AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havn't seen much feedback on the iScan Ultra. Does anyone have experience with the Ultra. How is the unit? How is the aspect ratio control? How is the picture? Any general feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have one. I use it with a dvd player and a VCR. My dvd player is a Mitsubishi progressive dvd (Toshiba 3800 clone). The picture is a bit sharper using the iscan over the dvd player's own progressive chip. I also use the chroma filter through the iscan and it helps. I also seem to get a bit better black level using the Iscan Ultra too.

I haven't played too much with the aspect ratio, so I don't feel like I can properly comment on it. I could not get non-anamorphic dvd's to scale properly, but 4:3 material is properly scaled to fit a 16x9 panel.

Also, the VCR looks as good as expected for vhs.

The bad: The remote is not backlit, so it's hard to see in the dark. It also feels a bit chintzy.

Also, I may detect a bit more noise in the picture using the Iscan Ultra too, but the sharpness and the colors seem to be better than the progressive signal from the player itself.

Overall, I think the Ultra is a good product. I have only had the Ultra for about 2 weeks or so and have not had extensive time with it. I am not disappointed by my purchase at all though.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
To SKprowski and samharding, how well does the iScan Ultra handle football games, especially relative to the iScan Pro? I have an iScan Pro right now, and my only complaint is that when I watch football games on TV (DSS), many times the lines across the field are jittery . . . does the Ultra do much for this vis-a-vis the Pro?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
anyone ?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
I could not get non-anamorphic dvd's to scale properly, but 4:3 material is properly scaled to fit a 16x9 panel.
Can you explain what you mean?

My sole reason for looking at the Iscan Ultra is the scaling. What I want to do is this: be able to view 2.35:1 letterbox laserdiscs like STAR WARS on my Panasonic 47inch HDTV, which forces all Progressive Signals (480p) into FULL/16X9 mode.

Are you saying that the Iscan Ultra will not do that properly? If so, what does it do instead?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Bump

·
Registered
772 Posts
it can definitely scale non-anamorphics to fill 16x9 (letterbox mode).

what it also does is offer the new chip (Sil-504 used in the CS1)) that is excellent and performs well enough that it is used in denon's flagship dvd player, the DVD-9000, which is like $3k... this chip isn't a slouch- it's used even in some camelot dvd players.

a user can adjust brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, sharpness, Y/C delay and activate the chroma filter to minimize color problems related to DVD players with the chroma bug in the MPEG decoder.

It also has a pass-through mode for the video coming from the input VGA connector and nice dvi-d output. Analog video is converted to the digital domain using four 9-bit analog-to-digital converters sampling at 27MHz (twice the standard sampling rate).

the output is sent to an Analog Devices ADV7301A chip with 12-bit video DACs for the VGA output, and to Silicon Image's SiI 164 PanelLink chip for the DVI output.

it might not be the best of the best, but then again, it does not command the price of the best of the best... thinking about hooking it up to a pio 503cmx via dvi-d...

owners, is it better than the pro because of its deinterlacing or its added features such as scaling, remote, et. al?

MMAfia

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.