AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I have a TW40X81 and I'll never go back to a 4:3 set.

·
Registered
420 Posts
No contest--16:9 all the way.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I would NEVER go back to 4x3. And I am not an advanced user. Simply that 16x9 is better for what I use if for: DVDs and HDTV reception (HiPix Card). Do NOT go 4x3 if you are in to DVDs or plan to get an HDTV receiver (which these days are getting really cheap!)

Bob

·
Registered
185 Posts
Considering that one purchases a TV to keep for many years, if anyone is purchasing a new TV today and does not opt for the 16:9 widescreen, he/she would be very short sighted - bordering on foolish.

Once you have seen anamorphic, widescreen DVDs and widescreen, hi-def programming on a 16:9 TV, any second guessing ends and there is no going back.

End of story.

------------------

Don Silinski

[This message has been edited by donsil (edited 03-29-2001).]

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm using a front projection setup, and I prefer a 4:3 screen because that is the only way to fully utilize the CRTs in the projector. Seems a shame to look at a small 4:3 picture on a 16:9 screen when watching 4:3 material.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
375 Posts
Well, I used to regret that I have a 4:3 TV (XBR400) instead of a 16:9, but after getting a TiVo, I now watch more 4:3 content than ever before. More so than DVD and HDTV put together, so in a way, I happy again, that I have a 4:3 set.

------------------

Mike McGee

Oakland, CA

·
Registered
247 Posts
I went from a 27" JVC to a Toshiba 40X81. I'll never, ever go back to a 4:3 set as the primary TV in the house. 16:9 is the only way to go.

·
Registered
220 Posts
16x9 and not looking back. I agree with donsil 100%. HDTV on 16x9 is beautiful baby (final four comign soon) and I can't wait. Go Md. beat Duke!

The prices on 16x9 seem to be falling now. I might have a regret about my timing....

------------------

Joe Cole

Quote:
Who's scruffy looking?

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
16x9 and not looking back. Wouldn't watch DVD's or HD any other way. The stretch modes on my Elite do a good job on 4x3 material so it's not bothersome to watch 4x3 stretched to 16x9...

------------------

Geof

[This message has been edited by Geof (edited 03-29-2001).]

·
Registered
69 Posts
16x9 all the way!

The 4x3 stretch modes are not as bad as people think. Try it, you'll like it.

------------------

Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
Absolutely no regrets. I have a 55" 16:9 set, the only way to go. 4:3 stretch ain't so bad, just the image quality of those sources, now I need to replace all the other sets in the house !

·
Registered
133 Posts
16x9 A few mild regrets

------------------

Russ

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Considering that at least 75% of the viewing is from 4:3 material, one would think that more would regret the 16:9 sets.

Also, other than 1 or 2 HD channels & DVD, what else is 16:9???

My 200+ other DSS channels are 4:3. How do they look stretched on a 16:9 set? Can't be as good as a 4:3 set.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cmcjo:
Considering that at least 75% of the viewing is from 4:3 material, one would think that more would regret the 16:9 sets.

Also, other than 1 or 2 HD channels & DVD, what else is 16:9???

My 200+ other DSS channels are 4:3. How do they look stretched on a 16:9 set? Can't be as good as a 4:3 set.
With the TW1 stretch mode on my Tosh set there is no noticeable difference. I've had many people over to watch football and other 4:3 programming and no one has ever noticed the stretch mode.

How do anamorphic DVD's look on that 4:3 set? Definately not as good as my 16:9. Sorry, just a little sarcasm.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.