AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if so, i've got a couple questions for ya, if you're inclined to answer. Specifically, i'm wondering about mp3 support on this player.

Now, i did check Onkyo's website, but the only tidbit I was able to find out about this player's mp3 support was this:

"The DV-S555 will display MP3 filenames on your TV screen, and you can program a play list of up to 60 songs from the same disc"

I'd like to know a little more...specifically:

#1. How is the sound quality? I know this depends on how the MP3 was recorded, but would you say there's a 'minimum bitrate' at which is sounds good/acceptable on your player?

#2. I know it shows the MP3 filename onscreen. Is it also able to display the ID3 tag? Do they get 'cut-off' after so many characters (how many)?

#3. Can you FFWD or REW through a single MP3?

#4. Can you skip to a particular MP3, just like you can skip to/over a particular track on a CD?

#5. Does the player support 'random play' of an MP3 disc?

#6. any other helpful comments?

thanks so much.

-hud

·
Registered
15 Posts
I reviewed this player months ago. Onkyo gave this player very surprising analog audio output ability for an entry class DVD player. It sounds like the CD players at this price range like CEC 3100 though Onkyo has a bit of lean mid and less opened highs. Nice player. Presicely a nice CD player. You'll get good quality of MP3 play back but I have no idea about detailed function about MP3 'cause I'm not interested in MP3 at all yet. It's CD sounds are good enough to expect nice MP3 play back encoded at reasonable bit rate, I guess.

As a video stuff, DV-S555 fails to match other Onkyo siblings. There are so many players steping up on video side at this price range. If you're looking for a CDP with MP3 compatibility, it's yours. DVD with nice video and MP3? Go elsewhere!^^

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
I was offered this one, but I went with the DV-535 in the end.

It was slightly cheaper and I'm not such a fan of MP3 (not on my nome theater anyway :) )

The only benefit I was able to learn about, with comparison to the 535, was that the multizone 555 finally does away with RCE problems - i.e., it works correctly (I have to use the RCE bypass tricks...).

Ofer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.