AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, I found like one or tiny posts of people who have seen it at shows and one long post saying these things are piled up in warehouses because they can't be shipped due to some argument over copy issues and resolutions etc etc.

For those who don't know, this is supposedly what is coming next year in the next generation of dvd players.

Samsung Link

It generates 1080i or 720p from a regular DVD. Great development. Philips supposedly has another player besides the 963sa that may do this too if they actually go into production on it.

Does anyone have any better information?

Anyone actually seen one or know someone who has?

I heard Q1 2003 but now I am hearing from several places a handful have already been sold. Several people swear they have seen like just one or two in NYC audio/video stores?

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
It would require a change in licensing rules, since the DVD Forum currently does not allow players with output resolutions beyond 480p. (There apparently are dodges to get around this, since Faroudja is selling a unit that does exactly what the Samsung unit does.) It's a copy-protection issue--the same thing that held up 480p for quite a while. I suspect it may eventually allowed on players with HDCP-protected DVI outputs, but that's a surmise on my part.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Can't find one for sale yet....

BUT......

Did you read the little notice on the page?

*Notice: If playing a copy-protected DVD, 720p output or 1080i output is automatically converted to 480p output. Picture flickering may occur for 1~2 seconds during the shifting process.

I assume it was just up-converting the 480 DVD signal to 720 or 1080.

Now it won't even do that. Not much use for it now..

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Other than a hack to output 720p or 1080i on copy protected DVDs, it MAY be that a Macrovision free player from overseas might output the higher reses on Macrovision protected DVDs.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I wonder when they talk about copy-protected discs whether they are referring to CSS and not Macrovision? In which case there would be hardly any discs unprotected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.