Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking very hard at the RX-V2500 and 4600's from Yamaha,

Does anyone presently have either & if so, any pros/cons of the receiver? This will be the driver of my HT, filling a relatively small room (13'x22'x7'8"). Both have enough power. Is it worth upgrading to the 4600 over the 2500?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I don't have either one, but I've seen both. The 4600 is much sharper looking and has a revised appearance when compared to the 2500. My guess is that the 1600/2600 will get facade revisions, too.

As far as a better breakdown in features, performance, etc., I thought Audioholics did a great job of presenting this in their review of the 4600.

If it were my $$, I'd go for the 4600.

·
Premium Member
13,594 Posts
I know you've seen my thread about the 4600 receiver. Since my last post in that thread, I've played with the YPAO and it is very easy to use. However, I rejected several of the YPAO settings, preferring my own manually entered settings. It got the speakers distances correct, except for the sub. It had the sub at 22' away. I reset it to 12.5'. It set my L/C/R speakers to Large and crossover to 90 Hz. I reset them to Small and crossover to 60 Hz. It set my sub level to -5. I reset it to -2. Since the EQ only works from 62.5 Hz up, and I have the sub crossed-over at 60 Hz, I used Avia to set the level of the sub. After resetting these parameters, I re-ran the EQ and got a curve that was as flat as previous. However, my sub sounded much more powerful and better integrated.

The receiver has ample power for my room, (26' x 15.6' x 8') and my speakers, (Klipsch Reference Series). The GUI is very nice and much better than other Yamaha receivers I've used. It's also easier to use and sounds better than the Onkyo TX-NR901 I replaced. The ONLY downside so far is the HDMI switching problem I have with my Scientific Atlanta SA8300HD DVR. See my Yamaha 4600 thread for a description of this problem.

I have no experience with the other Yamaha receiver you reference, but I can say that I am pleased with the 4600.

Craig

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.