AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking getting wall mounted rather than in wall.. But, I can't seem to find any L5's locally. If you've heard them, I'd love to hear from you.

Regards,

Michael

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
YES! I heard them this past Saturday at my local dealer, and they sound amazing. I had some NHT CS 8.3's pulling duty for my rear surrounds, which served admirably. These babies will serve a few benefits. First, I will be able to keep more sound in the listening area as I can turn them in; I do not have a 100% dedicated HT area and there is open space behind the listening area. Second, they sound great. My dealer demoed DSOTM on them, and I was blown away by the soundstage and image by them. I know it sounds crazy to be talking those terms with surrounds, but they are that good, especially if they will be mated with other NHT Evolution products (e.g. T5's). Placed my order yesterday. Highly recommended!!! I think TonyGeno has a pair on order as well.

·
Premium Member
7,321 Posts
I've got a pair. (Thanks, John). They showed on Monday, I mounted them last night and gave them a listen after calibration. To me, the most important thing is that the timbre match to the M5s is superb. Pans (of pink noise, at least) show an almost perfect match. I am very, very pleased!

The mounting arrangement is very clever and the fit and finish is superb. Sonically, if you love the M5s you'll love the L5s. 'Nuff said.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonygeno
Sonically, if you love the M5s you'll love the L5s. 'Nuff said.
That is what's got me drooling the most...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I was going to start a new thread, but thought I'd dig this one up instead. Well, my L5's arrived this past Monday, and I installed them last night, and I just couldn't be more pleased. While my in-ceiling NHT CS 8.3's did a very admirable job, these just the system over the top. Tony is right, when I was running autio MCACC on my Elite 45TX, it sounded like I had a couple of M5's mounted on my wall. I just finished going through a lot of my demo discs, and there is a world of difference. Now you notice that there is definitely something back there, instead of is that sound coming from your ceiling? Played the 3 Doors Down SACD, and it just sounds amazing on the NHT setup. For kicks, I threw in one of my mix cd's and put the 45TX on multi-channel stereo, and notched it up to 0, and, oh, buddy, whatch out!!! My buddy was over, and he was like, "Holy Sh!t!". These really work a lot better for me as it is not closed off behind my back couch. Really helps keep the sound in the listening area compared to the in-ceilings.

Also, installation was a breeze. Just find yourself a stud, and hang'em up. the mounting bracket is sweet. You can just rotate them as you need to up to 180 degrees. My 5.1 speakers are complete, and I couldn't be happier with the NHT setup.

BTW, TonyGeno, have you had a chance to install yours yet?

·
Premium Member
7,321 Posts
Hey, Jonny.

I installed them prior to giving my thouoghts back on 9/10. They really are awesome, and I'm glad I made the switch from the SB2. The SB2 sounded muffled in comparison and were not a great timbre match. The L's are a perfect match. I am very happy.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you folks think going w/ L5's for the rear surronds on a 5.1 setup is advisable in a 12' x 15' room? I assume going w/ all L5's would be idea.. what are my alternatives? I definitely need wall/ceiling type speakers.

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Michael,

My listening area is approx. 13' x 16', just a little bigger than yours, and I have the T5's up fron with the L5's as surrounds, and it fills the room very nicely. I think L5's all the way around would be pretty sweet with one of their U subs. There's probably not a lot of other speakers out their in the L5's price range that can run with them for on/in wall speakers.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mitchius
Anyone know why John Ashman doesn't post anymore?

Thanks, Mitch
I don't think the powers to be really liked him, but there was thread a while back that they felt reason to boot him.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I understand that these are matched with the M5/M6s. I want to upgrade from my superxeros and am thinking about M5s across the front.

Are you M5 users generally pleased with these speakers and do you think this will be a noticable upgrade (100% HT use) compared to my xeros?

Also, how will the xeros perform as surrounds with the M5s?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,321 Posts
The difference will be night and day. The Zeros have no bass and roll off rather high to blend easily with a subwoofer. THe M5's will sound more extended on top, more extended on the bottom, will be more transparent, and will play much louder. Afterall you're comparing with a 3 or 4 to 1 price differential.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
mskreis,

Like Tony said, it will be a night and day difference. Don't get me wrong, the SuperZero's are great speakers for their price, but when you step up to the M5's, you're getting into big boy territory. Heck, you may even re-discover listening to music with the M5's after you listen to them. They are that good for both - HT and music. Although, the L5's would be ideal for surrounds, the SuperZero's would serve the purpose for the time being if there are budgetary constraints. Your fronts are really that much more important to a certain extent than your surrounds, as that is where most of the sound is coming from. Just go listen to the M5's and you'll see what we're talking about. Heck, take your SuperZero's in with you and see if your dealer will let you do a side by side comparison, or better yet, see if you can take a demo pair of M5's home with you.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thanks for the advice on the M5s. As far as surrounds are concerned, is there any advantage to going with the L5s over the M5s other than the obvious mounting advantages?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Not that I know of. The L5's are supposed to sonically match the M5's, so outside of the mounting advantage, it would be 6 one way, half a dozen the other. I must admit, the L5's look pretty formidable hanging on the wall. Don't get me wrong, they are very nicely designed and do not add clutter to your walls, but when you look at them, you're like, "dang, looks like that thing can put out some sound!" Oh, and it does. Really, if you wanted to do wall mounters all the way around, the L5's would be hard to beat for anything that is not sitting on the floor. I do like how the T5's serve up bass. For example, listen to U-571 with them, and notice how they alternate the depth charge blasts, as opposed to just a sub in the corner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.