AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tracking the DLP vs LCD threads and noticed that a common complaint of DLP is related to the spinning color wheel. The TI DLP site indicates that high performance three DLP Chip systems are being built for projection in theaters...

Just curious, is anyone aware of a manufacturer that may be planning or designing a 3 DLP Chip display system for consumer use? This system would be inherently more relaliable (no more moving wheel) and provide more fidelity of projected image...

bradesp

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yes, and they are pretty awesome. However, most people can't afford it. This would definitely be in the $20K+ forum.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SethS
Yes, and they are pretty awesome. However, most people can't afford it. This would definitely be in the $20K+ forum.
Absurd. They would not be $20,000+.

THINK

You can buy three Samsung DLPs for less than $20,000. A lot less. That gets you the three chips and the electronics needed to drive them.

You just need to add the optics to split and recombine the colors.

Doug McDonald

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would be interested. I think the samsung DLP units kick b*tt, but my 567 was returned since my girlfriend was getting headaches from teh rainbows. However, I think the units have terrific color and picture - the technology is good, but the 3 chip would solve the biggest shortcoming IMHO.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think its only a matter of time ... TI recently announced that several manufactures will be shipping new 3-chip HD2 DLP *front* projectors, and it implied that the price is coming down on such 3-chip implementations

"The new TI 3-chip DLP subsystems, designed specifically for 16:9 format and utilizing HD2 technology, allow manufacturers the capability of creating a whole new family of projectors with performance and price-points that were previously unattainable," said Sam Runco, CEO of RUNCO International."

http://www.dlp.com/about_dlp/about_d...se.asp?id=1183

·
Registered
54 Posts
How about using 1 dlp chip with an SCR color wheel?

Would the performance be close enough to the 3 DLP chip?

LLCD:rolleyes:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LLCD
How about using 1 dlp chip with an SCR color wheel?
Agreed. I think this solution might be more economical.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.