AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had tried the demo shortly after it came out, but could never get it to run. After a couple computer upgrades, I decided I'd take a chance and just go out and buy the full version. Whoa! I thought GT4 was pretty realistic, but this is outrageous! I first tried to use a joystick (Sidewinder FF2) but that was a no-go - off-track at pretty much every turn. Hooked up the Logitech wheel from my PS2 and now I can actually make it around the track (though I'm about a minute behind the AI guys).

Any other folks play GTR? Looking for tips/tricks/addon suggestions. I haven't tried the online mode yet - I figure I should work on my skills a bit more before I ruin someone else's race. I have a feeling this game will take me months to get a handle on. Tonight I'm hooking up the TrackIR! Running at 1280x768 on my 32" LCD. Not sure if I have it running in 5.1 at the moment - I didn't hear anything coming from my surrounds last night.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Outrageous is correct! I got this game a week ago and with my Logitech Momo wheel it is the most realistic racing game by far. This game actually makes me feel like I'm a professional race car driver at a race weekend in Europe. The graphics are fantastic, especially the tracks, and the physics are scary good. I haven't tried online yet. Right now I'm even with the fastest cars at about 95% A.I. This is a game where you have to do a ton of laps to get used to the track and find the optimal lines and braking technique.

One thing: If you move the brake bias to the front it seems to help prevent spin-outs while braking into a turn. I moved it just 2% to the front from the stock settings and it certainly helped.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the brakes suggestion - I'll give that a shot tonight. I think most of my problem was starting out with some kind of high-HP Viper. Give it just a little too much gas coming out of a corner and you swap ends in an instant. Did a bit better when I moved down to the Lotus (Elise?). I just can't get over the engine & transmission sounds, the force feedback implementation, and the post-race analysis tools. After reading a few GTR forums this morning, lots of folks recommend Monza for a "beginner" course, so I'll give that a shot. Probably worth looking closely at the realism settings, too. I initially tried Arcade, which was a joke, then went to the next one up (Semi-Pro I think) and that kicked my butt, so I'll need to start looking at some fine-adjustments with the sliders.

Never played a game that replicated the atmosphere of racing so well... just need to find out if there's a Laguna Seca map out there somewhere. And Nurburgring, of course. GT Legends is on my radar now, too. I hear that's coming to the U.S. in Feb 2006.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have GTR and Rfactor. I go back and forth on the two but usually play Rfactor. I would encourage anyone to buy both. They are both very good and very realistic racing simulators.

I haven't really played online with either game because I am not as good as I feel that I need to be. My main concern is that I would ruin someone's race by smacking them or in general just not driving well enough. However, if you guys want to race at all PM me and we can try to hook it up.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'll see if I can find some time to play. I have to allocate time equally to GTR, BF2, and WoW. I don't know why I just bought Silent Hunter III because these 3 games are enough to last me for at least a couple months.

I've just been concentrating on the Ferrari 360 Modena (My favorite car) at Barcelona. It oversteers a bit, but doesn't have a tendancy to spin out under power when in 3rd or higher. Just for kicks I took out the S7 at Monza for a test drive, and that's insane! I can't imagine having a track full of cars and racing that at 100% A.I.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
GTR and RFactor are both great. Currently I've been leaning towards GTR, but that's mostly because GTR is easier on the video card and I can get 60fps at much higher settings. I haven't seen PGR3 on my set yet, but I can't see it possibly looking any cleaner than this game does at 1600x900 and 4xAA!

One tip for starting out in GTR is to try the Elise. It's not quite as unforgiving as some of the other cars, and is a lot of fun to take through the corners.

There are actually quite a few 'mods' available for the game as well. I've got an addon Laguna Seca track that's really good. Check out www.racesimcentral.com and you should be able to find lots of new stuff. The M4Driving page is good too http://www.m4driving.it/files/2443.html .

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely interested in some online GTR action - sent you a PM mking2673. I can't guarantee the best driving on my part, but my intentions are good!

I'll check out those mods when I get home - thanks for the links, StreetPreacher.

·
Registered
860 Posts
This thread has me pumped up to play some GTR.

However, I tried starting up gtr after reading the thread and for some reason all of the sudden there were wierd rendering problems. It is the kind of atrifacts that you get if you overclock your video card too much and it overheats, but I'm not overclocking and no other game has the problem.

Anyone else get this? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and no luck.

System:

AMD 64 3700+

2 7800 GTs in SLI

2 gigs of ram

Soundblaster audigy 2 zs

All stock speed and latest drivers.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
No artifacts here on a oc'd 6800GT w/ 81.95 drivers at 1920x1200 (gotta love native widescreen support). Love this game, it's a great PC vs. console differentiator. :cool:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Well, for some reason the artifacts are gone now after a couple of days of being there. As long as they don't come back I guess I don't really care why they were there.

The game is a nice differentiator between a GT4 "driving simulator" and a true "racing simulator".

·
Registered
570 Posts
Are any of you guys on Xfire? That might make it easier to set up a game. I'm AVS_bitTRL1000. I'll be up for some racing this afternoon through tonight.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have xfire, but just haven't been turning it on much since I've cut down on Battlefield2 :)

I'd love to get a GTR game going with some of the regulars here. I've only played this online a few times, and my experience is that it would take an entire afternoon to get to a race. A lot of the players online seem to do 'real' race, so you end up qualifying & practising forever before the actual race starts.

I'll have to take a closer look at the online component tonight, I'm assuming that you can setup private races etc.?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'd like to do a simulation race, but we could skip the practice and qualifying. Post your xfire name and I'll keep an eye out for you.

·
Registered
860 Posts
My xfire is williamshattner.

I hope that you can set up races without pratice and warm up and all of that. I jumped in on a few races and had no idea what was going on and why we were all just practicing for like fifteen minutes. :eek:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mking2673
I jumped in on a few races and had no idea what was going on and why we were all just practicing for like fifteen minutes. :eek:
Yep, that's what happened to me as well. I just wanted to have a couple of friendly races, not spend my entire afternoon on practice and warm up :p

'Simulation' mode is definitely the only way to go, the other modes just don't feel like you're actually controlling the car (too much automatic braking etc.).

Do you guys have any track preferences? That was my other issue with the online racing. I've only had time to learn a few tracks well, and racing online without knowing the track is not fun for anyone. Personally I like Donnington & Laguna Seca, but I'll happily familiarize myself with a few more :)

And I think my xfire is StreetPreacher, but any of the BF2 regulars might already have me on your lists. ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it took me almost all weekend, but I finally got online with GTR. I must have tried to register in-game 20-25 times and it never worked. Always bumped me back to the menu without any confirmation that my registration went through. Decided to try again yesterday and for some crazy reason, it actually worked.

After a bit of practice on various tracks, I'm starting to get the hang of the handling (a bit). One thing I can't seem to do in ANY car is maintain controlled oversteer. As soon as the tail steps out just a little bit, the car does an instant 180. I'm not trying to win a drift competition, but a little bit of tail-out driving just doesn't seem possible. Maybe I need to start fine-tuning the settings to achieve that...

I'll have to check out xfire and register tonight.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If I buy a racing wheel or other cool controller my wife will have me committed. Can this game be enjoyed fully just on a keyboard?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yeah if my rear end starts to drift I have to get off of the gas right away or it's over. I think that it is a matter of how the cars are set up.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Does GTR support widescreen (esp 1280x720) ??????

wouldnt mind dusting off my Saitek wheel... :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, widescreen is supported! I think I'm running 1280x768, but it could be 720. Not at home to check. It would have been a deal-breaker for me if GTR didn't support it.

You probably could run it with a keyboard, but even a joystick was impossible for me to control. I think both a wheel & force feedback are "must haves" for this game. It's nice to have that "scrubbing" feel through the wheel to know when your tires are about to break lose. Not that it has stopped me from spinning into the sand yet...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.