AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to find an articulating mount that instead of allowing the plasma to be pulled out and turned right, allows it to be pulled out and lifted up. So it would stow low on the wall, but could be raise up to viewing height and pulled away from the wall.

I suspect some of the articulating mounts might allow this orthogonal use, but I can't confirm it easily enough. Please let me know if anyone is aware of such a thing.

Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
In the movie "How to lose a guy in 10 days", the guy has a plasma mounted on a swing arm (left to right). I've done some research also regarding mounts, but haven't seen one that can be lifted up or down.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Rogo,

Here's what to do.

1. go to Sports Authority and buy a portable basketball hoop for about $229.

2. Remove hoop. Remove base. Hack off post as required.

3. Mount post to wall.

4. Mount plasma to backboard.

5. Leave the basketball outside.

Donutz

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Donutz
Rogo,

Here's what to do.

1. go to Sports Authority and buy a portable basketball hoop for about $229.

What weighs more a small hoop of wire with cotton netting, or an plasma screen TV?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Actually, I have seen an articulating arm wall mount that "locks" into position at any distance from the wall, and it can be rotated 90 degrees. So this might work by mounting it 90 degres off in a vertical pattern and it should work for both up or down depending on how you orient it on the wall.

I will try to see if I can track it down again, unless you've already considered it.

David

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Ok, found it. It's by Sanus Systems and is a line called VisionMount. THere is an ad on p.91 in this month's issue of SGHT.

In looking at the ad, I am now not certain if you can get the 90 degrees you need although they do show it being used under a cabinet, etc.

I went to their web site, but nothing listed there yet that I could find.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeff, it's not that easy. The articulating mounts need to join the back plates. So far, they also expect (demand?) the plasma be on the same plane as the arm's range of motion. If someone knows of an exception, then great.

Prof, I haven't seen that one, but it's a place to at least start looking.

Donutz, it's an interesting idea, but the bases for those things may not be living-room friendly enough. :)

I'm open to other ideas, links, etc.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have to think that if one exists, it'd be pretty expensive. You'd want springs or a pneumatic piston to offset the weight of the plasma, plus you'd want to be darn sure that it wouldn't come down on its own (read: lawsuit.)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
They definately exist, just whether or not such a thing exists in the consumer realm, and with plasma in mind. Look in any hospital and you'll find mounts covering complete ranges of motion, and with heavy equipment attached. The question becomes whether or not anyone has tried to design a consumer version of such a thing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My mom has a sweet stand in her kitchen that would be similar to what you are looking for.

It has one of those huge kitchen aide mixers on it, and instead of having to lift the mixer out and set it up on the counter it is just on a lift that you pull out from underneath the counter and it raises and swings up to counter height. Then when you are done you squeeze a bar and lower the unit back into the counter close the door and it is gone.

I am not sure of the brand but I am sure if you talked to a cabinent maker or two they would have access to lots of materials on the various kinds of lifts out there for this job. (That is who suggested the lift to my mom)

Ryan

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I'm familar with several of those appliance lifts on the market, unfortunately most don't provide the weight capacity or are space limited for the mounting:

Rev-A-Lift (by Rev-a-Shelf)

Hide-A-Shelf (by Amerock) [up to 75lbs. but limited mounting space]

"Jolly Shelf" mixer lift (by I forget who)

Hafele version of a lift shelf.

etc.

Ergotron makes a variety of articulated lifts for LCDs, but none that I see have high enough weight capacity.

I think you are looking at custom.....A plasma articulated swing arm with a low profile 'linear motion slide" (powered) either attached right behind the panel or on the wall.

What quantity of range of motion do you need? Does the "swing-out" function have to clear a countertop or something? How much vertical lift?

I like the Basketball Backboard Goal idea.....but for those that enjoy the NBA, just leave the goal and net attached and get a 'Nerf' ball to play along with the action.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brucer, I want it to stow below a fixed screen and then raise up in front of the screen. The range of motion of the articulating mounts is more than enough, if one could be used "sideways".

djs, it's no harder than the existing articulating mounts, just odder. I don't see how the stresses are particularly worse, there just needs to be a lockdown for it to hold position.

This may be impossible, and the only solution might be an articulating arm on an adjacent wall where the plasma stows sideways.

Mark

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'm not getting something in your picture. The side-articulating mounts don't have to carry any serious load in the lock-downs. they just have to control casual swing motion. Turn a structure like that sideways, and you suddently have tremendous torsional loads on the lock-downs, far more than you'd ever trust to a friction lock.

Sounds to me like you need to buy a lift and do some creative engineering with it.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, OK, guys... it's not easily plausible.

As I said, maybe I should just give up.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Rogo,

Did you see the ad I mentioned? They show an arm mounted on a wall that allows you to pull the display out from under a cabinet and up (or so it appears). Looks like a small LCD though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.