AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In surfing the net I came across the Marantz PV6480W HD rear projection TV. What caught my interest was it has 9" CRT's and can display HD in full resolution. I read a review from Widescreen Review that said after calibration this was the best picture he'd seen short of a 60,000 Vidkron front projector. It isn't cheap at 10,000. Does anyone have any knowledge about this set or has seen it?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Dennis - I own one. I searched far and wide to find what I consider the best RPTV and I selected this unit. I tried the Mitsubishi and Pioneer models. As you point out it is one of only a few 9" gun sets. I have heard good things about the Zenith as well.

Now - here is the interesting part. The Marantz is exact same unit as the Philips 64". Exact same parts in every regard except for the marantz Pronto remote instead of the Philips AND the fact that the Marantz units are meticulously calibrated by some experts (better than any ISF's I have run across). I had a Philips set in my place prior to the MArantz. The dealer I ended up buying from made the unit only $500 more than the Philips so I bought it. I use it with a Faroudja scaler at 600P for non HD sources. All in all, the set is excellent. The only drawback is the fact that there is no discrete for changing to specific video inputs (there are on/off discretes) and the fans are louder than they should be but this is an easy repair. There is a "Philips_HDTV" yahoo group where the members exchange information on these sets.

The advantage of the Philips is that they are being sold for as litle as $3500-4000 these days for the same 64" set that was $6500 six months ago. This is the same unit as the Marantz except for the calibration, but I cannot underestimate the quality of the job done at the factory. I had an ISF come in to work on my set and he was blown away with the HD picture quality. I invested in the Duvetyne to make the blacks darker. worthwhile but not a requirement.

The set is highly recommended.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.