AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded to an 80 gig 5400 rpm. I took off the EZ-BAKE cover and so far the unit gets very warm...but not burning hot...I'd prefer not to put a fan in because I hate the noise..hence my purchase of the quiet seagate drive...I was wondering is anyone running the unit without the fan successfully. Thanks

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I expect most single drive upgrades are running without fans. Don't worry about it. It isn't any worse now (heat wise) than the way the unit shipped from the factory.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm sure some are with just a single 5400RPM drive upgrade.

Most with a dual drive upgrade or 7200 RPM drive install a fan.

If your concerned about noise try a quiet fan like a Panaflo. Either get a variable resistor, or try different resistors in line with the fan to suit your tastes for the noise level, and cooling effectiveness.

I installed an offbrand 92 mm, 32 dba fan, and installed a resistor to cut the fan back to approx 60% of normal voltage. The unit is in a cabinet, and I can barely hear it running if I have everything turned off. The temperature over the power supply on the left, top of the unit dropped from 104 to 87 degrees after the fan install. I'm much more comfortable about my unwarranted SS by having a fan to cool it.

I guess the Replay people are cool about the unit running at 104, but 87 sounds a lot better to me. Most will agree that heat is a major enemy of hard drives, and electronics.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mossie
...I guess the Replay people are cool about the unit running at 104, but 87 sounds a lot better to me. Most will agree that heat is a major enemy of hard drives, and electronics.
I'll second that one... I still like to use a fan anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.