AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is from the new Wilson Thor's Hammer subwoofer. I haven't seen anything like this before. Dual spiders, well, looking at it it seems that there's dual everything other than the magnet (even though they look like a triple stack) and the cone and surround. Why would they do this? More motor power?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Pretty sure that Memphis did something like that, maybe it was Kyle that posted that picture.

Dual spiders are good for linearity, long former though, not that it's a disadvantage other than weight. It's basically two different size baskets bolted together.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasyachkin /forum/post/16977989

they did it this way because they weren't smart enough to do it the way i described.

That's why they did it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
looks like a way to get a long former and 2 spiders with minimal tooling and therefore cost.. modifying 2 existing baskets to be bolted together

Not like they gained any clearance in the basket though for longer excursion...

looks neeto though in marketing materials... especially coupled to it's name

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniman /forum/post/16978042

looks neeto though in marketing materials... especially coupled to it's name

Bingo!

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure marketing has something to do with it, but most of the people that buy those things never care to know what's going on inside. Like it or not, their products are very good. WAY WAY overpriced, but still sound and perform great.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasyachkin /forum/post/16978137

yes.

most people do what they do because they don't know any better.

Tell you what, lets get you Dave Wilson's e-mail and/or phone number and you show him what your driver is like and see if he'll make it. Cost seems to be no object with his stuff, so an ultra expensive driver that will perform better than the rest will surely make a good match in his lineup.

I'm wondering with this driver if there would be any more practical value for it. I don't think this was all about marketing. It has to perform good. If he were just to throw an extra everything on there it would probably not keep up a decent sound.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
seriuosly.... to me it looks like there was a certain quality they were after in the driver... and this was most likely the cheapest way to get there rather than have an entire new basket casting tooled up.. economies of scale.. hey wait a minute we could just make a simple adapter ring and bolt the other one that were making thousands of right on here.

then...

the marketing dept saw what it looked like and ran with it

If you think about it I wouldn't exactly call Wilson a volume manufacturer.. cheapest way to market with the same result is the way to a successful business. In low volumes much easier to leverage larger volumes of something else

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasyachkin /forum/post/16977989

they did it this way because they weren't smart enough to do it the way i described.

You are simply amazing! Could you post a link to your business website?

I tend to buy products that are good so please post that link when you get a chance.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
gimmick driver for a gimmick sub.

not doubting that is a good performer. the gimmick part kicks in when you look at the price.

for the same money, you could get 20 sealed subs from hsu or 10 from seaton, OR if you can glue some cabs together, you can get TWENTY 21" maelstroms with TWENTY ep2500/4000 amps as well as all the necessary eq equipment, though you might need to spend a little extra money to upgrade your circuit breaker box with additional taps. ;-)

·
Registered
5,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/16978128

Like it or not, their products are very good. WAY WAY overpriced, but still sound and perform great.

Actually, most of their stuff is not very good at all. The full-range speakers all sound bad, and measure accordingly poorly. Their subs generally have been among their highest performance products, though obviously the performance had nothing on the price. It looks like Wilson's gotten too cheap to use the types of drivers he used to for his subs. (JBL, Aura, TC.)

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 /forum/post/16978970

Actually, most of their stuff is not very good at all. The full-range speakers all sound bad, and measure accordingly poorly. Their subs generally have been among their highest performance products, though obviously the performance had nothing on the price. It looks like Wilson's gotten too cheap to use the types of drivers he used to for his subs. (JBL, Aura, TC.)

wilsons sound okay and emphasize the frequency response most folks find pleasing. my only compaint with them is their crazy pricing, but then again, audio is just another business and who am i to say what a product should cost.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/16979020

wilsons sound okay and emphasize the frequency response most folks find pleasing. my only compaint with them is their crazy pricing, but then again, audio is just another business and who am i to say what a product should cost.

I thought they sounded pretty good, their builds are extreme and they have cool in room customization IMO.

I think their pricing is smart, I would never buy them because they are not better then speakers 1/100th their price tag but Im a big believer in pure capitalism and someone out there loves to spend $100K + on speakers.

You are right about their measured response. Flat doesn't always sound good to many people besides does anyone have a Polar plot? FR plots are meaningless IMO.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan /forum/post/16979155

That's built by NCA Labs IIRC

If they would put in a lift ring under the spider it could allow for a larger spider and longer throw. ELVIS has left the building

Shouldnt we say "LVS" has left the building??? memphis used that design like 5 years ago...

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Like Dan said, it was built by NCA labs. They used to have a pic of a very similar driver on their home page. Parts Express had a dual basket test driver built but it never made it to full production. Since the Titanic line is built by NCA, everyone assumed the dual basket model was made there as well.

-Robert

1 - 20 of 43 Posts