AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to dive into the world of Linux for the first time and I am confused by the plethora of downloads out there. I was going through the list on the sticky threads about the free apps for your HTPC and there are so many that my head is spinning. Let's say I just put together a HTPC and was starting from scratch. I know I need to download Linux Ubuntu right? Then I install that and go find the drivers for my hardware, and hope they have Linux drivers. Then what? I am assuming I need to get an internet browser unless it is packaged with it like IE is with Vista right? So does anyone have a list of what you need from the beginning? I just downloaded XBMC for windows so I can play around with it on this computer before I do the HTPC install.

So here's what I'd like to see, and I know everyone has different preferences for the programs, but here goes:

1. Download Linux whatever you call it that will take up the least amount of space and be quickest to load when you turn it on.

2. Download__________ to do ________.

3. Download __________ to organize your DVD and CD collection by DVD cover with movie data and description.

4. Download ________ to make everything work from your remote and you don't need a keyboard.

5. Download __________ to do ________.

6. Insert all of your movies and ________ will auto-rip them to storage and find all the data for the movie.

7. I am a _______ for asking questions like this and you want to ______ me and my family.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm sure this could apply to Windows users as well, though with the wide variety of solutions folks here have come up with it may not really be practical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts