AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Not yet, but I'm going to do some exploration this week or next. I'm still on 0.21 and SAF (Spousal Approval Factor) is suffering from the long-standing digital audio glitch. Just saw a note from the developer that re-did the digital audio that he also runs under Mac OS X. I'd like some more specifics from him, but maybe I should just take the plunge...

Craig

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Still terrible in my opinion. You can search for a thread I made in the past with prior versions. PQ (or lack of) is the same from what I see unless I'm doing something wrong.

The Windows frontend on the otherhand has come quite a long way.

-Trouble

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went ahead and install 0.24 on both my Mac and Linux systems (I have a Linux backend, and a Atom/Ion Linux frontend I use in parallel with my Mac Mini).

The Mac version of the frontend is still a bit sketchy for me. 1080i video looks quite good, but I continue to have problems with 720p channels. The video drops frames all over the place, so the video looks very choppy -- especially with sports content. If anything, 0.24 made the 720p problems worse.

On my Linux frontend, which is an Atom processor on an Nvidia Ion platform supporting VDPAU acceleration, 0.24 seems to work quite well. While it might be a bit less responsive than 0.23, the video performance is slightly better.

It looks like I'll continue to switch over to my Linux box for much of my MythTV viewing, and use the Mac for everything else.

I'm hoping the ongoing XBMC / Plex projects to integrate MythTV DVR backend support with their frontend will pan out eventually.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just upgraded my old 1.66 core duo mac mini to the 2010 2.4 GHz aluminum mini. At the same time I decided to finally upgrade my MythTV backend and frontend to .24. I too am noticing severe issues when I have the display pref in OS X outputting to 1080p.

When I drop it down to 720p it's at least watchable, but still has noticeable hiccups. I've tried every playback profile and even though the responsiveness of the in-video UI (skip forward/back pause, etc) takes a severe hit (waiting 2-3 seconds for it to respond), the "High Quality" profile seems to playback content the best.

I've only got the standard 2GB RAM in there, I'm wondering if upping that will help as the VDPAU options were very disappointing.

At this point my old mini running .23 (in 720p mode) seems to out perform it's successor. If you guys have found a solution and can lend me (and it looks like tji) a hand it would be greatly appreciated.

ty|er.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyce
...2010 2.4 GHz aluminum mini ... upgrade my MythTV backend and frontend to .24. ... responsiveness of the in-video UI (skip forward/back pause, etc) takes a severe hit ...
Where did your apps come from? Did you compile them yourself? I've been messing around building the 0.24-fixes branch. The first go-rounds, I did NOT have the Yasm assembler installed. The on screen display was exceedingly slow. Later, I got yasm installed and re-built. The later builds are much more responsive. On my 1.66 Core Duo, I think the .24-fixes is better than .21 that I've been using for the past couple of years. This is on a 1280X1024 screen with a mix of 1080i and 720p OTA recordings.

Craig

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvr4Craig /forum/post/19784527

Where did your apps come from? Did you compile them yourself? I've been messing around building the 0.24-fixes branch. The first go-rounds, I did NOT have the Yasm assembler installed. The on screen display was exceedingly slow. Later, I got yasm installed and re-built. The later builds are much more responsive.

Craig

I haven't compiled them myself yet, I am just using the official dmg's from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/

Do you have a compile you like that you wouldn't mind sharing with me to try out?

Thanks,

·
Registered
465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyce /forum/post/19784772

I haven't compiled them myself yet, I am just using the official dmg's from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/

Do you have a compile you like that you wouldn't mind sharing with me to try out?

That SourceForge group isn't 'official'. There was a small flurry of activity in Nov/Dec and little (nothing?) since. I think Brian Sutton is leading that charge. You could try pinging him. I asked about contributing but didn't get an answer.

The binaries are pretty hefty compared to my upload capacity. The .24 frontend weighs in between 115 and 200 MB depending on the plugins and themes included. I've only got about 600 kbps upload so sending the app will take ~30 minutes. I've uploaded builds to thesniderpad in the past but Dave seems to have lost interest.

Nonetheless, tell me what you are interested in and I'll see if I can do it. I'd suggest MythGallery, MythWeather, MythVideo, MythNews and MythBrowser for plugins. Maybe MythMusic, if you're not using iTunes.

Craig

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvr4Craig /forum/post/19785093

Nonetheless, tell me what you are interested in and I'll see if I can do it.

Craig

I've compiled packages in unix/linux for years, so before I max out your Internet pipe, I'll give it whirl myself. Do you know of any good tutorials/walkthrus on compiling myth in OS X? I've done some google searches on my end and have come up strangely empty.

thanks again.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyce /forum/post/19785584

I've compiled packages in unix/linux for years, so before I max out your Internet pipe, I'll give it whirl myself. Do you know of any good tutorials/walkthrus on compiling myth in OS X?

There is a perl script that automates the process of downloading, building and installing most of the pre-requisites and then downloading and building Myth. The timing could be better, however, since Myth just recently moved from using SVN to Git for souce code control. The developer handling the Mac port (Nigel) has created a private branch to test changes to the script. You can get a copy here:

https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/...sx-packager.pl

You'll want to have a look at the MythTV wiki. At least:
MythTV on Mac OS X
MythTV on Mac OSX build

Presuming you have XCode installed, if you download and execute the script, it ought to trundle along for a number of hours and spit out a shiny new app just begging to be double-clicked. Or fall over in a heap. There are quite a few dependencies and if a version number has changed or web site isn't reachable *right now*, it'll die. Have no fear. Fire it up again and it will re-use the successfully built bits and carry on.

You probably should subscribe to the MythTV-users list, as well. There are a number of Mac users that can help you out.

Craig

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks again Craig, I played with it over the weekend before seeing your response and was getting frustrated making changes to the svn/git sections of the script. That private repo link you sent me just saved a few more hours of tinkering. Hopefully I'll have a 'better' working package to test out when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Craig,

I'm having the same issue I'm guessing you had in this thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...v/users/462998

(If that's a different Craig, my apologies up front)

How did you get the compile to finally see pkg-config and yasm? I've got both installed:

jericho:myth_build tyce$ which yasm

/opt/local/bin/yasm

jericho:myth_build tyce$ which pkg-config

/opt/local/bin/pkg-config

Thanks again.

UPDATE: Just found a link with the osx-packager.pl -clean command. I think that was the issue, going to try again.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyce /forum/post/19808796

I'm having the same issue I'm guessing you had in this thread:

How did you get the compile to finally see pkg-config and yasm? I've got both installed:

jericho:myth_build tyce$ which yasm

/opt/local/bin/yasm

Hi:

Yes, that's me. I later found out that MythNetVision has really only been tested on Linux and isn't supported on Mac OS X or Windows.

Looks like you've installed yasm and pkg-config from MacPorts (ie in /opt/local/bin/ ). You have to munge the paths that osx-packager.pl uses so that this stuff can be found. I've never had much success making that work so I resorted to installing yasm 'by hand'. I'm told pkg-config is optional and isn't worth worrying about.

BTW, osx-packager.pl was modified in just the last day or so to download and build yasm if it isn't found.

All that said, I can't get a '-getrev fixes/0.24' build to work either!! I've been mucking around trying to enable one of the visualizers in MythMusic (fftw). I think I'm going to have to blow away my development environment and build from scratch. If I can get some time to set it up, I think I'll kick it off before bed tonight...

Craig

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just grabbed the osx-packager.pl script yesterday afternoon which looks to still be most recent. The -clean option errored out on me as well, so I nuked my build directories and started over. I think the problem was that the first build I did, I did without having the firewire sdk installed and possibly yasm installed. I also didn't have qt4-mac installed off MacPorts.

I'm hoping that this time a clean install will do the trick with everything installed. I'll let you know what I find out in ~5 hours (guestimate at build time)

I'm really surprised that no one has uploaded a 'good' build to the sourceforge repos, seems like this is a big enough issue that we can't be the only ones effected by it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got rid of the yasm/pkg-config complaints by symlinking them to their "standard" locations:

Code:
Code:
sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/pkg-config /usr/bin/pkg-config
  sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/yasm /usr/bin/yasm
it's still failing however with the same symbols not found:

Code:
Code:
ld: symbol(s) not found
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
  make[2]: *** [libmythtv-0.24.0.24.0.dylib] Error 1
  make[1]: *** [sub-libmythtv-make_default] Error 2
  make: *** [libs] Error 2
  [osx-pkg] Failed system call: " /usr/bin/make -j3 " with error code 2
  Died at ./osx-packager.pl line 934.
I'm also perplexed as to why I'm seeing this:

Code:
Code:
[osx-pkg] OS is 64bit. Disabling 64bit for this build...
  [osx-pkg] Forcing 32-bit mode
Funny that it recognizes the 64bit proc but then takes it upon itself to disable the 64 bit build.

At any rate, I hope you get further then me tonight, good luck.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyce /forum/post/19810835

Code:
Code:
ld: symbol(s) not found
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
  make[2]: *** [libmythtv-0.24.0.24.0.dylib] Error 1
  make[1]: *** [sub-libmythtv-make_default] Error 2
  make: *** [libs] Error 2
  [osx-pkg] Failed system call: " /usr/bin/make -j3 " with error code 2
  Died at ./osx-packager.pl line 934.

That looks like it is building the latest source code (which doesn't currently link), instead of the working 0.24 branch?

Try osx-packager --gitrev fixes/0.24

Quote:
I'm also perplexed as to why I'm seeing this:

Code:
Code:
[osx-pkg] OS is 64bit. Disabling 64bit for this build...
  [osx-pkg] Forcing 32-bit mode
Funny that it recognizes the 64bit proc but then takes it upon itself to disable the 64 bit build.

There is a reason for it, but very few apps can make use of more than 2GB RAM, MythTV included :)

From memory, Qt would only build as 32bit, and that clashed with a 64bit MythTV.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nigel,

First off, thanks for chiming in, in here.

The command I've been running is:

Code:
Code:
sudo ./osx-packager.pl -gitrev fixes/0.24 -plugins mythmusic,mythvideo,mythweather,opengl,exif,new-exif -verbose 2>&1 | tee build_log
Don't know why it isn't using the right repo, I'm telling it to.

Thanks for the info on 64 bit apps... kind of a bummer it isn't working in 64 yet. I wonder then if maybe my problem is that I need to add -m32 to new-exif. I'll give that a whirl today and see if I get any further.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyce /forum/post/19815078

The command I've been running is:

Code:
Code:
sudo ./osx-packager.pl -gitrev fixes/0.24 -plugins mythmusic,mythvideo,mythweather,opengl,exif,new-exif -verbose 2>&1 | tee build_log

Why the 'sudo' prefix? Has always run OK for me without that.

Did you get a successful build?

Craig

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used sudo because it was giving me permission denied messages on something in the beginning (can't remember what exactly), sudo was the lazy (read: quick) fix.

I still have yet to finish a successful build. It's actually made the 2 .app files, but the compile still errors out.

Nigel, Have you created a successful build with yasm compiled in? If so, can you update the sourceforge repo with it, or put it some place I can get at? If you need a location let me know, I can host it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts