AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up the game. Haven't played it yet, but I hear it's awesome and has been getting good reviews. Anyone have it? If so, how is it?

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
I don't speak Japanesey.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
I heard about it from Penny Arcade, Gabe said it's a must play and that means a lot in my book. Unfortunately I'm saving my money for next-gen so I'm done buying current gen games.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just started playing yesterday. Great game, beautiful graphics (the upscaling does a great job!) and a really interesting story line. I recommend it if you enjoy RPGs.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
I don't speak Japanesey.

*Looks at third pic*

Anyway, I started playing the game. Beautiful game.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ro /forum/post/0

I just started playing yesterday. Great game, beautiful graphics (the upscaling does a great job!) and a really interesting story line. I recommend it if you enjoy RPGs.

GameTrailers reviewers said that the game takes about 8-9 hours to complete the game per character...and there's about 5 characters to play?

Pretty long game for something that seems like a 2d fighter.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It's not turn based.

It's a 2D/3D side scrolling action RPG. If you have ever played Princess Crown on the Sega Saturn this is in exactly the same style.

I will be playing it this weekend. The only reviewer complaints have been loading times and constant slowdown in heavy battles

·
Banned
13,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon37 /forum/post/0

It's not turn based.

It's a 2D/3D side scrolling action RPG. If you have ever played Princess Crown on the Sega Saturn this is in exactly the same style.

I will be playing it this weekend. The only reviewer complaints have been loading times and constant slowdown in heavy battles

ok, thanks for the correction. I wasn't quite sure in the video. Action RPG's I can dig. Maybe when the price drops I'll check it out. Those 2D graphics rock!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's only $39.99. Good deal if you ask me, especially for an Atlus game.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Man this thing can get hard at times. I'll admit I haven't played it more than a couple of hours, but its still kicking my ass. I don't like how few items you can carry/equip. I do like the challenge... most of the time. I haven't had this much fun getting my ass handed to me in a while.

-Sean

·
Registered
121 Posts
Got the game, just haven't tried it out yet. Too bad I can't play it on my JP PS3... dumb DVD/PS2 region stuff. Would be cool to see how well the upscaling looks.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badahab /forum/post/0

I don't like how few items you can carry/equip.

That's annoying at first but then you realize that unlike every other RPG out there the developers actually intended the player to be constantly using items in this game instead of hording them for later and worrying about if they just wasted an item after using it. It's pretty cool, I'll be dipping into the next-gen fund shortly to pick it up. If nothing else you've gotta love a game that lets you grow a sheep tree, then eat the sheep.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Great game, my only complaint is the framerate is almost unplayable if there are too many enemies or if too much is going on at once. The main boss battles pretty much turn into a button mashing fest since you have to throw strategy out the window due to the framerate. That aside, I really like how the story is told, 5 different stories with each filling in the plot from a different angle. Just started the third book myself.

You can basically play the game forever as well since you can go back and replay each book over and over with your stats carrying over from the rest. Not to mention the fact that once you learn a recipe you can use it in another book. Really curious how those chapters at the bottom which are seperate will be handled. Hope they just get tacked onto the end of each book instead of being seperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badahab /forum/post/0

I don't like how few items you can carry/equip. I do like the challenge... most of the time.

Well you can purchase 4 more bags (other than the 2 large bags you start with). There are a 3, 5, 6, and 8 slot bags i believe (i know 8 is the largest), even with 48 slots my inventory gets kind of full if i don't drop seeds or combine potions every once in awhile.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Every gaming site has been raving about this game for a couple weeks. I think the game looks beautiful. I just have a feeling that if I'd buy it, I wouldn't like it. I may rent it some time.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm most of the way through the second character's story, and I must say I'm really enjoying the game overall. The inventory limit feels a bit confining, even with 6 bags...but this just forces you to make efficient use of your items. And once you figure out the particulars of the alchemy system, the game just gets that much deeper.

I've only encountered bad slowdown in one boss fight so far, but I didn't feel like it threw me off my game or anything. I think that complaint has been blown completely out of proportion, unless things change drastically with the later characters.

15 hours in and I'm still eager to keep playing. That's always a good thing...

- Jer

·
Registered
10,295 Posts
I'm digging this game. I thought I was doing well on medium difficulty, 'till I met the first dragon. After numerous restarts, I moved the difficulty down to Easy, and it still took almost an hour to complete this stage!

The gameplay is an interesting mix between the familiar (2d fighting games, side scrolling beat-em-ups) and unique (planting seeds during combat to grow fruit to eat later on the same level???).

It's fun to play, and grows deeper the more you play. I wish it had widescreen support. And if the graphics/artwork had the higher resolution of the current-gen systems, it would be really sweet!

But still... well worth checking out! Great music and speech: I found the original Japanese voices work much better than the English ones.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I totally love this game. It's rare when you can tell how much time and passion was put into the creation of a game in the first 5 minutes of gameplay. Every movement is so meticulously animated even though I'm sure the general audience wouldn't even notice it. The vibrancy of the art is quite a sight to be seen if you have a large screen.

Posting about this game has got me thinking on another tangent. I think everyone knows this game is one of those that will get critical acclaim, but little attention from the mass market, much like Okami. With each example of this paired with the high sale volumes of embarrassingly bad licensed games and other shoddily-made cash-in games, I'm more and more afraid that soon we may never again be privy to play games the likes of Okami and Odin Sphere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts