AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, how did you think they compare? I've seen the H model in 3-4 different places, one of which looks pretty stellar. I'm just trying to get an idea of how much difference there is in PQ.

I know about all the other differences already, I just need opinions on the PQ difference.

I'm ultimately trying to decide between the Hitachi SWX and the Toshiba HDX.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a similar question, that maybe you Frank can even help me with.

I can get the Toshiba H for $1900 at best Buy, the HDX at a local store for almost $300 more. He, of course, says the picture is worth that. I don't care about the audio 'cause I'll be using my receiver for that.

But more importantly, I am trying to compare it to the Hitachi UWX, not the SWX. So my first question is should I not even be considering the Hitachi UWX series??? The UWX is $2,200 (same as the Tosbiba HDX), the SWX is $2,700 - out of my price range.

So my first question is do I even consider the UWX.

If so, my second question is what should I go with - can't compare them side-by-side...

Then, H or HDX - I am leaning towards the extra $300 more because I hate Best Buy and respect the local dealer and their extended warranty...

And then... Does the HDX have a DVI input or not? I keep seeing and hearing conflicting - he has last years on the floor, but says this years has one, but the web is unclear - do you know for sure?

And *if* the HDX does not have the DVI port (I know the H does not btw) do I want one? Do I go Hitachi for this reason? Do I spend the extra $500 now (from $2,200 to $2,700) to get it on the SWX Hitachi? Will I care that much down the line? Serious q's here - thanks any anyone's time.

Caleb

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Caleb,

The SWX has significantly better specs than the UWX. I think you can definitely tell a difference, but I can't say for sure. Personally, if I do a Hitachi, I will do the SWX.

HDX does have a DVI port. To most people it is worth the $300.

As far as the PQ of the H and HDX, does the HDX look noticeably better? What's the extent of the signal inputs you've seen on them?

leesvideo.com quoted me $1887 for the 50" HDX. I will have to buy online anyways if I do the HDX since no one around carries or sells them. I'll probably buy from OneCall.com though if I do that TV.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I went with the H model and am quite happy with it. Having said that the only reason I saved the money was Toshiba does not sell the 42" HDX in Canada and I didn't want to jump to anything bigger. I didn't feel my living room was big enough. I compared the 50" models to see the difference and found the picture quality to be similar but the anti-glare screen was much better on the HDX and the DVI input may turn out to be a big bonus in the future (we'll have to wait and see).

Personally if I had the option I probably would have gone for the HDX but I don't feel like the H was a big let down.

·
Registered
449 Posts
There is a very noticeable difference between the H and HDX .. i can say this with conviction as i was shopping and bought my HDX last night. Store had 57H82 and 50HDX82 next to each other .. The H82 is a very nice screen it still beat out the Mits and Sony in the room, but the HDX showed NO reflections from anything in the room (the H did) and a much better picture.

Not to mention the HDX has DVI, the H doesn't .. that alone is a $300 feature that you are going to want. So putting aside the fact that you get better crt's better guns .. your paying for dvi and getting the others free

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks riekl,

Reason I posted this question was because I can't find an HDX anywhere to look at, but plenty of H's. I actually found an H I liked, and to save some dough, I am reconsidering the HDX's. I would never buy the H simply on the DVI port alone. (no offense to any H owners, I just want DVI).

Frank

Gainesville, FL.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Interesting thing happened today... I finally found a store, the last one on our list, that carried both Toshiba and the Hitachi - and they had the 50" models side by side. The Toshiba was the HDX model I was interested in, but the Hitachi was the UWX, not the SWX model.

From any distance and angle, the Hitachi, as they had it set up in the store in their lighting, etc. - the Hitachi (UWX) looked brighter, crisper and the whites more white - visibly. In the HD loop they were showing on all sets, there was a segment that showed a box with some words on it. From say 20' away, I could read the box easily and clearly on the Hitachi, but not at all on the Toshiba (they were side by side, so my eyes were not the issue).

So my questions are two now:

1) Is this brightness (whites whiter, lines crisper) a real issue or a set-up in the store issue?

2) Should I even be considering the UWX in light of the SWX???

I am soooooo confused - was ready to buy the Toshiba HDX, then this issue came up at the end of my visit.

Cheers & Thanks to all,

Caleb

·
Registered
449 Posts
PittCaleb,

Ah ha ! You are exactly the kind of consumer Hitachi is targeting :) You know all of this talk about "red push" ? You just fell victim to the reason it was invented .. Hitachi uses a great deal of blue to make their whites appear whiter in a showroom to try to stand out from the crowd. Hence they have to "push" the red to make faces look even close to realistic (which really fails utterly).

Toshiba does not do this, their sets are not calibrated from the factory to try to out torch the next set. This is why Toshibas have the best OOTB expereince for end users, their factory settings are closest to ideal (please note i am NOT saying they are ideal they still need a lot of tinkering, but they are the "closest" to it).

This is the problem with typical showrooms you can't get any idea how the set is going to perform in YOUR room .. unless you have an AVS shop like mine which has all the big screens in a dark room with black walls ... All I can tell you is this .. The Toshiba HDX is a much superiour set to the UWX .. now the SDX is slightly better then the HDX .. and you pay $600 for that very slight edge.

If you have the money .. a SWX is probably the ideal set ... if your willing to live with a set that is 98% as good for $600 less .. get the HDX you will NOT be disapointed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
In answer to your original question, I've not seen them side by side, but have seen resolution pics of the H and my new HDX does better, even without a full calibration yet. Plus the DVI is important, IMHO, for the future. Get the HDX if it's just the Toshibas you are comparing. Otherwise, Riekl's response covers just about everything else. I gave up trying to do A/B comparisons in the stores here. They look sooo much better once you get them home, focus, and turn down the contrast and brightness!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.