AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Channel Master and explained my conditions and they recommended the 4221 or 4228. Surprisingly, they didn't recommend the 4248 (yagi type) which is the one highly recommended by forum members. I haven't heard much about these and was wondering the results you have found?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe_R:
I called Channel Master and explained my conditions and they recommended the 4221 or 4228.
The 4221 (3021 same but cheaper version)[20"W x 4"D x 39" H] is one of the best UHF antennas available. The 4221 (3021) has a little less gain on the low-end and a little more gain on the high-end of the UHF band than the 4248. The Front-To-Back (F/B) ratio and beam-width are not quite as good as the 4248.

The 4228 has about the same gain as the 4248 and the Front-To-Back (F/B) ratio and beam-width is better than the 4248.

Info at: http://206.155.192.130/pages/u1.htm

For Channel Master products try Consumer Direct at: http://www.consumerdirectonline.com or Stark Electronics at: http://starkelectronic.com

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

[This message has been edited by Wendell R. Breland (edited 03-21-2001).]

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey Joe_R, how's it going. I'm using the channelmaster 3021 to get at the philly stations, but I'm probably about 20 miles closer to the transmitters than you. For me the 3021 is working just fine. I've been pulling in all the digital channels without a problem. I think the 4228 is just a larger version of the 3021 (8 bay vs 4 bay), and I was planning to go to that if I had a problem with the smaller antenna. For me that was not necessary. Good luck...

·
Registered
801 Posts
I am using 4 of them on a 30' pole, and they each work great. I am doing an experiment measuring signal strength at different heights at different times of the day, and since they only cost about $22/ea., they fit my requirements perfectly. They seem to have every bit as much gain as the long Radio Shack yagi, and present much less surface area to wind gusts. They are also INVISIBLE, you have to squint to see them against the sky. I think they are an incredible value and would highly recommend them.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
59 Posts
JPS.....

What is the, "as the crow flies" distance from you to Philly?

At 42 miles the small Rat Shack Yagi works fine for me.

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm using the similar CM 3021 and it works fine at 12 miles. Its temporarily mounted in the attic with really bad multiply spliced wiring running to the living room and I get 70 to 85 signal level with the DTC-100. I occasionally have severe ghosting on analog stations so I suspect I'm susceptable to multipath on the digitals and generally everything locks just fine. Its a dirt-cheap antenna - $25. I got mine at:

http://www.unclejoes.com/tv_antennas.htm

In constrast to my roof-mounted VHF/UHF combo I can get all digital stations with the 3021 which I could not do with the VHF/UHF combo.

It is a tad directional which of course helps with the multipath conditions.

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
I have the CM 3021 also. Needs an amp with it even though I'm no more than 20 miles from the transmitters, due to static and dynamic multipath. Can't pull in one of four digital stations most of the time but that station is using their backup transmitter at reduced power. If you have room for the 8 bay, you might want to go for that instead.

Linda

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Allright, good. I am getting ready to buy the 4228 8 bay bow tie. I'll see if that makes a difference. If not, I call it quits and will just have to wait for the stations to increase their signal strength.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wendell R. Breland:

The 4228 has about the same gain as the 4248 and the Front-To-Back (F/B) ratio and beam-width is better than the 4248.

Info at: http://206.155.192.130/pages/u1.htm
I'm surprised this link lists the 4228 as UPS-shippable; the 2000-2001 CM catalog says it is not. IMHO that's the only reason to recommend the 4248 over it.

Even the 4251 doesn't have as good a F/B ratio as the 4228 (unless you do what some do and put chicken wire on the 4251).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Dave,

I'm 22 miles south of the transmitters. I've got it mounted on the chimney at about 35 feet and connected via a straight run of about 40 ft of quad shielded rg6 cable. The cable connects to a grounding block, which is, in turn, connected to a surge protector located behind the tv. Many of the homes in my area use larger vhf/uhf antenna equipped with yagi's for the uhf. I decided to try the 3021 because it is compact and barely noticeable from the street. The challenge will be to pick up NJN when they get running, because my wife and I like to watch programming originating from both pbs channels. Haven't figured how I'm going to work that one out. Perhaps I'll go the route of the yagi and a rotor.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dave, consider yourself lucky to get that type of reception without any problems and with a small antenna. I would guess it's pretty flat out where you are?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I use the Channel Master 3021 (also known as the 4221) to watch 14 different stations over paths as long as 70 miles from Eastern Pennsylvania. These include all five stations in New York City (64 - 65 mile path) and WVIA-41 in Wilkes-Barre, PA (70+ miles).

I have all the Channel Master antennas and have tested them side-by-side. In a test I ran last July receiving the five Philadelphia DTV stations from a hill 25 miles north and line-of-sight, the CM 4228 8-bay had the most gain on CH 26, the 4248 was the winner on channels 42 and 55, and the 4221 took top honors on 64 and 67.

The 4221 works surprisngly well for being such a simple and old (vintage late 1950s) design. It's a golden oldie! For viewers who have occasional data drop-out, try Channel Master's Titan 2 #7775 UHF-only preamp. It has 22 - 24 dB of gain, low noise figure (under 3 dB) and is not as susceptible to overload from adjacent strong signals, as the Radio Shack cartridge preamp and Terk combo preamp are.

Also, the 4221 has a good front-to-back ratio, which helps with multipath, and also a wide beamwidth, which means it doesn't have to be pointed exactly at the transmitter to receive a signal.

I have modified the Channel Master 4308 to make it more efficient as a UHF antenna. The mods resulted in 2 to 5 dB more gain on UHF signals and less multipath problems, plus a better match to the balun. This antenna also picks up all 14 DTV stations with a Titan 2 preamp.

BTW, WNJN-43 is operating with 5 kW ERP transmitter power - not real strong, but receivable.

KC

·
Registered
31 Posts
KC -

I'm in your area (Wrightstown). Can you please let me know which stations you are receiving? I count only 12 in your message, but you wrote that you receive 14.

Certainly Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC and PBS from Philly.

You wrote 5 stations in NYC, I'll assume the same networks.

You wrote WVIA-41 and WNJN-43

Which other two stations do you receive?

Are your antennas rooftop or do you have some kind of massive mast?

My Antenna installation guy told me to forget about NYC stations, but based upon your message I'm probably going to ask him to install a rotor and give it a try.

BTW, he said he recommended a 4 bay bowtie with screen from CM, so I assume he intends to install a 3021 or a 4221.

RSL

·
Registered
196 Posts
You aren't too far south of me. My antennas sit atop a 5' mast with a small rotor on my roof, which is 445' ASL but down the other side of a ridge from the Roxborough (Philadelphia) transmitter sites.

Even so, I pick up the following:

KYW-26

WNBC-28

WPIX-33

WVIA-41

WTXF-42

WNJN-43

WNYW-44

WABC-45

WFMZ-46 (Allentown)

WHYY-55

WCBS-56

WLVT-62 (Allentown)

WPVI-64

WCAU-67

Roxborough is 24 - 25 air miles from me. Allentown is 25 air miles also. WVIA is 70+ miles; WNYW and WCBS are 65 miles, and WNBC, WPIX, and WABC are 64 miles. Trenton is over 20 miles, don't have the exact distance.

I can also watch the following in my basement, below ground, with both home made small UHF yagis (12" long) and the Silver Sensor:

KYW-26

WTXF-42

WFMZ-46

WHYY-55

WLVT-62

WPVI-64

WCAU-67

Sometimes I need a preamp on 55 and 67. The others are just a matter of placing the antenna in the right location. I have also modified a Radio Shack 15-1862 amplified VHF/UHF antenna to pick up these stations.

KC

·
Registered
59 Posts
KC

I spoke with Rick a NJN Engineering last week, and he reported that they had increased the power. Of course, I can't recall the #. I will inquire again in our next conversation and post the data here.

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hi JoeR!

Before you spring for that 4228 you might consider the U-92 Passive wave loop from www.antennaperformance.com/new .I used a 4228 over most of the winter and recently put up the U-92.For me it works better than the 4228.

Others have mentioned around the web and I also think it's between a CM Parascope and all other consumer UHF antennas on the market.

BTW,the only way I found to buy a 4228 was through a local distributor and paid thru the nose for it.Everyone says it's not UPS-able.

GB

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
My CM4228 arrived monday from Warren Electronics in Illinois. It was the last one they had in stock, but I'm sure they'll get more. He said they had recently had a run on them. Although I expected it to come via UPS, it was shipped Fed-X. Total cost, including shipping and a pair of 18-inch wall mounts was roughly $76...

I'm still uncertain if I'll need an amplifier or if I want to get a rotor.

Dennis

------------------

Dennis Whiteman

FastPipe Media, Inc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.