AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying the Toshiba SD3755 Progressive-Scan 5-Disc DVD/CD Changer with MP3/DVD-R Playback.

I own a Toshiba CZ32V51 color television with "ColorStream" component video in. Now, this set is a few years old and isn't marketed as digital ready. I can't even find in the specs what resolution the set offers in component-video-in mode.

I'd love it if this set could handle the DVD player's progressive video output. However, in case it can't, I want to find out what other output options the DVD player has.

I've seen the companion single-disc player (SD3750) in the stores, and it has a switch on the back, next to the component outputs, labeled "P-I". I assume this means the outputs can be switched between progressive and interlaced.

Now, who can tell me whether the SD3755 has the same option?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'd be surprised if the 3755 doesn't have the same P-I (progressive/interlaced output) switch. By the way, the switch means something subtly different than what it sounds like. In the P position, the output can be progressive OR interlaced, selectable via the remote. In the I position it's interlaced only.

I don't know your TV but it sounds very likely that it's not progressive compatible though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose that raises the question of whether a TV can be harmed by connecting a progressive component signal it isn't capable of receiving. I would doubt it, but wouldn't mind confirmation.

Anyone have the SD3755 able to say for sure it has interlaced output THROUGH THE COMPONENT OUTPUTS?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Your TV will not be harmed by attempting to pass the progressive signal through it's "interlaced only" component inputs. It will just be a scrambled picture.

The 3755 does pass either progressive or interlaced through it's component outputs.

Petey

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.