AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night CBSHD stopped working on my 5000. HBO and SHO work fine. Anyone else have anything like this on a 5000 or 6000 happen?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Same here.

On my 5000 I get a screen that reads: "ERROR 002" at the top and then some text stating that the signal has been lost. No problems with HBO, SHO, or the demo and shopping channels on 148. I only have the one dish pointing at 148 in my set-up and have been getting CBSHD from the start. It's late, so I'll try calling them in the morning.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spent 4 hours on the phone with support yesterday. I tried a spare 5000 I had. I tried another modulator, etc. I was told he had seen this issue on the 6000's and they had no idea how to fix yet. They are going to do an RMA for replacement to try this now. But the darn CBS is down. Let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just got off the phone with Dish. They are going to send me a replacement smart card.

h20fun, Does your error screen say: Satellite 148 Transponder 313 ?

It seems that maybe the channel mapping is screwed up, and it is trying to tune a non-existent transponder.

I'd like to hear from someone else who has a Dish 5000 who IS currently receiving CBSHD from the 148 satellite, just to confirm that this is not a common problem.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, says just what you said. I tried another unit and it did the same thing. Keep in touch about what you find.

So what transponder does yours show that still has CBSHD working off the 148 bird?

It sounded like they really had no idea what was going on.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Same Problem. Transponder 313! I have 61.5 and 148 through an SW21. 61.5 works fine.

Dish claims "that channel module in my receiver is bad". So much for that. I was about to swap SW21s and move to the unused side of the dual LNB. Looks like the problams not with me.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Just got off the phone with advanced tech support. Here is the report:

1) Yes, they are quite aware of this problem.

2) It's only with 5000s.

3) It's not just with CBSHDw, problems are also on CBSHDe for some boxes.

4) It was caused by a software upgrade, a forced one, not the kind your option switch can block.

5) RMA with 5000s are possible BUT there is a 10% chance the unit sitting in inventory will have the same problem.

6) This is not a major issue to them, they just had 60% of their customers unable to order PPV on any receiver. Took 30 days to fix.

7) This may never be fixed, in that they won't spend the time to do it.

8) This tech has RMAed one 5000 in his entire three year career and that was a lightning hit. In the past day he has RMAed seven units.

As a broadcast engineer myself I fully understand the complexity of this problem. I realize it won't be fixed overnight, in a well managed company not until sometime next week. What I have a problem with is the indifference. It was inferred they may just ignore it.

Lets give them a reasonable chance, then hound them. Like I said to this guy, who by the way was very informative and it really isn't his fault, I am not asking for an Anthrax vaccine. I am not asking for a promissed feature on a product to be delivered. I am asking for working version of software to be restored or the latest version corrected in a timly manner. My 5000 was receiving CBDHDw, you broke it on that channel, now fix it.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If they did a forced install with bad code, why cant they resend the old code until they fix it. Seems dumb for everyone to send units back when thats probably not the issue. Anyone ask why they just dont resend the old code?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
I don't think it's the code in the receiver. They changed something in the transport stream that some 5000s don't like.

I got into this again today figuring now with a shift change, we may get some answers. As expected more conflicitng information. The advanced tech today told me they cannot force a download if you have your option set not to allow it. If it's an ECM measure, your box will simply shut off and not operate until you except the update. We checked my software rev and it was 673, way old. This however supports his claim that they cannot force upgrades. So I enabled upgrades and got 743 - same problem. So I gave in and orderd a RMA. I figure let's get it working and argue about payment later.

One thing I did notice is the Bootstrap version does not ever change. Typically the Bootstrap is code that initializes the box and manages the low level functions. The same as the BIOS chip in a PC. If what ever they did is not compatable with certain bootstrap versions, then an RMA is the only choice as it needs to be upgraded. You really don't want to download that code because a glitch would render the box dead, probably why they don't do it.

But if this is the case, then I still think this a a liability for them and the RMA should be N/C. If the need to make changes that call for new firmware in the boxes, they should eat that, not us.

I did FINALLY manage to get this issue esculated into engineering, or at least they told me it would be on Monday. If noting else at least they are on notice to be more careful in the future with updates.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The new DISH 6000 system I ordered from DISH DEPOT.com won't have this problem when I hook it up this weeek, will it? :confused:

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had them try the cdshd e and then back to cbshd w. No change.

I was told they have lots of calls and engineering is working on it.

Will see. Lets keep the pressure on . This is nuts. Everyone who doesnt work anymore, call and complain

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Boecker
But advanced tech support did tell me they had this exact problem with 6000s a few weeks ago. perhaps the 6000 fix screwed up the 5000s.

If you have a 6000 however, I would not worry. This is a current product and unfortunatly will get more attention to bugs than the 5000s will ever see.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
I had them try the cdshd e and then back to cbshd w. No change.

I was told they have lots of calls and engineering is working on it.

Will see. Lets keep the pressure on . This is nuts. Everyone who doesnt work anymore, call and complain
Yeah, I saw that idea over on DBS forums too and I had my CBS de-authorized then re-applied. No change. I have both CBS-HDe and BCS-HDw. East on 61.5 works fine.

I am fairly convinced this problem can't be fixed at home by any combination of switch manipulation either. I tried it all!

·
Registered
328 Posts
On Sunday, Nov 4 I spent six plus hours trying to trouble shoot this problem with Dish Advanced Tech Support people. All said they had no similar complaints about losing only channel 9454, CBSHD LA on a 5000 receiver.

Their resolution was to get me to buy a replacement 5000 receiver for $70 on a trade in basis. It sounds like that, unless there is a hardware fix in the replacement 5000 will not work for long.

At the moment (1145 AM PST Nov 5) I am on the phone with Dish Advanced Tech support with a tech who does not believe that anyone else is having the same problem. I asked him to talk to his supvr and gave him the url to this forum to check it for himself.

Bill Wood

Barstow CA

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was on the phone with the HD techs yesterday and he said they have had lots of people with the problem!!!

This is nuts. Fix it

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Just call everyday and ask for an update. Refuse to even discuss this with standard support people and insist they transfer you to advanced suupport. I got the same response today which is a good thing. At least they are now admitting there is a problem.

I was also told today that the refurb unit will probably not work either.

If you can't get 61.5 make them aware of that. They know I can and have already used that fact to cool my jets. But for those of you that can't, you have more ammunition than me.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Jason of the Dish Advanced Tech Support section called to let me know that action had been taken to correct the channel 9454 (CBSHD West) problem with 5000 receivers.

I just checked and it is now working on my 5000.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.