AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone recommend high speed catagory 2 certified HDMI cables in 50 Feet at reasonable price? Need to be able to support 1080p & deep color. Same specification as Monoprice's high speed catagory 2 certified HDMI cables but in 50 Feet.

i.e.

Bandwidth: up to 340 Mhz (10.2 Gbps)

Deep Color: 10-bit, 12-bit, and 3*16-bit (48-bit RGB or YCbCr) color depths. “x.v.Color™”

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
IMHO the best HDMI cable available is Blue Jeans Cables' Series 1. However, it is only certified Category 2 for 25 feet.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/17056830

IMHO the best HDMI cable available is Blue Jeans Cables' Series 1. However, it is only certified Category 2 for 25 feet.

Thanks. My Problem is getting a cable that's certified category 2 in 50 feet. Running the cable in my HT room is quite a challenge. I want to get something that that I don't have to swap in the near future.

·
Vendor
93 Posts
Hi Alex,

The problem is not so much that you can't just take the same materials that you use to make a 25ft HDMI 1.3, category 2 cable and just make it in a 50ft length, because, basically, that's what we do. The 50ft cable is made with the same high grade cabling and connectors as the 25ft cables. However, the HDMI labs do not currently certify any cable longer than 25ft as HDMI 1.3, category 2. If there were a cable in longer lengths that the HDMI labs would certify, we would not hesitate to bring it into our catalog.

But consider this, the HDMI certification process is to offer some assurance to the consumer that a particular cable will perform up to a certain level but it is not a guarentee. Other factors such as the devices being used also play a large role in the final outcome. So it is not uncommon to find that a certified cable can fail to meet a performance benchmark in real world use that it's suppose to be able to do and find uncertified cables able to perform those same benchmarks with aplomb. Basically, you'll never know til you try.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoprice_01 /forum/post/17060427

Hi Alex,

The problem is not so much that you can't just take the same materials that you use to make a 25ft HDMI 1.3, category 2 cable and just make it in a 50ft length, because, basically, that's what we do. The 50ft cable is made with the same high grade cabling and connectors as the 25ft cables. However, the HDMI labs do not currently certify any cable longer than 25ft as HDMI 1.3, category 2. If there were a cable in longer lengths that the HDMI labs would certify, we would not hesitate to bring it into our catalog.

But consider this, the HDMI certification process is to offer some assurance to the consumer that a particular cable will perform up to a certain level but it is not a guarentee. Other factors such as the devices being used also play a large role in the final outcome. So it is not uncommon to find that a certified cable can fail to meet a performance benchmark in real world use that it's suppose to be able to do and find uncertified cables able to perform those same benchmarks with aplomb. Basically, you'll never know til you try.

So can I buy 2 of your 25' and use a coupler/adaptor to make them 50' then? Any issues using this method?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Using two 25' cables will not solve the problem. You will be using the same cable as the 50' one but have a connector in the middle which could cause other issues. As Monoprice posted there are no cables longer than 25 feet that have been certified. I would suggest that you purchase the Monoprice 50' cable and try it. You can return it if it does not work. The problem is that HDMI was never designed for 50' runs. I am using the Monoprice 35' cable for 1080p with deep color specs and I have no problem.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley /forum/post/17065099

Using two 25' cables will not solve the problem. You will be using the same cable as the 50' one but have a connector in the middle which could cause other issues. As Monoprice posted there are no cables longer than 25 feet that have been certified. I would suggest that you purchase the Monoprice 50' cable and try it. You can return it if it does not work. The problem is that HDMI was never designed for 50' runs. I am using the Monoprice 35' cable for 1080p with deep color specs and I have no problem.

I do have a 50' monoprice cable (version 1.2) that I have been using for the last two years without any issues. I just wanted to swap it for a High speed catagory 2 cable. I guess I will just have to wait for a bit longer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
No long copper cable will pass CAT2 testing due to losses. An active cable (with equalization) will work great but will not pass certification because active cables must have the DDC/CEC wire capacitance below 700pF. This will not be possible for long cables. Strangely, they do not require DDC/CEC wire capacitance testing for passive cables.

Active cables can incorporate an I2C accelerator that assists the DDC signals in high capacitance environments, yet the capacitance is still there and measures too high to meet HDMI certification.

I have a 150'+ long HDMI cable (with equalizer/DDC accelerator) that works perfectly in-system at 1080p, 60Hz, 12bit color (deep color). But it can not be certified because of HDMI certification policies.

·
Vendor
93 Posts
Using two 25ft cables with a coupler would be equivalent to taking your 50ft cable, cutting it in half and then patching them together. Won't improve anything, but has the potential to cause other problems. We'll keep trying to improve the quality, but the specs will most likely continue to evolve before we ever get to the end.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have I found my cable or is this just bull ? 28AWG, thin and flexible that meet catagory 2, sold by PP.

Comprehensive HR (High Resolution) Pro Series Cables are "Comprehensive Classic" professional grade cables that provide excellent performance and value. That's why since 1974, they have been used worldwide in stadiums, studios, stages, boardrooms, classrooms, schools, government installations and well, pretty much everywhere! HR Pro Series Cables are perfect for anyone looking for very good quality at great price. HR Pro Series 1.3 Category 2 HDMI to HDMI cables provide Ultra High Definition and beyond 1080p Full HD performance. Experience Deep Color, x.v. Color, Lip Sync, 120Hx refresh rate and 5.1/7.1 Lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Surround Sound for the ultimate High Definition experience.

HR Pro series HDMI cables provide up to 10.2 Gbps ultra high speed by utilizing a 28 gauge oxygen free copper center conductor. This ensures extremely low attenuation and maximum signal transfer for the ultimate in high definition 1.3a Category 2 HDMI cable performance.24k gold precision machined contacts provide maximum conductivity while triple shielding provides maximum rejection of all EM and RF interference. HR Pro series cables are extremely flexible which makes installation easy.Fully HDCP and RoHS compliant. HR Pro HDMI 1.3 Category 2 cables come with ATC and one year warranty.

Cable Features:

* ATC Certified eXtreme High Definition 1.3 Cat 2 Performance

* 1080p and Beyond

* HDMI Male to Male

* Ultra-High Speed up to 10.2 Gbps
* Deep Color and x.v. Color

* 5.1/7.1 Lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Surround Sound

* Triple shielding rejects RF interference
* 28AWG Construction for maximum signal transfer

* 120 hz Refresh Rate

* X-traflex jacket reduces cable stress

* Molded Strain Relief

* UL and RoHS Compliant Cable

* HDCP Compliant

* One-year Warranty

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon /forum/post/18028546

Have I found my cable or is this just bull ? 28AWG, thin and flexible that meet catagory 2, sold by PP.

Comprehensive HR (High Resolution) Pro Series Cables are "Comprehensive Classic" professional grade cables that provide excellent performance and value. That's why since 1974, they have been used worldwide in stadiums, studios, stages, boardrooms, classrooms, schools, government installations and well, pretty much everywhere! HR Pro Series Cables are perfect for anyone looking for very good quality at great price. HR Pro Series 1.3 Category 2 HDMI to HDMI cables provide Ultra High Definition and beyond 1080p Full HD performance. Experience Deep Color, x.v. Color, Lip Sync, 120Hx refresh rate and 5.1/7.1 Lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Surround Sound for the ultimate High Definition experience.

HR Pro series HDMI cables provide up to 10.2 Gbps ultra high speed by utilizing a 28 gauge oxygen free copper center conductor. This ensures extremely low attenuation and maximum signal transfer for the ultimate in high definition 1.3a Category 2 HDMI cable performance.24k gold precision machined contacts provide maximum conductivity while triple shielding provides maximum rejection of all EM and RF interference. HR Pro series cables are extremely flexible which makes installation easy.Fully HDCP and RoHS compliant. HR Pro HDMI 1.3 Category 2 cables come with ATC and one year warranty.

Cable Features:

* ATC Certified eXtreme High Definition 1.3 Cat 2 Performance

* 1080p and Beyond

* HDMI Male to Male

* Ultra-High Speed up to 10.2 Gbps
* Deep Color and x.v. Color

* 5.1/7.1 Lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Surround Sound

* Triple shielding rejects RF interference
* 28AWG Construction for maximum signal transfer

* 120 hz Refresh Rate

* X-traflex jacket reduces cable stress

* Molded Strain Relief

* UL and RoHS Compliant Cable

* HDCP Compliant

* One-year Warranty

That reeks to me.

They actually cited lossless audio, deep color, HDCP compliance and 120hz refresh rate for the cable?

Hilarious.

And why are you so set on having a cable this long certified anyway? That's an irrational desire, you don't need it and you're not going to find it anyway.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/18028936

That reeks to me.

They actually cited lossless audio, deep color, HDCP compliance and 120hz refresh rate for the cable?

Hilarious.

And why are you so set on having a cable this long certified anyway? That's an irrational desire, you don't need it and you're not going to find it anyway.

It doesn't have to be certified. I am set to buy the Panasonic AE4000 and some people are saying long run HDMI cable don't seem to work well with this PJ. I just want a 45' High Speed cable to can work with AE4000, and is flexible if at all possible. I have a Monoprice 50' ver 1.2 HDMI cable that has worked very well with my 720p. Do you have a recommendation?

·
Registered
556 Posts
As Chris has indicated, these people sound like B.S. artists. Very little substantive info on the cable, lots of talk about things like audio encoding standards that are irrelevant to the cable choice.

If the cable doesn't have some sort of internal booster/EQ, it's definitely not Category 2 compliant at 45 or 50 feet. If it does, it may be. Try asking the vendor for a copy of the HDMI ATC certificate; if they have one, there should be no reason not to supply it. If they hem and haw, well, that's probably your answer.

My recommendation: if you have a cable in place which is currently working fine, try that cable with your new projector. If it fails, then start shopping; if not, don't worry.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtBJC /forum/post/18029174

As Chris has indicated, these people sound like B.S. artists. Very little substantive info on the cable, lots of talk about things like audio encoding standards that are irrelevant to the cable choice.

If the cable doesn't have some sort of internal booster/EQ, it's definitely not Category 2 compliant at 45 or 50 feet. If it does, it may be. Try asking the vendor for a copy of the HDMI ATC certificate; if they have one, there should be no reason not to supply it. If they hem and haw, well, that's probably your answer.

My recommendation: if you have a cable in place which is currently working fine, try that cable with your new projector. If it fails, then start shopping; if not, don't worry.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

Thanks, Kurt. I am in need of a new HDMI cable regardless. I will be keeping the old PJ along with the new in the same room. I will see how the AE4000 works with the old cable. Since my existing cable is ver 1.2, what improvement would I get with newer version 1.3b ??

·
Registered
556 Posts
There isn't any real difference between version numbers, so far as cable is concerned. In fact, contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as HDMI spec 1.3b -- that's a compliance test spec number and not particularly relevant to anything.

The HDMI Licensing organization has, in fact, recently issued directives to licensees to remove references to spec versions from their marketing materials; there's a "grace period" of a year, and then we are all supposed to have stopped. HDMI Licensing considers that the use of spec versions has been a source of confusion to the consumer, which it certainly has. It will be interesting to see, though, whether HDMI has any success at curbing the deceptive use of spec versions, et cetera...there are a lot of vendors to monitor, and it's not always easy to bring pressure to bear, especially on third-party vendors who are not themselves HDMI Adopters.

Under the new regime for HDMI trademark usage, the only distinctions to be made are between "Standard Speed" and "High Speed" cables (Cat 1/ Cat 2), and between cables which do and which do not support the new HDMI Ethernet protocol. So, any cable which was certified under 1.2 is going to be a "standard speed without ethernet" cable under the new terminology, no different from a 1.4-certified "standard speed without ethernet" cable.

Even if your application is a high-speed application, in many if not most situations you're going to find that an old standard-speed cable will work just fine. If it doesn't work, you'll see the same usual signs of HDMI cable failure: sparkly pixels, line drop-outs, sync failure that causes the picture to flash or jump, or no picture at all. If you don't see those things, you're good to go.

Kurt
Blue Jeans Cable

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/17056830

I second that. I think the Beldon Bonded-Pair HDMI cables are probably among the best available for long distance.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kurt,

How thick is your BJC Belden Series-1 Bonded-Pair Cable compared to Monoprice's 24AWG 50' cable (#2110). This is the cable that I have now and I didn't have any problem running that, even though it was a bit thick. I am now looking at their 22AWG (#4035) and your BJC Belden Series-1 Bonded-Pair Cable. Performance and ease of installation are the only two factors I am looking at. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts