AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some ground loop problems that I haven't been able to solve with typical grounding practices. The result is a faint hum bar from my projector.

The source appears to be from the input from my Satellite antenna since the hum bar dissappears when I remove this cable from my satellite receiver. I can't use a coax cable ground loop isolator since it won't pass DC back to the satellite dish.

So, I would like to put an isolator between my projector and my component video switcher. Does such a device exist ? It would be nice to find an isoloator that used either RCA component cable connections or HD 15-pin connectors.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can you point me in the direction of a satellite cable ground loop isolator?

After some additional searching, I came across this . product. It's not exactly what I'm looking for but seems on the right track - for a video feed isolator.

I don't have any audio 60Hz hum. Only the video hum bar. I have an isolator on the off-air-antenna input to my HD satellite receiver. So, if I could find a way to isolate the satellite input, I think I'd be set

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
there are NUMEROUS video Ground loop isolators out there. THe cost depends allot on the format you need. (Composite, S, RGBHV etc)

EXTRON

Allen Avionics

And others i cannot think of (blank brain syndrome)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes ! $510 for the Jensen ISO-MAX. I think I can tolerate some video hum.

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
As a further note, if you want a simple method to try to reduce things, put in a video cable that is more heavy duty and also a Power cable that is more heavy duty.

In systems where there is a ground loop, the act of using cable that is thicker (more copper) will create less overall resistance and reduce ground loops. in a case where you have a faint one, it may remove it. as an experiment if you have a small hum, replace one of your cables with a thinner (wimpier) cable (power or Video) and watch the hum get worse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.