great film in history. The transfer is supposed to be as good as Casablanca along with an abundance of extras encompassing a special two-disk edition. I have waited a long, long time for this film to get its deserved place on my mantle and I will be rushing to my dealer for this one.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Put me on the list for Treasure of the Sierra Madre even though that was the FIRST laserdisc that I purchased when I started my collection. I have had the dvd on order since it was offered. Wonderful movie with excellent acting. As good as Walter Houston and Humphry Bogart were, I always thought that Tim Holt held his own and then some in that movie. Too bad that Alfonso Bedoya didn't get more work in the industry than he did. The only other movie of any renown that I remember him in was The Big Country (am I right ?) A fine character actor.

I will wait on Robin Hood and see how the reviews for video quality come in. I know it is a good film but I don't know if it will stand up to repeat viewings like TOSM will.

Regards, Ernie

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
"Robin Hood' in Industry standard and color original price of the 1938 movie $2 Million Dollars, I have also pre-ordered "Zorro" and "Laura" 1941 and 1944 respectively.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
TAORH is probably the most anticipated title of the fall to me-i was actually more excited about it than Indiana Jones.

unfortunately, it looks like the PQ is good, but not as breath-taking as Singin' in the Rain.

i expected it to be just as good if not better, so a 'little softer transfer' is a bit of a disappointment to me.

i'm sure it will still look very nice, i was just expecting spectacular.

i'll pick up the other two eventually.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jfischer
But where's "Robin Hood: Men in Tights"? :)

I love that movie, and my LD copy isn't all that great.
It seems like the DVD format hasn't been good to Mel and his movies...

·
Registered
24,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ckolchak
TAORH is probably the most anticipated title of the fall to me-i was actually more excited about it than Indiana Jones.

unfortunately, it looks like the PQ is good, but not as breath-taking as Singin' in the Rain.

i expected it to be just as good if not better, so a 'little softer transfer' is a bit of a disappointment to me.

i'm sure it will still look very nice, i was just expecting spectacular.

i'll pick up the other two eventually.
Have you seen TAORH on DVD or read a review I could go to regarding the PQ? Thanks !

Art

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
yes a couple places so far have reivews up for it

here's a quote from the dvdauthority.com review;

Quote:
Warner raised the bar with their catalog title releases in terms of picture quality with their release of “Singin’ in the Rain†last year back. I can remember how impressed I was (and still am) at the way it was presented on screen. So it was with great hope that I was expected even better things out of this first Technicolor release. Now I may catch some feedback for this, but I was really kind of let down. Now don’t get me wrong, for a movie of this age the picture does look stunning in all it’s full-frame glory, but I don’t feel that it packed the same punch that “Singin…†did.
the other review i've seen also says while its is a very nice transfer overall, its not spectacular.

·
Registered
24,920 Posts
Thanks. The disappointment is that this is what we will get perhaps for many years. I should probably be happy that we are seeing it at all. The demographics of the buyers of DVDs may dictate that many older films just aren't going to show up. I think when I compare LD releases to what we are getting on DVD ( titles) I have to remember that we are approaching a quarter century since the beginning of LD so some titles were old then but not ancient compared to the possible age of those buying.

Art

·
Registered
512 Posts
Definitely will order Treasure of Sierra Madre right off the bat and perhaps Robin Hood down the line. I do expect the transfer to be excellent. Also, there was a third film in a three pack they'll be offering with these two, but I can't remember what it was. Sorry if I missed it in a previous post on this thread.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The third in the trilogy release is Yankee Doody Dandy with James Cagney. I am a bit hazy, but I think with the trilogy will come cartoons from the olden days of filmdom. Unlike most here, I'm old enough to remember when they used to show cartoons before pictures. Of course, I'm old enough to remember when admission and popcorn were a quarter, when all gas was full serve and 27 cents a gallon (with blue chip stamps and things like silverware), when TV's were only black and white, when...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'll certainly be going for the seven disk "Warner Legends Collection" which includes the three films already mentioned and the retrospective from a few years back called "Here's Looking at You, Warner Bros." (supposed to have been quite an entertaining look back).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846
http://amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0102027/*ASIN=B0000AJX6K

Funny, just noticed that Amazon calls it a two-disk special edition...containing seven disks! My understanding was that it would have everything that was on each of the three movies' own two disk SE's plus the extra "Here's Looking..." so I'm expecting seven disks. The "two disk" better be a typo.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ckolchak
Agree. I'll take it even without the Singing in the Rain quality pristineness. Will be interesting to compare to my LD.

Tim

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not sure if it is a typo, but each movie is a two disk set; maybe that's what they were refering to.

Mark

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.