AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got calibrators/optimizers like Thumper and William Phelps doing DLPs and DILAs. Anyone doing LCD?

I'd like to send my Sanyo LCD to an optimizer while I'm on vacation. It could use better convergence and tweaking.

If you do this, please let us all know as I'll be willing to bet there's more than a few of us who would use this service. You can email me at

[email protected]

Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
I've been wondering about this, too.

We need good ISF calibrators who will step up to the digital plate.

We can Avia/VE and SMART all we want, but an authorized calibrator who knows all the service menu options and how to optimize them, using the higher end colorimeters any good ISF calibrator has, will go a long ways towards improving the digital projector experience...

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, and I can even include a hard copy of the service manual because I have one!

William Phelps et. al., where are you when I need you?? :D

Dan

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Dan,

I'm the worst person to talk about LCDs, because I basically don't understand them as HT pjs when compared to other technologies, but I know there's a lot of people happy with them when using at home and work.

Based on my experience as a magazine tester, I'd never SEND my projector to anybody: if you want to calibrate via a colorimeter, you have to do the job on the ENTIRE CHAIN, not only on the final part.

Just as an example: while testing a pj (I guess it was a DLP, but it really doesn't matter) I saw something different from previous impressions.

I realized that, for comparing reasons (I use to have a direct projection for two or three units at a time to have a better idea of what I'm seeing), I sent the signal through a simple and inoffensive S-video switch.

But... this guy altered my primaries: I measured once again the pj, with and without it, and all 3 colors where shifted!!!

So my suggestion is simple: buy a colorimeter and do the job yourself.

If you have acces to service menu, calibrate the pj altering the RGB (if possible).

If this is not reachable, put an interface in the signal path that allows you to vary RGB values (many of them can do this).

You can't afford it or don't want to? Call an ISF tech at home, with all your setup.

Just $ 0.02, and sorry for being rude about your choice, I don't want to intrude, it's only my personal opinion! :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The only issue is that some of these 'uber tweakers' are doing much more than just setting color balance... Opening the projector up... Removing the DMD's, painting the projection chambers in light absorbing black paint, adjusting the polarizer plates, installing light traps to reduce 'scatter', blacking out the clear section of the DLP color wheel, installing rubber washers to reduce vibration and therefore noise, while at the same time giving it all a good alchohol clean out and dusting etc are common tweaks that are done...

I know of no ISF tech out there that does this kind of work... The calibrators in general are going far beyond simply setting the greyscale... in fact I am in 100% agreement that it needs to be tuned to the system it is attached to but in many ways that is a trivial task compared to the HW tweaking that is done... eg your right we can do it... Adjusting polarizor plates is not for the faint of heart !!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Dan-

Perhaps a middle ground is the SMART calibration that Steve Smallcombe has created. It's not ISF, but it seems to really help many LCD's. I'm sure you could send him your projector or just buy the stuff and do it yourself.

It's certainly not ISF, but it's relatively cheap and might be a good starting place. Steve's website is www.smartavtweaks.com

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve13: SMART has not been set up for the XP21N. HKSteve is working on this with no usable results thus far.

What I was hoping to find, as some of the previous posts alluded to, is someone who not only calibrates but also optimizes these projectors.

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.