AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
This unit is expected to be released in October. I'd heard somewhere that the next public showing will be Oct 1, and I'm waiting with bated breath for the inevitable (I hope!) reviews to be posted here. Especially since my own HT project is waiting for one at the moment... I'm hoping that this thing is *it*.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
It certainly sounds interesting. The video processing features are exactly what the JVC G-series lacks. And 32db noise level sounds really good. A weight of 12 pounds, though, doesn't seem to allow for a xenon light path and three-panel LCOS/D-ILA system.

I can't find a spec sheet on the Hitachi site, and nothing I saw says whether it uses three panels like the G-series or what type lamp it is.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Quote:
Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)
Sometimes I wish I lived closer to civilization.

BW

------------------

~ An AMERICAN Cheapskate (I stopped being a "Sultan" on 9.11.01) ~

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Actually, Bob, it could get better. If the rascals at ABC, FOX and UPN would actually braodcast some HDTV source !

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph, Vutec 107x60 (16:9),

[This message has been edited by dreamer (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Bob, I live close to civilization. But I got a mountain between me and Mt. Wilson.

Therefore, its just HBOHD,SHOHD,CBSHD,and HDNET for me.

On topic, yea , I saw the Hitachi at Infocomm.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 09-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I don't think it is actually a D-ILA. D-ILA is JVC's trademark for their LCoS chips. Hitachi simply describes this projector as LCoS.

Like Ken, I saw it at Infocomm. Very poorly displayed, couldn't tell a thing about it. No one at the booth knew anything about it.

We were all puzzled, except for a group with Sony badges who were amused.

We'll have to wait to see.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
That is a good point, whether it is D-ILA or some other LCOS design. At Infocomm 2000, a JVC rep told me that JVC was actively trying to sell their D-ILA panels and light path to other OEMs -- trying to move D-ILA into the same component-level niche that TI has for DLP.

But ... the LCOS panels that RCA is using for their LC50000 RPTV are not coming from JVC, so maybe Hitachi's aren't either. You've got me curious where Hitachi is getting the panels. I assumed JVC because the resolution is the same as the JVC.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph, Vutec 107x60 (16:9),

[This message has been edited by dreamer (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dreamer:
...doesn't seem to allow for a xenon light path and three-panel LCOS/D-ILA system...

You've got me curious where Hitachi is getting the panels. I assumed JVC because the resolution is the same as the JVC.
Have a look at Projector Central. It's a 220W UHB bulb and the resolution is a standard one. 1365x1024 is called SXGA+ I think. I'm also pretty sure I read that Hitachi design/manufacture these LCOS panels themselves.

·
Registered
578 Posts
threefive systems makes RCA's LCoS chips. They (threefive) by the way are getting set to begin production on a 1200x1920 chip! Now that's what I want in a front projector!

And a bulb that'll last!! fusionlighting seems to have the answer for this... I hope!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Okay, Azyran, tell me about "fusionlighting" Does it have anything to do with the production of helium or with the "Mr. Fusion" machine from Back to the Future? What is the deal? Art

·
Registered
578 Posts
 www.fusionlighting.com (another forum member pointed it out to me and 've been telling others)

Small quartz spheres filled with sulfer and argon gas excited by radio frequency. Super bright. Super long lasting. Normal pressure (not super high pressure like most bulbs).

Easily glows at 6500K, and looks like no light leakage (it gets placed in a ceramic cup with a small opening to focus the light even furthur), and no fan either!

If this baby hits the projector world soon, it's gonna change everything!

It's been in production in the past, but pulled off the market to get redesigned (why, I don't know?) but at least it ain't vaporware for sure!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.